OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2017, 06:01 

Hey guys!

I love reading the reviews you are writing here, and perhaps one day when I have more materialistic experience I will be writing my own reviews. For now I'll just be asking questions so bear with me ;)

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 05:39 

Blade: Sauer&Troger Unicorn
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z1 Turbo
BH: Tibhar Grass D.TecS
Hello everyone! Let me introduce myself: I'm Eugene, 35, from Moscow, Russia. Started playing tennis in school during the breaks, played in my university team then. In 2015 took it up seriously again and since then I've been playing LP in OX because once I found out how much fun it was to watch people get mad at spin reversal :D
I play blocking/chop-blocking/pushing game with my BH and looping/flat-hitting game with my inverted FH
I work as an interpreter/translator
Outside TT, I'm into cars, heavy metal :angel: and poker

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 12:32 

Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Gewo Hype EL
BH: Donic Bluefire JP03
Call me confused shoes from the Philippines.
I blame my shoes ( too heavy :lol: ) whenever I loss.

I am 42 and I have been playing TT for the past 6 years. Before that, I hibernated from the sports for 18 years and went back playing in 2011 to improve my health.

I am rated at 1831 ( plus minus 103 ) at ratings central. We have no rating system here in the Philippines. I use inverted rubber on both side.

The sports has given me and continue to provide me enjoyment and health benefits. I don't mind losing as long as I played hard to win. But have won a couple of tournament with a mindset of "disruption and grit ".

I find this forum as one of the best TT forum. :up: to the admin.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 21:27 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
confused shoes wrote:
I am 42 and I have been playing TT for the past 6 years. Before that, I hibernated from the sports for 18 years and went back playing in 2011 to improve my health.

I am rated at 1831 ( plus minus 103 ) at ratings central. We have no rating system here in the Philippines. I use inverted rubber on both side.

Wow, impressive rating. After only 6 years? Well done, and welcome!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 13:28 

Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Gewo Hype EL
BH: Donic Bluefire JP03
Dusty054 wrote:
confused shoes wrote:

Wow, impressive rating. After only 6 years? Well done, and welcome!

Thank you. I am not a total beginner when I picked up my racket again. I have played as an student-athlete from 1988 to 1993.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 03:41 

Blade: B-Fly Powerspin Hinoki
FH: DHS G666
BH: Qing Soft
Hi,

I'm Pete from Manchester, UK and I'm now 54 years old.

I used to play many years ago in the Warrington league from the age of about 16 to 20 but gave it up as I became involved in semi professional basketball.

I used to twiddle with Tackiness D and mostly Super Anti back then (both black!) - tried LP for a while but there wasn't much variety in the LP rubbers available at that time.

I was pretty good - but the only coaching I ever received was at 2 TeesSport summer schools. I took a game (21 up in those days) off Bradley Billington in the end of camp tournament the second year when I was 20. I was coached a bit by John Hilton and Douggie Johnson on those camps, both were defensive twiddlers.

Started playing again last season in Manchester div 2 (and a couple of guest appearances in Bolton div 3 for the eventual winners of that division).
Was then promoted to a higher team in Manchester div 1 just before Xmas and won about 70% of my games in the second half of the season at that level.

All last season I basically played othodox defensive/allround with tackifire C 1.9 (black) and Andro Backside C 1.9 (red).

In May, as soon as last season was over, I started practising with LPs and twiddling. After trying a few (>10!) different LPs I have now settled on Hallmark Frustration 1.0 (red) and Tackifire D 2.1 (black) on an old 80s Powerspin Hinoki blade and this is currently going great for me.

This year I am playing in 4 leagues! I'm in the top division in each of the Manchester, Warrington and Glossop leagues (plus some guest appearances in Bolton div 2). Winning about a third of my matches in total so far this season - but the standard is obviously much higher than than the previous season.

I've adopted an unusual blocking/counterhitting/chopping sort of style which is confusing many of my (much more talented!) opponents. I'm even getting a bit of coaching at Warrington TTC - so even my more orthodox attacking shots are improving quite a lot.

Hope to pick up loads of tips on this forum!

Pete.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 03:48 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Fighting Pete !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 09:50 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
I'm Thomas, 32 yo from USA. I came from China originally.

As my user name suggests I'm a big fan of Ma Lin and Xu Xin, haha..(although I quite like Ma Long too). I'm a penhold player with a style similar to Ma Lin. I have a big FH and I try to use it whenever possible. Block on BH, never get points there, just like ML. My RPB is not bad but I only use it to attack high balls and some balls close to the net, and sometimes to cover wide BH or flip underspin serves playing doubles. Although if my opponents were stronger, I would probably RPB loop long pushes (no consistency now)...

I'm around intermediate level, can usually beat the guys at my company who play every day, but I'm not used to playing certain styles. There was a semi chopper who also plays weird high loops sometimes, and it messed up my rhythm...I also have trouble looping heavy underspin. I can loop fine at home with the robot, but I guess I'm more tense in a match and my footwork probably isn't there. These guys' levels aren't great, none of them can loop consistently or have good serves.

I also play at a church club on weekends, mostly doubles. These guys have much better serves for some reason, though most don't loop. Here many will serve short underspin, and my long serves will often get attacked in doubles. Most people don't have the concept of banana flips or short returns. I can beat over half the guys there in singles. The ones I lose to almost always have good serves - not necessarily "under/top spins that are hard to read", but pretty spinny and I'm not a great returner, probably misjudge the amount of spin and the ball pops up, BAM. There are also players who are really good, have great opening loops, deceptive serves, etc.

