OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 May 2018, 08:12


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 01:40 
Offline
Senior member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jan 2009, 02:32
Posts: 167
Location: MD, USA
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Blade: JSH
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Curl P4
I would add a couple more:
- Turn sideways before the chop, even if it's just a bit. After you chop, recover back to the neutral stance.
- Drop your shoulder, i.e. lean forward a bit
- There is no hard rule but typically you swing from your head and down ... your chop should not look like a push

Here is a good tutorial, watch this guy:



Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 01:53 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 00:48
Posts: 1256
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Blade: Sword 309
FH: Tenergy 05fx (1.9mm)
BH: Dornenglanz OX
notfound123 wrote:
I would add a couple more:
- Turn sideways before the chop, even if it's just a bit. After you chop, recover back to the neutral stance.
- Drop your shoulder, i.e. lean forward a bit
- There is no hard rule but typically you swing from your head and down ... your chop should not look like a push

Here is a good tutorial, watch this guy:



Hey, that's Kentaro Miuchi! Love the guy, saw him up close at 2016 US Open and even grabbed an autograph.

_________________
USATT: 1702| League: 1958


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 03:02 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 05:51
Posts: 190
Location: UK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Blade: VKM
FH: Stiga Mantra S
BH: Dtecs OX
I think perhaps you're not taking the camera angle into consideration as I am definitely not taking the ball at my front, at least 90% of the time.
70% of the time I am putting my right foot forward but I would agree not nearly enough compared to the video you shared. (I will put focus on this tonight)

However when I watch Gionis do it he is even less than me most of the time! lol. Slow the vids down to 0.5 or 0.25.





The other thing is my friend is varying the spin, speed, placement and arc of his shots to "keep me on my toes".

I don't quite understand the wrist and clock thing you're saying but I can definitely agree I don't use enough wrist (currently not trying to though).

_________________
my youtube www.youtube.com/ndragon88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 05:05 
Offline
Senior member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jan 2009, 02:32
Posts: 167
Location: MD, USA
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Blade: JSH
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Curl P4
Ndragon wrote:
I think perhaps you're not taking the camera angle into consideration as I am definitely not taking the ball at my front, at least 90% of the time.
70% of the time I am putting my right foot forward but I would agree not nearly enough compared to the video you shared. (I will put focus on this tonight)

However when I watch Gionis do it he is even less than me most of the time! lol. Slow the vids down to 0.5 or 0.25.
.


Gionis is a good player and yes he's been playing all his life, however, I am not his biggest fan and imho he is not someone with a textbook chop. My guess is he's just too big/tall and had to adjust his technique or maybe it's just how they teach choppers in Europe. Now that I think about it, Fillus kind of chops the same way too, although his footwork is better. My point is neither Korean, nor Japanese nor Chinese choppers chop that way, without moving their feet. Look up any Koji's tutorials or watch Joo's matches. Focus on the front leg, it always moves unless you are in a match situation and you are just "surviving".

Also keep in mind that here in the States we have mostly Asian choppers ... my coach is a Chinese chopper so I am biased toward Asian technique. I was just trying to help based on what I learned myself. If you want to copy Gionis, go for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 07:39 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 00:31
Posts: 411
Location: Maryland, USA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 70 times
Blade: VKMO
FH: Yasaka Mark V GPS Red Max
BH: TSP SSPC2 Black 1.9mm
You're chop definitely needs more length to it, and I second what notfound said about swinging from head to down, and how it shouldn't look like a push.

_________________
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita Offensive FL
FH: Yasaka Mark V GPS Max
BH: TSP SuperSpinPips Chop 2 1.9

Rating: Recreational Player


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 19:23 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 05:51
Posts: 190
Location: UK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Blade: VKM
FH: Stiga Mantra S
BH: Dtecs OX
notfound123 wrote:
Gionis is a good player and yes he's been playing all his life, however, I am not his biggest fan and imho he is not someone with a textbook chop. My guess is he's just too big/tall and had to adjust his technique or maybe it's just how they teach choppers in Europe. Now that I think about it, Fillus kind of chops the same way too, although his footwork is better. My point is neither Korean, nor Japanese nor Chinese choppers chop that way, without moving their feet. Look up any Koji's tutorials or watch Joo's matches. Focus on the front leg, it always moves unless you are in a match situation and you are just "surviving".

Also keep in mind that here in the States we have mostly Asian choppers ... my coach is a Chinese chopper so I am biased toward Asian technique. I was just trying to help based on what I learned myself. If you want to copy Gionis, go for it.


Tbh I watched almost always Filus, Gionis, Chen and amateur Europeans. Didn't watch Joo much :sweat:

But yeah I don't disagree with you guys. I tried it last night. Although I was very tired and brain wasn't functioning I still managed to do it 50% of the time and I can see how effective it can be. Makes it a fair bit easier to chop those fast and top spin loaded loops.

