OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 07:53 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
The PCYC as a table tennis venue is slowly getting off the ground. Having said that, the problem with daytime (afternoon) play in the room we use is not going to be easily solved. We have been told definitively that there is no way to manually override the external louvres so that they will totally block out the sun. Played the L1C a couple more times Friday and Sunday without loss. The manager has finally gotten back to me with when we can have the room during working hours to have a photographer from the local newspaper take some shots - that will be Thursday week hopefully.

The casual Saturday afternoons that I help run is a little down on numbers at the moment. Hopefully that will pick up.

Went to practice last night and played JC first up. I have lost to him the last couple of practice nights, but this time I prevailed 3-1. Then I played AF and lost either 1-3 or 2-3 (what is the first thing to go as you get older?). Then I played a visiting penholder, G? who could really both hit the ball and loop kill it. I managed to beat him by slowing the game down and spinning the ball. He is over from Brazil and hasn't played much here. Once he is more in practice I think he will be too good and strong for me.

On Friday I will be playing in the Div 2 Top 5 tournament where the 5 who had the best winning average (and played a minimum number of matches) from the last comp play a round robin to find the best. Due to a drop out, AF mentioned above is also playing, so life will be interesting, to say the least.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 10:10 

Played in the Division 2 Top 5 tournament last night. This round-robin format for the 5 players in the division with the best percentages of winning individual matches in the Autumn comp, having played a minimum number of matches to qualify.

There were 2 players from each of 2 clubs so they had to play first to remove any possibility of dodgy results later on to influence things. So first up I had to play AF from my club who had beaten me last Monday night at practice. Under tournament conditions things were very different. I beat him 3-1. Next was S from MU, who is a forehand looper but pushes on his backhand, result 3-0. Then was CL, a penhold jack of all trades who could loop and had some very well-disguised kicker serves, who I didn't play in the comp rounds. We traded games till 2-2 then he got away and won the 5th 8-11 so 2-3. Last I played MR and another 3-0. CL also lost a match along the way, I think to MR.

So at the end of play CL & I tied with 3 wins. Now in the usual way of tie-breaking according to the ITTF rules, we would exclude all results except those between us. This would have meant that CL had won as he beat me, and I was prepared for that once the round-robin was finished. However, the powers that be wanted to take into account overall games for and against to break the tie. My overall games for and against were 11-4. CL had 11-7, so I won. I was presented with the perpetual trophy and pictures taken (so it happened :) ). I have to give the trophy back at the next committee meeting for engraving then get it back at the District championships along with a medal to keep.

Now organising a doubles partner for the District championships, and also a team in Division 1 in the upcoming Spring comp.

In other news I have received a time and day for when the venue in the PCYC is available during working hours for a local paper photographer to take some happy snaps for a later article in the paper and have advised the journo of this. Now waiting for the journo to confirm this.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 13:00 

Did the usual casual Saturday afternoon thing at the community centre, then got word that the L1C wouldn't be turning up to the PCYC on Sunday. So I turned up early, and we were put in a lobby area with 3 tables. Dim, on marble (how we take the flooring for granite), and directly in front of the toilets / changing rooms / water station. On the plus side there was no direct sunlight. Apparently the multifunction room was booked for the launch of a "non-party party" that will contest the upcoming local government elections. Money talks.

On Monday I started coming down with a cold, and last night played AF and lost, MD and lost, G? and won 11-8 or 9 in the 5th.

I also organised a partner for doubles in the upcoming district championships, and we now have a Div 1 team as well as the old Div 2 team. Div 1 is me, MD, JC & AF at the moment. We really need another player. Maybe one will appear. We also need a name. The Div 2 team last comp was the Pirates, so I suggested either Privateers or Buccaneers.

Finally I have confirmed a photographer from the local newspaper for Thursday at the PCYC. Hopefully the manager there is still OK with the time and day.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 11:39 

The Div 1 team will now be known as the Buccaneers. In the absence of any other suggestions the club secretary chose this to put on the team entry form. Yours truly will be the captain.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 12:29 

Last Thursday had the local paper's photographer come to take some happy snaps. I asked him if he had much experience with table tennis. His answer? 2 Olympics he said. Ooops. L1C and I just hit with each other while he was setting up, then he took some action shots as we continued. Then he wanted me to set L1C up for smashes as this gave him the most preparation time. Then we swapped sides and L1C did the same for me. Then the #@$ louvres on the windows decided to change orientation, throwing the photographer's lighting out. We then explained that the louvres were an ongoing issue for daylight hours play. Then he wanted us to both shape up to serve, but without the table and essentially nose to nose. When the photographer was finished, L1C & I had a single game, which I won 11-9 after being behind. I begged off any more as I had been coming down with what AF has christened "the man flu" since Monday.

I didn't go to the Friday evening session at the PCYC (see man flu) and only went to the Saturday afternoon at the community centre to open, collect money and closeit up as my partner in crime there could not do so.

