OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 02:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
BRS wrote:
fastmover wrote:
BRS wrote:
You made some beautiful shots in this match and your backhand is really consistent with quality. It looked like you were off-balance a lot, and got knocked back off the table, or were unable to follow up a good first fh sometimes when you had the advantage.

Thanks, BRS. I am often off balance because my opponent pushes and punches quickly. He is not easy to play. But I am actually worried by my tendency to take a step back after a BH opener, probably I should be closer to the table.

I think maintaining good balance against difficult receives to your fh is something you could work on. A lot of your errors result directly from that, imo. As good as your backhand is in this video, I would redirect all your pivot training time towards lateral movement to and from your wide forehand.

But it's only one match, so maybe I am drawing too much from it.

BRS, I think you are right. It is not just one match. In last two weeks I've been practicing this particular shot (an opener against a quick push to my FH) quite a lot. I used to do a lot of regular footwork practice (like 2-point FH, or FH from 2/3 of the table) before, but I put it on hold in favor of stroke development and pivot. Time to get it back.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 02:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
BRS wrote:

I think maintaining good balance against difficult receives to your fh is something you could work on. A lot of your errors result directly from that, imo. As good as your backhand is in this video, I would redirect all your pivot training time towards lateral movement to and from your wide forehand.

But it's only one match, so maybe I am drawing too much from it.

Everyone seems to use the term "wide" liberally. To and from his "forehand", period. IT's not easy for your opponent to get to the wide forehand when balls are placed to your opponent's backhand. But maybe my long arms are biasing my view.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 03:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If you wonder why I made so many easy mistakes in the first two games but then it got better: a possible explanation is that I played hard with the robot for maybe an hour before the league. So it probably put off my timing and other things off for a while. Unfortunately, it is my only option to play with the robot nowadays so I have to accept that this practice may decrease my performance in the competition. Or may not.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 00:21 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Huge fan of the latest videos that emphasize hip usage, got instant boost in speed, spin and consistency, here are my attempts to implement it in my forehand in last training:

Hip topspin vs block:
https://youtu.be/PowocHNNlj8

-my upper arm dances a bit too much back and forth and sometime the bat ends close to and over my head and not far in front as in Brett's presentation, but overall super happy with my current technique vs block. Consistency, power and spin are at my record levels and I really wouldn't mind if my technique got stuck at this level (but will strive for more of course :-) )

Hip topspin vs backspin:
https://youtu.be/1B287Iw0zeA

Here things look much uglier:
-worse timing with less coordination, seem to often turn hip back, wait and then move forward from halt position
-with most of my attention on hips my exaggerated upward swing is in full motion; every swing ends with my elbow over my shoulder and bat way above my head and sometimes even behind my head !

On the bright side, even such subpar form is completely functional with me hitting and landing most of my topspins with quite respectable amount of rotation

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 06:32 

Barfly the stroke looks beautiful but I feel like theres an element of coming into neutral position is missing. can u do a drill where your opponent blocks the ball randomly to your fh side and share the results? Im not really sure about my criticism so I will be thankful to u if u can share what happened during the drill.
thanks

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 10:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
Huge fan of the latest videos that emphasize hip usage, got instant boost in speed, spin and consistency, here are my attempts to implement it in my forehand in last training:

Hip topspin vs block:
https://youtu.be/PowocHNNlj8

-my upper arm dances a bit too much back and forth and sometime the bat ends close to and over my head and not far in front as in Brett's presentation, but overall super happy with my current technique vs block. Consistency, power and spin are at my record levels and I really wouldn't mind if my technique got stuck at this level (but will strive for more of course :-) )

Hip topspin vs backspin:
https://youtu.be/1B287Iw0zeA

Here things look much uglier:
-worse timing with less coordination, seem to often turn hip back, wait and then move forward from halt position
-with most of my attention on hips my exaggerated upward swing is in full motion; every swing ends with my elbow over my shoulder and bat way above my head and sometimes even behind my head !

On the bright side, even such subpar form is completely functional with me hitting and landing most of my topspins with quite respectable amount of rotation

Your topspin against block looks fantastic.

Your topspin against backspin is okay too. The hip should come up slightly whilst rotating forward. I think you'll be fine even though it's a bit rough now.

I originally made LTT80 in response to your backhand topspin. Can I see where you are at?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 22:16 

big d wrote:
Barfly the stroke looks beautiful but I feel like theres an element of coming into neutral position is missing. can u do a drill where your opponent blocks the ball randomly to your fh side and share the results? Im not really sure about my criticism so I will be thankful to u if u can share what happened during the drill.
thanks

Thank you for the compliment and your observation!

