OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: sanwei m-8
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 11:45 

hello everybody,

today, after using my current racket for almost a year and a half, decided to change my FH rubber so i removed it. i now see and find out (for the first time; this was bought already-assembled online with rubbers on) that my sanwei m-8 is in fact the 'junior' version, which according to an older thread on OOAK (viewtopic.php?t=11043&p=322827) is different from the regular (non-junior?) sanwei m-8. i'm now considering getting the regular m-8 and adding rubbers to that rather than continuing to use the current junior version i have; it not only appears to be lighter (which i actually already wanted, since with my rubbers it ends up rather heavy and i wanted to try lighter), but is actually lighter in spite of being larger and thicker (meaning it will be faster). do you also think this will be the case, and that it will be worthwhile?

Post subject: Re: sanwei m-8
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 13:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

As far as I know there is only the "junior" version. It is meant for younger players, having a smallish handle and light weight. The earlier "red label" version was not marked as such but it's the same blade. There is a large range in weight (I have blades as light as 72g and as heavy as 80) so if you want a lighter one just order one from Eacheng and specify the weight you want. XVT isn't so easy to deal with, but they are the place to go if you want to buy a half dozen blades.

By the way, that Dawei rubber IS super duper heavy.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 19:51 

iskandar taib wrote:
As far as I know there is only the "junior" version. It is meant for younger players, having a smallish handle and light weight. The earlier "red label" version was not marked as such but it's the same blade. There is a large range in weight (I have blades as light as 72g and as heavy as 80) so if you want a lighter one just order one from Eacheng and specify the weight you want. XVT isn't so easy to deal with, but they are the place to go if you want to buy a half dozen blades.

By the way, that Dawei rubber IS super duper heavy.

Iskandar

ah, so the 'junior' label is just what sanwei's been adding to the same blade starting at some point a while ago and web stores just didn't bother removing the older ones. i'll see if i can get eacheng to send me lighter m-8s in correspondence, thank.

yeah the 2008 IS kinda heavy, but my friendship rubber is even heavier. considering getting the cheap 868 instead on my BH; lighter and softer sponge.

BTW iskandar, do you still use the N-11s on your standard racket? with chinese rubbers? also considering getting the N-11s for my setup; better build quality, slightly faster.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 13:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No, these days I use M8 blades. The old N11 was excellent, I could get them around 79-80 grams. The N11s I have is 84 or 85 - the lightest Eacheng had in stock. The situation may have changed, of course.. as far as I can tell it's the same blade with different colored wood in the handle and a slightly rougher surface. It is faster than the M8 - I can actually chop with the M8. It's got a wonderful crisp hit, though, and a nice loop. Given the price, just buy one!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 03:04 

iskandar taib wrote:
No, these days I use M8 blades. The old N11 was excellent, I could get them around 79-80 grams. The N11s I have is 84 or 85 - the lightest Eacheng had in stock. The situation may have changed, of course.. as far as I can tell it's the same blade with different colored wood in the handle and a slightly rougher surface. It is faster than the M8 - I can actually chop with the M8. It's got a wonderful crisp hit, though, and a nice loop. Given the price, just buy one!

Iskandar

anything cheap and durable you'd recommend to pair on the m-8 for a close-mid distance to the table FH looper?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 13:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've used all sorts of rubber on the M8, from Yinhe 9000 to Evolution MX-P, I'll have to say they all work more or less.. though one I liked in particular was Tin Arc 3. The MX-P was nice, but after about six weeks it shrank. Kept it alive with booster, but now it's a year old and the grip has dwindled down to nothing. I paid so much for it I felt obligated to keep using it way past when I should have retired it. I generally use Yinhe 9000 on the backhand, Eacheng has 2-packs for USD 10

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 19:10 

iskandar taib wrote:
I've used all sorts of rubber on the M8, from Yinhe 9000 to Evolution MX-P, I'll have to say they all work more or less.. though one I liked in particular was Tin Arc 3. The MX-P was nice, but after about six weeks it shrank. Kept it alive with booster, but now it's a year old and the grip has dwindled down to nothing. I paid so much for it I felt obligated to keep using it way past when I should have retired it. I generally use Yinhe 9000 on the backhand, Eacheng has 2-packs for USD 10

Iskandar

these, right: http://www.eacheng.net/2x-Galaxy-9000-A ... 12166.html ? i'll try a new m-8 with a pair of these. thanks.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 19:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Specifically this (includes shipping):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 19:59 

iskandar taib wrote:
Specifically this (includes shipping):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

Iskandar

ah, too bad that aliexpress doesn't sell the sanwei m-8 separately. i'd have had them glue the 9000s on the blade. looks like i'll bust out the glue again!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 20:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

They do sell it separately but the price is relatively high (compared to XVT). You have to hunt around for the best price, and it might not be the same "store" with the lowest pricefor the Yinhe 9000. If it was the same store you could ask them to assemble the bat. Eacheng owns something like 7 or8 stores on Aliexpress, with different prices.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 00:05 

iskandar taib wrote:
They do sell it separately but the price is relatively high (compared to XVT). You have to hunt around for the best price, and it might not be the same "store" with the lowest pricefor the Yinhe 9000. If it was the same store you could ask them to assemble the bat. Eacheng owns something like 7 or8 stores on Aliexpress, with different prices.

Iskandar

can't find any store on aliexpress.com that sells both the m-8 blade AND yinhe 9000 (all other m-8s are otherwise already paired with rubbers, none being the 9000). guess i'll just use eacheng.net, even if it's a little more expensive with shipping costs.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 12:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think they would be perfectly willing to glue any rubbers you buy to any blade you buy even if not part of a combo. However you have to buy from the same "store" - apparently each of Eacheng's stores don't deal with each other, even if they could save shipping by combining shipments.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 21:44 

iskandar taib wrote:
I think they would be perfectly willing to glue any rubbers you buy to any blade you buy even if not part of a combo. However you have to buy from the same "store" - apparently each of Eacheng's stores don't deal with each other, even if they could save shipping by combining shipments.

Iskandar

then i'd have to send them a special order request and receive some type of special payment option or something? because again i can't find any one store that sells the m-8 and 9000s separately as two items, only the m-8 pre-combined as a custom combo with various other rubbers (e.g. 2x 729s).

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 21:44 

iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

then i'd have to send them a special order request and receive some type of special payment option or something? because again i can't find any one store that sells the m-8 and 9000s separately as two items, only the m-8 pre-combined as a custom combo with various other rubbers (e.g. 2x 729s).

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 20:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The best thing to do would be to drop them a message and ask.. I haven't actually tried myself but having dealt with them a lot I am pretty certain they'd do it. I've actually done the opposite.. ordered a combo (won it on eBay back when they actually held auctions) and asked them NOT to glue it together! I don't think they'd charge anything extra, either.

Iskandar