There was a picture and short article in Saturday's local paper on table tennis at the PCYC. The photo was of L1C, so I texted him with the page number. Unfortunately the picture caption mentioned the RSL club incorrectly while the article was correct in mentioning the venue as the PCYC. I have emailed my journalist contact at the paper about the error.

Sunday I did go to the PCYC and, as they say, any publicity is good publicity. There was one guy who had gone to the RSL first only to be told that they didn't know anything about it. We had quite a few people turn up to play and a few who came to see what it was like who will hopefully come again.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 14:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good promotion for sure!

How did you get the local newspaper interested in the first place?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 14:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
For someone whose TT was on the downslide you have certainly seem to have retrieved it (see what I did there :P ) :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 14:58 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Can you post a copy here?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 16:31 

I will try, however it is The Manly Daily 5/8/17, page 32.

Just saved the page as a .htm to local disk, then used the Upload attachment. This didn't like it. :(

Anyway, googling Manly Daily 5/8/17 should get you there.

I sent an email to the editor asking for help in publicising the new table tennis group at the new PCYC. He put me on to a journalist who organised the photographer, who could only be booked during Monday to Friday, 9-5. I then had to get a slot in the room that we use at the PCYC and then organise with the journalist for the photographer to get there at that time, get time off work and for the L1C to get time off work as well. The photographer was going to be an hour later I found out on the day so had to tell the PCYC and the L1C.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 17:30 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Might change every day but its there for now

http://newslocal.smedia.com.au/manly-daily/

Page 32

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 12:41 

Continuing the saga of getting publicity ...

Then on Friday at lunch time I got a message via my wife that the journalist needed to talk to me urgently. So I rang him and he did an interview over the phone and mentioned that there would be something in the Noticeboard section on Saturday and then an article and pictures next week. Well the "something in the Noticeboard section" was a lot more than I was expecting, even with the error in caption. My wife's comment was that that was all we will get. There was nothing in today's paper, but the week is young.

In other news :)
Went to the club last night and played G who I lost to in 5, and MD who I beat 3-1. As I am getting over man flu, I called that a night and went home early for some brownie points.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 16:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Retriever wrote:
Just saved the page as a .htm to local disk, then used the Upload attachment. This didn't like it. :(

THere's a good reason for this... security. .htm pages can so easily be manipulated to contain malicious code. If you can save it to a pdf or doc, it should upload.... if not Email it to me and I'll do it for you.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 12:04 

Another table tennis weekend ...

Went to the PCYC on Friday night and got caught holding the baby as L1C wanted an early night. Had a reasonable turn up.

Saturday afternoon at the community centre was improved on last week - we took in more than the rent which is always a very good sign.

Sunday afternoon at the PCYC was a little down - we did have one inquiry from the ad. last week, then 2 more turned up with 5 minutes to go on the session. We also had our whine about the louvres. The staff member on had instructions to basically turn everything off for 15-20 minutes then everything would work to shut them totally. Of course it didn't, so the manager got called out, another 20 minutes to half an hour. He then tried the instructions himself and it was still no go. I heard then that the louvres and controllers are actually connected to, if not via, the internet. Maybe next week we will be able to have glare-free table tennis, however I won't be there to enjoy it as I will be at a tournament, the local association's championships.

Pennant comp starts this week, so in addition to tonight's practise we have an away match on Thursday night.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 07:27 

Went to the club for practice last night, and also to confirm that the team will turn up on Thursday night. Played JC and lost, then played AF and lost as well. Went home early for brownie points as this coming week is more table tennis heavy with last night, Thursday night pennant, Friday night at the PCYC, Saturday afternoon at the community centre, Sunday assisting at and playing in the district championships all day, then perhaps Monday night practice at the club again.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 12:00 

Played our 1st comp match for the new comp last night. AF, myself & JC played against SBO, SH (who I lost to last comp) & AW, a team of junior girls.

I played SBO first up. She was a chopper of Korean extraction, but didn't like the variety of spin I had on offer but did get a game off me. JC played AW at the same time. She was a flat hitter similar to SH and beat him. JC & I played doubles against SH & AW. We won the 1st 2 games, then the opposition got some coaching from a veteran lady I know, and came back to win the 3rd. We then went on to win the 4th reasonably comfortably. For my last singles I played SH and beat her, fortunately. Then AF & I played SBO & SH and won. All up we won 6-3.

In other news, our old division 2 team had some new players and played last Monday. I received a call from their captain yesterday that one of their new players was too strong and that the opposition had worked out that the new player had not given us his full name for registration and had not told us that he had a RC rating that qualified him (just) for Premier division, which is 2 divisions above Div 2. I looked at the emails about it last night and assured the captain that the new player was indeed too strong and that the association was within its rights to default his rubbers in the match on Monday night and that it might be an idea to ask new players their full name and RC rating and checking if they have an RC rating before registering them. Oh well. We may have a 4th player in our Div 1 team if the association is OK with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next