OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 03:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So it's easier to block or counter a top spin close to the table than it is to loop a backspin deep on the table.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 03:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
BRS wrote:
Obviously I do love to practice, I'm using all my holidays this year to train. But what I meant was my training is totally driven by match results. Losing gnaws at me for days afterwards. And in most matches there are one or two things that if I did them properly/better I would have won. That's what gives purpose to my training. I don't actually enjoy competition, or at least it certainly isn't fun the way training is a joy. I look at competition as an unpleasant task that I have to do to make sense of my training, and training as the good part. This is probably not typical. There are rare times in competition where I am in "flow" or whatever stupid name you put on it, and that's great, the .001% of the time that it happens. I also could make competition much more fun for myself simply by adopting a more positive attitude. I need to do a lot more work there.

I used to be down a few days after losing in a tournament, but nowadays I am usually not. For me competetion itself is very fun because it gives a very unique emotional experience, something that I can't have in my daily life. When I play a close match, I feel like a Warrior of the Apocalypse and it is very addictive. I get upset if I lose, but I am usually fine the next day.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 03:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So lately in practice people have wanted to do crossing pattern drills. One person does cross-court and one person does down the line or something similar. They will always tell me "this is about control" and then proceed to hit the ball fairly lightly.

Is there much value to this type of drill? I'm on the fence. Keeping the ball on the table while doing weak strokes seems pretty pointless. Dong the drills with correct technique seems okay when using a balance of power and control. The whole thing is a mess when placement isn't good enough, but that's how matches are.

Also as NL has recently pointed out - points are rather short. 4 touches ends a vast majority of them.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 03:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That's a classic drill sometimes called Xs and Hs. It has value for movement and control. With any fixed drill it makes sense to start out hitting quite softly. Then work up to the fastest level where you can average a large number of hits per repetition. It has no value if you don't even get through the letters one or two times (4 - 8 hits), and more is better at reasonable speed. You are never going to be able to do a drill like that at full game speed. But a lot of times in a game you don't have to hit full speed either, if you hit the right spot.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 03:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
So it's easier to block or counter a top spin close to the table than it is to loop a backspin deep on the table.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

I can see that for us, sure. But I'm curious for Jesse, who is definitely four levels above me, wouldn'the want to hop out after the flick also? He's clearly fit enough to do that, and the ball is always going to come back long or not at all.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 04:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I can see that for us, sure. But I'm curious for Jesse, who is definitely four levels above me, wouldn'the want to hop out after the flick also? He's clearly fit enough to do that, and the ball is always going to come back long or not at all.

I see what you mean and I bet he would if it were a match. He's just demonstrating the backhand flick for us in LTT91. In LTT90 he's doing a specific drill.

I think if Brett blocked the flick back we'd see Jesse bunny hop back and get ready to loop but I bet it would make it hard for us to see just the flick movement. Baby steps.

Anyone else really impressed with these examples from Jesse? When I watched LTT90 I just thought to myself "god damn".

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 05:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Jesse looks really sharp there, indeed.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 06:16 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-ZvI2qgP0
This video is pure gold for bh banana flicks.
Brett nl really knows the other guy well :D

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 07:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
I am going to see whether I can find a safe way to use this bow to power a relatively shorter forehand topspin.

I can't imagine how this could work. When the ball is to the side of your body, rotation is the only way I can see. You can rotate up and forward to play backspin, or down and forward against semi high balls. If the ball isn't inline with your body, the bow also isn't appropriate for the backhand.

I'm curious to see what you can come up with.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 07:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I was curious on LTT 91 -- Jesse was flicking and then stepping out, whereas in 90 he was bunny-hopping out after pushing short. Wouldn't you need to be back and ready even faster when you flick than after a short push? I'm assuming at his level that flick is getting counterlooped much of the time, so I would think he would want to be even further back for the fourth ball if possible.

Jesse did the bunny-hop in LTT90 when he picked up the long cues. Notice from front-on (after 2:20) I pushed short again and he didn't do the bunny hop. It's not an auto bunny-hop out. This is where you have to consider the dynamic nature of sport.

I remember someone posted a video here and the producer said that you need to jump out 3 times after you serve. I pointed out that it would only be appropriate if you saw the early signs that the receiver was doing a banana flick. The producer clearly didn't understand the dynamic nature and he was just commenting on what he saw. He tried to make a rule based on one scenario, which is dangerous.

In LTT91, there was no follow up ball, so Jesse just stepped back and out to a fairly neutral position. If I was to block his flick to the backhand, LTT90 would apply.

The sound of LTT90 will be fixed in an hour or two.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The sound on LTT90 is now repaired. We have fired our Executive Sound Technician, so this should never happen again!

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:24 

Brett Clarke wrote:
The sound on LTT90 is now repaired. We have fired our Executive Sound Technician, so this should never happen again!

Fake news :D

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 14:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This time I tried to not drag my right foot across the floor...

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 04:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
This time I tried to not drag my right foot across the floor...

The last two were pretty good. You got a lot more power from the legs. The first two less so but still progress.

Edit: The last one has some good rotation also and you finished higher. Try to take this shot down the line in drills.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 04:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The ultimate goal is to place them wide (like outside of the corner wide) to backhand. At this moment they mostly go to the middle and have no control over it. Down the line is a bit easier. The challenge with this shot is that even against a slow push things happen so fast that it is impossible to control what I am doing. When I make those shots they feel like crap and feels like they should look horrible, but when I watch the video it is not that bad (surprising).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 568  Next