It's been a while since I played there tho, due to the hurricane. I feel I have become more aggressive and consistent with my sidestep FH. I used to block/push passively and just wait for opponents to make mistakes. Last week I apparently also got my "BH under/top sidespin" deceptive serves to work against my frequent opponent at the company.

Forgot to mention, I got a bit of FH training when I was little. I played off and on for many years till I was 18. Started playing again 1.5 years ago, robot every day, etc. My uncle who was #1 in his city also gave me some pointers this summer. I would probably improve faster if I get a coach and/or play tournaments, but I'm keeping it more casual.

In real world I'm a programmer. I also like Chinese Chess a lot, but don't play ATM as it's too much strain on my brain.

I'm mainly here to sell a few paddles I'm not using anymore. lol. Have become an EJ. But looks like I will have some discussions on the penhold forum too.

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

Post subject: Hi from Croatia !
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 06:18 

Blade: Stiga Offensive Classic
FH: Yasaka One 2.2 mm
BH: Yasaka One 2.2 mm
Dear brother and sisters of the blade :)

i am 38, living in Croatia, just started playing TT after 20 yrs,
found that love towards this sport that I once had.
Work in IT, proud dad :) of two girls that also play TT.

Best regards,
Boris

Post subject: Re: Hi from Croatia !
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 06:30 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1- 1.9MM
BH: GD Meteorite .05MM
boris.ds wrote:
Dear brother and sisters of the blade :)

i am 38, living in Croatia, just started playing TT after 20 yrs,
found that love towards this sport that I once had.
Work in IT, proud dad :) of two girls that also play TT.

Best regards,
Boris

Welcome Dear Boris,

I'm also a very proud father of a soon 3 year old son :) Might I ask you how your girls became interested in the sport of Table Tennis, and how you encourage them (if at all) to retain that interest!

Cheers from the USA!

-Riot

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 01:29 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Greetings from the land of the magnificent J-O Waldner.

My name is Martin and I forgot about the fantastic sport of TT for about 23 years. I picked up the sport about 6 months ago when a friend from my local athletics club was looking for someone to play with. I've recently joined a local club and I'm getting humiliated by 60+ veterans (and 8 year olds) on a regular basis. I played in our local youth league system in Sweden between 1988-1994.

I'm still in shock that Stiga discontinued the Banda brand (i.e. I was forced to acetone off my 25 year old rubbers to be able to get a decent blade) although I was thrilled to find that Stiga still sells the Cobra rubber (with the original 1980ies design on the package). Still trying to get used to plastic balls and not being allowed to use proper glue.

My style is attacking but not too close to the table. I hate to meet defensive players. I used to play a bit of J-PEN and I'm debating with my self if I dare to turn up at practise with such a setup.

I'm an IT architect and a father of an 11 year old when not playing TT (or competing/training veteran athletics).

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 01:32 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
mart1nandersson wrote:

My name is Martin and I forgot about the fantastic sport of TT for about 23 years. I picked up the sport about 6 months ago when a friend from my local athletics club was looking for someone to play with. I've recently joined a local club and I'm getting humiliated by 60+ veterans (and 8 year olds) on a regular basis. I played in our local youth league system in Sweden between 1988-1994.

I'm still in shock that Stiga discontinued the Banda brand (i.e. I was forced to acetone off my 25 year old rubbers to be able to get a decent blade) although I was thrilled to find that Stiga still sells the Cobra rubber (with the original 1980ies design on the package). Still trying to get used to plastic balls and not being allowed to use proper glue.

My style is attacking but not too close to the table. I hate to meet defensive players. I used to play a bit of J-PEN and I'm debating with my self if I dare to turn up at practise with such a setup.

I'm an IT architect and a father of an 11 year old when not playing TT (or competing/training veteran athletics).

Welcome! We have similar backgrounds and occupations and sons :). I am located in Göteborg, you?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 02:35 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Def-attack wrote:
mart1nandersson wrote:

Welcome! We have similar backgrounds and occupations and sons :). I am located in Göteborg, you?

"Slightly" north. Stockholm ;)

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 03:57 

Blade: DHS Power-G PG7
FH: DHS NEO Hurricane 3
BH: DHS NEO Hurricane 3
Club: None
Level: ?
Experience: 2 years (1-5 times a week)
Playing Style: Slight Attacking
Job: IT Professional
Other Hobbies: Playing FIFA, Board games, and collecting NFL cards.

More Details:
I found this site while researching table tennis equipment.
Thinking about joining a club soon, need to look into it.
I'm fascinated by the different equipment and play styles of table tennis.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 19:45 

Blade: Stiga Alser defensive
FH: Friendship Tackspeed 2mm
BH: Sriver fx 2mm
Hi,
I've been playing league table tennis in the UK for 3 years now, after an 18 year break !
I played from aged 11 to 30, mainly in Div 1 (apart from the first 3 years).
I'm pleased to say that I have reached a similar standard.
My style : allrounder, retriever
Best shots FH : slow very spinny loop, chop talking the ball very low off the ground and topspin retrieve.
BH : flat full swing hit and chop and topspin as FH.

I'm interested in pimples on the BH and have been a guest, on this very informative site, a couple of weeks now.
I have a never used, but vintage, feint soft 1mm and a new friendship 802-40 1.5mm to try and see what might suit me.
However, having just broken my vintage stiga blade, I would be very interested to hear players views on a suitable replacement, as it has a fantastic chunky thick flared handle, which I would like in a new blade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 167  Next