OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: It it too much?
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 07:53 

Blade: Joola
FH: Mark V
BH: Mark V
I am currently playing with Mark 5 rubbers and I am very agressive and want a faster rubber, I have done my research and like the look of the TIBHAR evolution EL-P do you think this is too much of a jump for spin and speed if not please tell me if so please tell me a recommendat ion that would be good for me.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: It it too much?
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 08:03 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Mulltman05 wrote:
I am currently playing with Mark 5 rubbers and I am very agressive and want a faster rubber, I have done my research and like the look of the TIBHAR evolution EL-P do you think this is too much of a jump for spin and speed if not please tell me if so please tell me a recommendat ion that would be good for me.
Thank you
My usual recommendation,

Pinjam punya teman (borrowing from a friend) is always a good way to understand rubbers. ;)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 08:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
It could be in max but I've used EL-P in 1.9mm and seemed more controllable. I'd suggest you go 1.9mm. If testing things out I think it's worth taking a decent step up for contrast but without wasting your money.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 09:19 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Many coaches recommend something like Xiom Vega Europe as a first tensor. It’s a little slower, softer and more controllable. But we don’t know anything about your game and a lot depends on your playing level and training/practice regime. EL-P could be a good choice for you.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 12:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Mulltman05 wrote:
Thank you

Heck, just buy it and try it. You'll never know until you do, and all it costs is money, after all. To be honest, I think you'll be disappointed if you're expecting some sort of quantum leap (and believe all this talk about double the spin and triple the speed). After trying a whole bunch of stuff from Batwings to MX-P, I've come to the conclusion that quantum leaps don't exist in rubber, there ARE differences to be sure, but the differences tend to be subtle rather than in-your-face. Unlike blades. Change blades and you're very likely to feel an obvious difference. Change rubbers? You might actually have to stop and think hard about what's different from one to the next. Don't believe all the hype on TTDB.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 18:39 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
A switch from Mark V to a tensor rubber could be a harder change to adapt to than perhaps switching to a faster blade.

If Mark V suits your game and you just need more top end speed then unless you already use an off or off+ blade then go up a notch or two in blade speed.

If you do change rubber then look for a similar hardness not too bouncy tensor. Soft bouncy tensors such as many Xiom ones could play very different to Mark V. One of the new more linear ones such as regalis blue could be the way to go. Also keep an eye on the rubber weight again avoid to big a change from your current set up. Reduce the number of variables you introduce If your game is settled.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017, 20:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

How about a switch from Hard Chinese to a Tensor? I barely noticed, to tell the truth. I could barely tell the difference between Big Dipper and Rasant. When I flipped over to the backhand side from the Rasant, I could tell that the other side (can't remember what it was - 729 Sky Wing/King, Yinhe 9000 or similar) was slower but not by very much. Am now playing with MX-P not because it's faster (it is, however.....) but because I paid so darn much for it I want to get my money's worth... :lol: And for all that money, it's already died and been resurrected once after only six weeks...

Perhaps I should be thankful I'm not so equipment-sensitive.. :lol: I suspect a lot of people are the same way. Of course, I haven't tried Tenergy 05 yet.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 12:44 

Blade: DHS 301
FH: 729 Battle II
BH: Palio AK47 Blue
I had an EL-P on one of the bats.
I don't recommend it. It has a 'flaking off' problem where the rubber literally starts flaking off. Also with the MX-S, and perhaps the whole series. Also short lifespan in general, it felt to me.

If you really wanna have fun, I'd happily recommend the 729 Battle II. It's a $20 very tacky chinese rubber you can order from ali-express or something (free shipping too), so you basically get 2 for the price of 1 euro-rubber, it lasts a long time and it's a very controllable rubber with tons of spin potential :)

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 02:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Maybe I should give this a try too, after I quit using the MX-P. Haven't had any "flaking" problems, but the rubber is starting to look really grotty. This after two rounds of boosting. Boy, did it shrink...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 10:00 
I am Legend
I am Legend

What do people consider "short lifespan" these days?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 13:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Two weeks maybe? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 00:06 

Blade: Primorac Carbon FL
FH: Tenergy 05 Red
BH: Coppa Jo Silver Black
BeGo wrote:
Mulltman05 wrote:
Thank you
My usual recommendation,

Pinjam punya teman (borrowing from a friend) is always a good way to understand rubbers. ;)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

I compeletely agree with "pinjam punya teman" is the best way of knowing rubbers/blade.
I did the same thing. But it depends on you, i say just buy it and try man..

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 00:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Silver wrote:
What do people consider "short lifespan" these days?

Depends if I like a rubber or not. If I like it...3 months is short, 6 months can even be short. I like a year+.

But if I don't like a rubber, or I put it on a blade I didn't like and it shrunk coming off so much it wouldn't go on another...a few weeks is a short life span...tested and discarded! :P

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.