OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: RITC 802
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 21:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

josephs wrote:
I got one of the good 802s from Taiwan with the "medium" (Feels hard!) pink/orange 729 sponge. After a couple of hours, the sponge broke in and now I quite like it. It's harder than any of the other SPs I've tried (spectol, challenger attack, 802s bought in the USA).

I'm not sure why it played so crappy for the first couple of hours but I've had that experience with many chinese rubbers.

This is great rubber if you can get the good quality sheet. There was a thread earlier about the different top sheets masquarading as 802.

I liked the Friendship sponge, definitely plenty of power.

I wonder if the reason Chinese rubbers need breaking in is because of the glue they use. Much like regular rubber cement, it's stiff at first but it gets more flexible in use.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 05:47 
Super User

Kees wrote:
About the difference in preferred thickness of sponge between shakehanders and penholders - I think the reason for it is that penholders are able to produce much more spin (using their wrist when hitting) and have much more control as a result, so they don't need much sponge in order to be able to grip the ball; shakehanders need the depth of the sponge for that.
There may be other reasons, too. Penholders need less speed, for instance, because they play more frequently over the table and hence have less distance to cross.
And a penholder with a 1.6 mm sponge who is using speedglue, ends up with something that compares to a 2.0 mm sponge of someone who doesn't glue at all (like me).
Glue may have to do with this in more than this respect. There seems to be (or have been) a tendency to increase sponge thickness since the nineties, both with shake and pen pro's; this may have to do with the increased effects of the use of speedglue by opponents using inverted. On a thin short pips rubber an incoming ball with extreem topspin may reverse so much that it will float away beyond any reasonable control. Spinny pips help in this regard. Increased sponge thickness helps too, for the same reason: it increases friction. I read somewhere that Johnny Huang used 1.9 pips early in the nineties; somewhere in the late nineties he changed to 2.0, then to 2.1, if I'm correct.
A defense-oriented player like Gao Jun, however, isn't bothered by increased reversal effects, but would welcome them. So the choice for thick or thin may also depend on your style.

I M player who likes to control if i cant on 3rd ball , i play cpen with 802 sometimes with 899 2.2mm but i ve noticed that i make more harm playing with a off+ blade like dhd-wind carbon but i think i go speed overboard sometimes but strangely oponents can keep looping against this fast blade and i m 80% playing p700 .. what would be best :an off blade like dhs wind (or faster blade like carbo 7.6 stiga)with thinner sponge or p700 with 35deg max sponge?

thanks in advance

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 06:50 

Blade: Palio Tct
FH: Yasaka Rakza 7 soft (Max)
BH: Nittaku Best Anti (1.3mm)
Why many pros use the 802 in red color? The black color 802 not as good?

He Zhi Wen: red 802
Wang Zeng Yi: red 802
Ding Song: red 802
And many others . . . .

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 09:29 
Super User

Gery06 wrote:

And many others . . . .

noticed that almost all stock red chinese short pips suck(play dead) they dont seem to be using stock version must be using national version or they assemble

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 19:45 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
in the past i have tried the 802 with the orange sponge which seems to be the version that is sold in europe most of the time. for the fun of it i wanted to try the rubber on my current blade, as i havent played with it in ages and ordered over an asian online shop. to my surprise it arrived in the other version with a white/cream coloured sponge. i organized the other version (orange sponge) to have a comparison. what can i say...the white sponge version is far superior. although it is faster it offers better control, oddly enough being less sensitive to spin, although the topsheet is the same. the arc is higher with the white sponge version, which is better for attacking loops and backspin. i will keep it on my blade as i am very happy with it currently.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 15:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

bbkon wrote:
Gery06 wrote:

And many others . . . .

noticed that almost all stock red chinese short pips suck(play dead) they dont seem to be using stock version must be using national version or they assemble

Maybe they know how to use it and you don't? :lol: (I see way too much of this on forums - "Chinese players have special versions of rubber no one else can buy....")

Do these people use inverted on the other side? If so the reason they use red is because they want black inverted. Black inverted is magic, don't you know.. especially if the sponge is blue.. :lol:

I notice 802 is available in OX - wonder if it'd make a good hardbat rubber.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 20:34 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I have a hardbat with 802 on both sides. Plays like a hardbat (ie, I am rubbish with it) :P . It was recommended on this forum as hardbat rubber, iirc.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 05:34 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
bbkon wrote:

A few points here:

- If (and it's a big if) there is any practically detectable difference between red and black 802 (I have used both extensively), or indeed other Chinese SP (651, 652, Sharping, 802-40, Dragonow), it's very very slight.
- They certainly don't "suck" or "play dead". I've used red 802 and red 651 with great effect, and they certainly aren't dead
- I think there's far far too much fuss about "national version" -- you can play at a ridiculously high level with stock rubbers. One of the top players in the UK (He Zhi Wen) uses stock 802 on orange sponge.
- Lars (formerly of Japsko) used to import a lot of RITC stuff, and go to know the company well. According to him, most senior Chinese players do assemble their own, using their own choice of sponge.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 13:59 
Super User

LordCope wrote:
bbkon wrote:

A few points here:

- If (and it's a big if) there is any practically detectable difference between red and black 802 (I have used both extensively), or indeed other Chinese SP (651, 652, Sharping, 802-40, Dragonow), it's very very slight.
- They certainly don't "suck" or "play dead". I've used red 802 and red 651 with great effect, and they certainly aren't dead
- I think there's far far too much fuss about "national version" -- you can play at a ridiculously high level with stock rubbers. One of the top players in the UK (He Zhi Wen) uses stock 802 on orange sponge.
- Lars (formerly of Japsko) used to import a lot of RITC stuff, and go to know the company well. According to him, most senior Chinese players do assemble their own, using their own choice of sponge.

red stock sp are always crap in Ritc. I have played with red 802 with gp35 sponge and its great. the only sp i find good on red is 889-2. maybe they put the lower quality sponge with red topsheet.dawei also sucks in red

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 14:49 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I notice 802 is available in OX - wonder if it'd make a good hardbat rubber.

Iskandar

I've been using 802 OX both sides for the last 6-7 months, managed to get #5 in the Aus Vets O/40 last month. It's the only hardbat type rubber I've ever used, but I quite like it and if you are a defender who hits occasionally it's quite good vs sponge rubber players. Not sure how it would go against other hardbats, although it plays fine against other long pips in my experience.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 17:16 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
bbkon wrote:
red stock sp are always crap in Ritc.

Sorry, bbkon, but that's just rubbish. I've already pointed to top players using stock red 802. I played for 2 hours yesterday with red 802-40, and it was excellent. I have a very high level friend using red 802-1. There are lots of (in comparative terms) USATT 2000+ players in the UK using stock red 802/802-40/802-1.

You might have your own preference, and I can't explain or contradict your own personal experience, but to make a bald claim like "red stock sp are always crap in ritc" is just nonsense, and plainly contradicted by dozens of other players.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 20:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LordCope wrote:

Reminds me of that Chinese national player who was at our University for a couple years - must've been mid or early 90s. Don't remember what he used but it was pips out, he was one of those classic Chinese pips out hitters. Back then QC wasn't great - what he said people did was try various sheets of sponge. When they found one they liked, they'd replace the topsheet ONLY when they needed to. The favorite sponge, they'd keep. He had a few topsheets for sale, I wish I'd bought one or two.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10