OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 23:16 

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
Hi Guys,

Do you have different kind of rackets that you can use in the games? I have thought to have 2 different rubbers in my backhand. One that is faster pimple and the second pimple that makes more deception.

Let me know your set ups?

Soba

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 02:45 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I think the general consensus is to not have 2 setups, because it will throw you off more than your opponents. I think it's user-specific.

I have switched between sponged grippy LPs and slippery OX LPs and I think my results have been better. I don't do it all the time though. There are just some players that destroy OX pips (Der, I'm looking at you) and some that are utterly destroyed by them. Some guys have more trouble with variation from the grippier pips. I also like grippy sponged pips versus players that flat hit or don't spin the ball. So I think from a single game results perspective, there is merit.

Now, whether or not it adversely affects YOU for other opponents....only you can say.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 08:28 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I think I currently have about 5 different setups but usually just a couple of favourites at any given time that I swap between. Not necessarily for different opponents, but just for variety. Usually a blocking LP and a grippier one on a DEF blade that is better for chopping. Once I’m familiar with them I don’t find it difficult swapping between them, I just change my style a bit for each one.

My opponents sometimes say that they are less comfortable playing against the blocking one. I guess the grippier LP plays closer to what they consider to be a 'normal' rubber with more predictable spin. However, I enjoy chopping even if I have to work a bit harder for my points.

Last edited by Dusty054 on 19 Jan 2018, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 10:11 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I have two setup, but with same rubbers albeit different thickness. Both medium pips, one with 1.0 mm sponge and the other with 1.8 mm sponge (used to be 1.5 mm but currently out of stock).

The thinner has more deception and the thicker more speed.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 18:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I recall Timo Boll has a special bat for use against defenders. He broke it just before a match against IIRC Ruwen Filus.

Someone on Usenet posted about someone he knew who used two different bats for the expedite rule - one when serving and one for serve receive. This was back in the 90s though, I don't think it'd be allowed today.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 21:21 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
iskandar taib wrote:
I recall Timo Boll has a special bat for use against defenders. He broke it just before a match against IIRC Ruwen Filus.

Interesting....I wonder what the differences would be, just sponge thickness I would imagine but perhaps a different Tenergy as well :^)

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 21:26 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
I have considered in the future to use a 2nd setup. Just because some players (especially lower lvl) will not spin up a decent chop, and so I find myself playing close to the table more. So I may use my stiga ALL classic with my OX pips as the secondary one.

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2018, 21:34 

I have considered getting a blade with long pips, to play against double inverted players, and use double inverted against pip players. But then again I have never really played with long pips so I would have to practice first, and I might not like it as much.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 04:17 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Pumpa wrote:
I have considered getting a blade with long pips, to play against double inverted players, and use double inverted against pip players. But then again I have never really played with long pips so I would have to practice first, and I might not like it as much.

I actually find the opposite in that when coming up against a long pip player or inverted push chopper I sometimes switch to Short pips on the back hand either to aggressively lift and hit through back spin or to give them less spin to reverse.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 20:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Switching back and forth between long pips and inverted is NOT easy.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 21:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ndragon wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Interesting....I wonder what the differences would be, just sponge thickness I would imagine but perhaps a different Tenergy as well :^)

The long story was that Filus had him on the ropes until he flipped his racket around as an experiment and found that it worked. He beat Filus in a very close seventh game. Kinda weird when you consider that everyone says he uses the same rubber on both sides. The broken racket story came out during a post-game interview, but he didn't elaborate. I speculate it was more likely a slightly different (heavier? thicker?) blade than his usual one rather than different rubber.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 23:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Using a slower lower throw slice40 on f/h for doubles because I am usually nearer to the table for f/h kill shots,and it makes the ox pips slower enabling better down the line serve returns

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 07:33 

dazzler wrote:
Using a slower lower throw slice40 on f/h for doubles because I am usually nearer to the table for f/h kill shots,and it makes the ox pips slower enabling better down the line serve returns

That might even be a better question, I fear I should get into playing 2 normal inverted rubbers when doubling since the slower return would be wasted on anyone but me.