OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 14:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 14:22 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
For those of you using anti over long pips -- what is the reason for doing so? What do you find are the pros/cons for each? Or, why did you stick with long pips?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 14:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Tried anti a couple of times. Just didn't suit my game. I play to work spin around to the opponents disadvantage, not to just kill spin or maybe get a little reversal.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 16:10 

Blade: Nittaku Goriki SD
FH: Donic Baracuda Max
BH: Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX
I can say why I switched from anti to long pimples after 1 year of training...

Reasons in importance order (for me):
1- at my level, new abs ball take less spin from opponents top spin and the consequence is less reversal spin and disturb,
2- LP give me a more active BH than an anti; i’m able to use anti just only for block or push block (i’m a low level player) and (my opinion) long pimple give me a chance to be aggressive, or, maybe, to try something for give problems at opponents also with backspin or chop from middle distance;
3- i used, in this year, many antispin rubber: transformer, mega-block, A.B.S. with modificated sponge... but i was bored bored by decreasing antispin effect after 2 months of training.

In this training session my job is:
1- LP OX BH over no spin ball
2- smash

I tried to use my LP OX like an inverted rubber... lol

https://youtu.be/Pnkh4z0l1N4

The Ultimate Light Saber
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 1.5mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Der-Materialspezialist Elimination Extralong OX
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 2.0mm

Last edited by Ragnolo on 27 Oct 2017, 16:43, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 16:29 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Like many people, I gave slick anti a try, for a few weeks. With a brand new sheet, yes, against spinny shots, I could block with tremendous reversal. However, I felt very vulnerable against no spin and some chopped balls. I understand the shots needed to counter these, and practiced them with my coach for many hours a week for several weeks, but it didn't feel natural, and, more importantly, it didn't feel fun.

I liked to be able to use my LP in a variety of ways - I push, I swipe, I block hard, I block soft, I flick, I attack, I chop, and I can do so with varying degrees of intensity and deception. When I tried anti, I felt like I'd lost all of those tricks. I'm sure I could have developed new ones, but doing so would have taken a very large amount of time, so I reasoned that it would be better to invest my time in getting better at what I already do.

I also noticed that reversal effect wore off quite quickly, which meant that ongoing usage would be an expensive project.

I also feel that the amount of spin and reversal with the plastic ball, and especially some brands of plastic ball, is really quite considerably less than the celluloid ball, and so the potency of the weapon is reduced.

All in all, it just didn't feel fun, or right, for my game. To be clear, I wasn't expecting miracles, and I went into it with the knowledge that I'd need 3-6 months to get the hang of it, but I made the call fairly quickly that I could spend 3-6 months working hard on my existing LP game, more effectively.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 16:52 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
I play with pips. I haven't tried anti much, but here is some reasons.

1. New balls have too less reversal to play with slick anti.
2. Slick anti is difficult to play with.
3. I am slow, so I am forced to chop instead of blocking, and many antis (at least the slick ones) are difficult and uneffective to chop with.
4. I would be pinned to BH with anti, and I can't step around to avoid it.

I tried slick anti and I could play with it decently like with pips right away (but it was very difficult to chop!), but it was just hard to see any advantage of doing so in the near future.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 18:42 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I use slick anti mostly to disturb to setup for FH attack (or twiddle and attack with BH) and to block loops. For this anti is very good and you can block very hard loops with anti, that is very difficult or impossible with LP close to the table. But, with the new ABS ball the spin is lesser and therefore the back spin from blocks is not enough to cause big problems. I am waiting for improved versions of antis to see what can be done, but I may consider changing BH material if there is no good solution. But blocking at the table with LP is probably even less effective. With slick anti you also have the braking effect where the ball seems to stop in the air and this makes timing difficult for the opponent. If I try other stuff I think it will be something like MP for blocking and hitting, or perhaps something like Reflectoid. But I will keep working with anti at least until spring.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017, 18:45 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Oh... forgot... If you play more away from the table and wants to chop, slick anti is not a good choice. A classic anti may work though...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 05:39 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I can see why some would give up the FLanti rubbers for pips -- but how about the slightly more grippy anti spin compared to LP? Like nittaku best anti vs d-techs or something like ctt pogo? Might be kind of a bad example since d-techs has lower grip... Why do push-blockers seem to favor LP over anti most of the time? I've played a lot with both now, but still don't seem much of a difference between the two for my purposes. So I'm seeing if anyone can weigh in on the differences they find.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 06:55 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
It’s a tough choice for me at the moment between slightly grippy classic antis and slow defensive LP’s. My BH is mostly blocking and pushing with some chopping and occasional attacks and both types of rubber can play this role very well.

