OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: 03 May 2015, 16:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I had our third week of competition, and this time against a tougher team, with more aggressive players, ie they'll try and attack most balls. Having lost all 3 of my matches this week, I spend some time reflecting on what was happening, and I realised two things about the equipment I was using.

1. I absolutely love the Victas blade (VKM) for looping (with the 401), but mainly when players allow me to attack, ie looping their pushes. When players are more aggressive and topspin most balls, I tend to go in a more defensive mode as I cannot keep up with them in a fast aggressive game, and only by slowing down the game I can beat them. Chopping with the VKM on the forehand is really still in a development stage for me, as it does not come natural (while it does for my backhand) and it requires a lot more practice to get to a level when I can use it against aggressive player in my grade. Blocking on the forehand has always bean a weakness of mine, so I try to avoid that as well. In other words, the aspects that I love the VKM for, I can't really utilise against these types of players, so I've lost the advantage.

2. The VKM has quite a bit of a harder feel compared to the balsa Smart blade that I'm, used it, and the harder feel makes it less forgiving. This was more noticable against aggressive players, and it caused more unforced errors. I'm keen to try the VKM with Dtecs with a 0.5mm sponge, as this would bring back the much softer feel that the Smart gives because of the balsa, although adding a sponge would obviously make it more bouncy for the short game.

So I decided to spend yesterday's practice session to compare the Smart to the VKM again, and after playing quite a few matches against decent players that like to attack, it was clear that the Smart suits me a lot better. I think the VKM will be a lot better with a sponged long pimple, where the chopping part of the game really excels. Similarly for those that chop on the forehand, the VKM would be very suitable, but since I do very little of this, I don't get the benefits from it.

So I went back to the Smart, and after quite a few game, I got my feeling back, and got reminded how much control the Smart offers. As several people already reminded me off, I had my best season ever last year with the Smart, so why would I change? :oops: :oops: :oops: I will return to the VKM after this season finished, and will try it with a sponged Dtecs (0.5mm).
For me the Smart offers something quite unique...in the short game I get really good reversal as you would with a hard blade, but when chopping away from the table the soft feeling makes the LPs feel quite soft and you can generate similar spin compared to a sponged LP. The balsa almost seems to act like a very thin sponge when you're chopping loops.

So I continued yesterday's practice session withe the Smart, and re-gained a lot of confidence, and most parts of my game fell back into place. Next competition night, which will be against a similar team to last week, might tell me if this is the right decision....

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 21:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I can't believe I've not written in this blog for so long. :( :( :(

So excited this last week... have to share a little.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I Played State League again this year, and we're just into finals now. Our grade has 7 teams, and the top 7 make it into finals. We just managed to make the top 4 at the end of the minor round.... scraped in by percentage. Our other (Brighton) team finished in 2nd spot, and the #1 and #2 teams were well ahead of the rest of the pack, the #1 team undefeated for the whole season.

Anyway, so finals started last week. #1 plays #2, the winner goes into the Grand finals, the loser gets a second chance and plays the winner of #3 and #4 (the loser is out).

Our club's other team (#2) put up a great effort, beating the undefeated #1 team, so going straight into the grand final, awesome!
We played the #3 team who beat us pretty convincing last times and were well ahead of us on he ladder, so we were the clear underdogs. We put up a great fight, real good team communication and support... and we manage a win! :party:

So this week we played the #1 team. As they were undefeated throughout the season, beat us twice already, and we just scraped into the top 4, I didn't like our chances, but were weren't going down without a fight. Well our No 1 put in an amazing effort, beating their number 1 (who finished top player for the year) convincingly! I managed to pull off 2 wins as well, both matches going right down to the line... so we caused the biggest upset, knocking out the #1 team! :party: :party: :party: I do feel bad for the #1 team though... they worked real hard the whole year, and probably deserved to make the Grand finals, and they're really nice guys too. :( :( :(

I think we made some history for our club as well, because this is probably the first time that two teams in our top grade is playing off in the Grand Final are both from the same club! Whatever happens in the Grand Final, I feel like we've won already. :party:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 07:28 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

:up: :clap: vid Alex and team and club!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 13:49 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
that's brilliant, Alex - who'd you beat - Marc and Paul G.?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 15:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

PRW wrote:
that's brilliant, Alex - who'd you beat - Marc and Paul G.?

Nop, they're the ones we're playing in the Grand final this Sat. :( :( :(

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 16:35 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Well done Alex, I hope you & the team keep going onward & upward. Best wishes for the Grand Final :clap: :clap: :up: :rock: :rock: then :party: :party: :party:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 23:22 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

ok, another guess - Pavel? :)
If so - wow!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 11:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

PRW wrote:
ok, another guess - Pavel? :)
If so - wow!

Correct on that one! That was in the Semi-final. :up:

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 12:36 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Very impressive- Pavel is a very, very good player. Would have been a great game to watch!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 19:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thank you. :up: I must be a 'very very good player' too then :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 20:21 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Congratulations! You guys just keep getting better!!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 02:38 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

haggisv wrote:
Thank you. :up: I must be a 'very very good player' too then :lol: :lol: :lol:

for that, you get three "very's".... :D :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 14:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Attachment:
brighton-s_l.jpg
brighton-s_l.jpg [ 84.28 KiB | Viewed 2645 times ]

Well we didn't win the grand final, but lost to worthy opponents and had a great day! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 13:43 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

well done, Alex - some very competitive players there!

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 10:43 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
The PIC is PROOF, good stuff.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9