OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 21:57 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I have a bit of trouble with a particular shot. I'm left handed so when a right handed player does a standard pendulum serve to my forehand. My natural stroke is to hit it back crosscourt however the spin of the serve often makes me hit it with too much of an angle, of the side of the table.

It's not too bad when the ball is long, as I can take the ball later and hit down the line, but when the ball is shorter and dropping, I tend to take it sooner and hit around the side of the ball which makes it go wide.

How should I play these balls? Try change wrist angle and play a fade or try get in closer and side on to create the body angle required?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 00:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If I'm picturing it right Cobalt, I would have thought a flip shot using your BH toward down the line would give you the best result on a short ball, so that you are taking over the spin that's on the ball with your own while still countering the existing spin effect. Of course if the ball is really wide to your left a FH may be the only option. Then I'd think I short sharp push would be the go, tryinhg to counter the spin if its trying to drag the ball wide of their BH side. It also depends on whether the spin is all side, or has some under or top on it. If you counter too hard with a push and if there's top, it'll go whizzing long.

I'm trying to think of what my lefty mate GA (I think you know him - RC <~1400) would do to such a serve. I don't do a lot of Pendulum serving to his FH much myself...but I do catch him putting a short underspin serve to that side into the net a lot as he under-estimates the spin and he tries to flick loop it over the table with his FH. A long serve to his FH generally comes back with interest down my FH line...or a huge hook loop to my BH...this latter result is generally what happens if I give him a fast side-top to his FH....but I give it to him now and then to see if I can catch him out :devil:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 07:53 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Cobalt wrote:
.. but when the ball is shorter and dropping, I tend to take it sooner and hit around the side of the ball which makes it go wide.

Can you describe this stroke, is it a topspin?

I’m also a lefty. I rely a lot on my spin insensitive LP’s on my BH to return spinny serves so my opponent will often serve wide and short to my FH. If I don’t react quickly I will end up stretching and more or less ‘poking’ at the ball and the result will be as you described. I need to move in quickly, somewhat side-on as you suggested. I push the ball (more like a short scooping action) to impart a bit of my own spin and lift the ball back over the net trying to keep it as short as possible. Sending it back too long opens me up to attack when I am in a poor position to defend.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 12:18 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
My stroke is a topspin loop, the incoming ball could be either top or back spin however at my level not usually heaps spinny, more side.

There is one guy (our no1) who does the short one. Its a bit far left (again, I'm left handed) for me to really move over and do a backhand shot, its not long enough to loop so I try to push which often results in a pop up or at least a longer ball to him and then........BAM!!

My backhand flick is not that good but occasionally I premeditate it, move across and nail it to his surprise. I wish I could do it more often.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 14:10 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
A FH flick might be best for returning the short topspin serves. I can’t do it well myself, my natural inclination is to push anything short but it takes a lot of control to keep the return low and short. Thankfully I don’t often have to deal with really spinny short top spin serves on my FH. Short back spin serves are more common. I wish I could do them better myself, it’s a good weapon to have.