Currently I think I can play safer and more consistently with anti but I think my opponents have more trouble with LP so I will persist and see if I can get more consistent.

I have no interest in Flanti because I enjoy moving back from the table occasionally as well as having more offensive options. But I hope it’s still legal in the future when I’m older and less mobile. [WINKING FACE]

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 05:56 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Andro Rasanter r47 2.3mm
BH: S&T Hellfire 0.9
Currently using Long pips, but used to use anti. I actually preferred using anti, reason being I got into much longer rallies and felt it was much easier to use, but, it would be an understatement to say I did better with pips. I felt pips had much more reversal, and had potential to create so much backspin it would be almost to Return ( unless your Ma Long :D :rofl: ).I felt that despite anti being easier to use, that even in long rallies, I couldn't create enough backspin to force a good player into an error. Again, this is from personal experiences, so don't be put off anti because of me, it's a great rubber, but just didn't suit my game.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 08:17 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
ModernDef wrote:
I felt that despite anti being easier to use, that even in long rallies, I couldn't create enough backspin to force a good player into an error.

It takes extreme backspin to force a good player into error. The thing is with anti is that you don't want to create spin. Most attacking players are very comfortable playing against high speed and spin, in fact they thrive on it. They are much less comfortable trying to topspin dead balls, especially slow ones, which forces errors. You just need to keep them low enough so that they can't be flat hit. Of course very good players know better how to adjust their strokes.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 05:59 
Super User

Blade: On Elmstreet Ulmo
FH: Palio Flying Dragon
BH: Spinparasite
skilless_slapper wrote:
For those of you using anti over long pips -- what is the reason for doing so? What do you find are the pros/cons for each? Or, why did you stick with long pips?

Main reason is the Ban of frictionless long pimple rubbers.Other reason is it is more easy to attack with anti.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 16:12 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Anti can attack almost any pushes and other low spin balls..

LP is better for a non attacking BH.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2019, 04:07 

Blade: Hallmark combi
FH: Hurricane 2 red side
BH: Curl P1 r .5. black side
Control and safety. I went over to anti at the turn of the frictionless pip ban. my pal gave me a sheet of neo anti. And till this day I've used it. Although it's very old it doesn't really wear still plays well. However up until last season I did get bored with anti. playing some good players who can read it It almost becomes restrictive, and maybe predictable. so, I purchased a sheet of curl p1 r. This is a top class rubber and for chops with plenty of spin it's awesome. I also can hit very well. Back to the anti. If you are able to twiddle. Both hit and defend with anti then this is where it's effective. The key is not to get reliant on it and play every shot with it. Then, it becomes predictable. So, mix is the key, and a confidence to come round and play hits with it. Or, to come round with the normal side (reverse) and power through. Be a modern defender rather than too one paced. Unless you are awesome as a pure defender.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019, 00:22 

FH: Spinfire 2.1, Black
BH: Diabolic Special 1.0, Red
I have been using Nitakku Best Anti for over a year, and it suits me much better than long pips. I found that using long pips requires lots of practice (several times a week) to maintain touch, and without that the number of points I win because of any long pips advantage is offset by the number of point is lose because I misjudge the long pips.

With anti, it is consistent. With a good enough stoke it can produce chops with enough spin to be effective, but the best thing is that hitting shots with incoming underspin (pushes or chops) is a breeze and so much fun. Opponents have told me it is tough shot to handle as it looks so fast leaving the paddle, but the speed is tough to judge. Serve return is also great - either drop short or attack.

This probably only applies to the grippy antis, as the frictionless antis are completely different.