You are right, I often start the stroke from the finishing position of the last one without resetting and my trainer often warns be about it, luckily that mostly happens in diagonal drills where ball returns really fast at me and in random drills I reset more often

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 22:56 

Quote:

Your topspin against backspin is okay too. The hip should come up slightly whilst rotating forward. I think you'll be fine even though it's a bit rough now.

I originally made LTT80 in response to your backhand topspin. Can I see where you are at?

Thank you very much, I will practice moving my hips slightly upward vs backspin and go back to stopping the upper arm drill you recommended to me in ETTS 25- it worked in improving my swing path and snapping vs block so it should work vs backspin too.

Regarding my current backhand topspin, think it looks very good considering how short I am practicing incorporating hips:

BH topspin vs block:
https://youtu.be/9EKDxnEPIyo

BH topspin vs backspin:
https://youtu.be/Sm4WJp97zrE

-first 30 seconds is only BH then we moved to random backspin balls and think my backhand held nicely there too

Also, my favorite practice point of the day and proof my backhand sometimes works even in real match conditions, in fact, it works so well that even my super competent trainer blocks it off the table from time to time:

https://youtu.be/pY_1SC2l0sA

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 00:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett, did you mention at some point doing something about physical training? I thought I saw that here but haven't found it going back through the thread. Maybe I imagined it.

I'm curious about how serious players balance physical training and table training so they aren't too tired to maximize their table time. Also would be interested in how to taper physical training before competitions.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 00:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am also interested in physical training. My main concern is strengthening legs so I can stay low. I currently do all kind of jumps (jump rope, squat jumps, frog jumps, etc) + uphill sprints. Feels like it helps to move faster, but does not help to stay lower. It hurts like hell after 30 seconds if I try to sit as low as this: https://www.facebook.com/KristianKarlss ... 247722915/ . I wonder if going to a gym to do squats with a barbell is unavoidable.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 02:33 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I heard from a lower level pro player that you need to work on your quadriceps or your inner and outer thighs. One of them held with the width of the stance, the other with lateral movement. Of course, I have no desire to injure myself so most of the stuff I do is for injury prevention. I am okay with my 1900 stand straight game at the moment.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 11:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
Quote:

Thank you very much, I will practice moving my hips slightly upward vs backspin and go back to stopping the upper arm drill you recommended to me in ETTS 25- it worked in improving my swing path and snapping vs block so it should work vs backspin too.

Regarding my current backhand topspin, think it looks very good considering how short I am practicing incorporating hips:

BH topspin vs block:
https://youtu.be/9EKDxnEPIyo

BH topspin vs backspin:
https://youtu.be/Sm4WJp97zrE

-first 30 seconds is only BH then we moved to random backspin balls and think my backhand held nicely there too

Also, my favorite practice point of the day and proof my backhand sometimes works even in real match conditions, in fact, it works so well that even my super competent trainer blocks it off the table from time to time:

https://youtu.be/pY_1SC2l0sA

Thanks Barfly. I think your backhand is going really well.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 11:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett, did you mention at some point doing something about physical training? I thought I saw that here but haven't found it going back through the thread. Maybe I imagined it.

I'm curious about how serious players balance physical training and table training so they aren't too tired to maximize their table time. Also would be interested in how to taper physical training before competitions.

Yep, I said it. We filmed a bunch of stuff a few weeks ago and failed to film gym exercises even though it was on the list. It will happen soon.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 11:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I am also interested in physical training. My main concern is strengthening legs so I can stay low. I currently do all kind of jumps (jump rope, squat jumps, frog jumps, etc) + uphill sprints. Feels like it helps to move faster, but does not help to stay lower. It hurts like hell after 30 seconds if I try to sit as low as this: https://www.facebook.com/KristianKarlss ... 247722915/ . I wonder if going to a gym to do squats with a barbell is unavoidable.

The more sport-specific the exercise, the more it is helpful it will be. Everything you do for strength is positive, however, running up a hill should have almost no impact on your TT. It does sound like a great way to lose weight though.

I was at a coaching course in 2000 or 2001 and one of the Swedish coaches told us a story. It went something like this.... The Swedish TT coach went to the Swedish running coach and asked him how to make his players faster. The running coach then asked the TT coach to show him the footwork patterns he wanted the players to be fast at. The TT coach showed him TT footwork. The running coach said, "practise that footwork!"

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 00:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I know a better way to lose weight -- stop eating donuts. But I'd rather run uphill...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 568  Next