Actually I have to ask this. When I don't have much time to react I don't know if I should be hopping into the side position or pivoting from my left or right foot. Or is it just a mixture of all? I found it most comfortable to pivot on my left foot but sometimes found i couldnt because of where the ball was going so had to pivot from my right

_________________
my youtube www.youtube.com/ndragon88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 19:46 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 05:51
Posts: 190
Location: UK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Blade: VKM
FH: Stiga Mantra S
BH: Dtecs OX
Danthespearton HQ wrote:
You're chop definitely needs more length to it, and I second what notfound said about swinging from head to down, and how it shouldn't look like a push.


After 're watching that second Gionis video I can see so many similarities lol might be a bad thing since I'm not as tall.

But definitely agree with your comment on length. I counted how many times I swung from head and it wasn't even 30% of the time. Gotta put some focus on that next time along with the more diagonal stance

_________________
my youtube www.youtube.com/ndragon88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 22:26 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3470
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 878 times
Been thanked: 455 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 Soft R
BH: TSP Curl P1-R 1.5 B
Ndragon wrote:
I don't quite understand the wrist and clock thing you're saying but I can definitely agree I don't use enough wrist (currently not trying to though).


Imagine the ball coming to you. The ball is next to you and you're looking at it. You see the side of the ball. Imagine that's a clock. You can do the rest of this thinking exercise.

Using more wrist=more chance of ending in front of the ball.

Ndragon wrote:
Tbh I watched almost always Filus, Gionis, Chen and amateur Europeans. Didn't watch Joo much :sweat:

But yeah I don't disagree with you guys. I tried it last night. Although I was very tired and brain wasn't functioning I still managed to do it 50% of the time and I can see how effective it can be. Makes it a fair bit easier to chop those fast and top spin loaded loops.

Actually I have to ask this. When I don't have much time to react I don't know if I should be hopping into the side position or pivoting from my left or right foot. Or is it just a mixture of all? I found it most comfortable to pivot on my left foot but sometimes found i couldnt because of where the ball was going so had to pivot from my right


You didn't watch Joo much? :o 10km running & 50 situps as punishment. :lol: You missed a lot if you didn't follow this player. The choppers you mention are amateurs compared to him. Good amateurs, though. :lol:

When the chopping motion is drilled into your body, the emergency shot will become automatic. Don't worry about it too much.

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 23:12 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 05:51
Posts: 190
Location: UK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Blade: VKM
FH: Stiga Mantra S
BH: Dtecs OX
Lorre wrote:

You didn't watch Joo much? :o 10km running & 50 situps as punishment. :lol: You missed a lot if you didn't follow this player. The choppers you mention are amateurs compared to him. Good amateurs, though. :lol:

When the chopping motion is drilled into your body, the emergency shot will become automatic. Don't worry about it too much.


I followed him a bit, but I much prefer to watch Filus, Gionis and Chen Weixing before and now. Joo is more on FH chop than loop so it changes his whole style. Whereas the other 3 are more on Attacking Chopper.

I noticed of the 3 Chen turns more diagonal more often. But anyway I guess its more on style but its something I need to be doing when in position so I will practise it

_________________
my youtube www.youtube.com/ndragon88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 00:48 
Offline
Senior member
User avatar

Joined: 04 Jan 2009, 02:32
Posts: 167
Location: MD, USA
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Blade: JSH
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Curl P4
Lorre wrote:
When the chopping motion is drilled into your body, the emergency shot will become automatic. Don't worry about it too much.


This ^^^

Watch the latest Ma Te video vs Fang Bo. It was just posted. Pay attention to his normal vs emergency chops... amazing stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 21:50 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3470
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 878 times
Been thanked: 455 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 Soft R
BH: TSP Curl P1-R 1.5 B
Ndragon wrote:
I followed him a bit, but I much prefer to watch Filus, Gionis and Chen Weixing before and now. Joo is more on FH chop than loop so it changes his whole style. Whereas the other 3 are more on Attacking Chopper.


True, but that was only since 2007/2008. Before that he attacked a lot more, like in the WTTC of 2003.

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 19:09 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 05:51
Posts: 190
Location: UK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Blade: VKM
FH: Stiga Mantra S
BH: Dtecs OX
Lorre wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
I followed him a bit, but I much prefer to watch Filus, Gionis and Chen Weixing before and now. Joo is more on FH chop than loop so it changes his whole style. Whereas the other 3 are more on Attacking Chopper.


True, but that was only since 2007/2008. Before that he attacked a lot more, like in the WTTC of 2003.


I'm so sorry Joo :( I just enjoy watching them more, I feel they put more focus on being a little more active on the FH. Plus Chen Weixing gave me the TT bug in the first place so perhaps I am biased lol.

notfound123 wrote:
Lorre wrote:
When the chopping motion is drilled into your body, the emergency shot will become automatic. Don't worry about it too much.


This ^^^

Watch the latest Ma Te video vs Fang Bo. It was just posted. Pay attention to his normal vs emergency chops... amazing stuff


Thanks for the comments guys. That match was really nice to watch, his strategy and technique is definitely different to my European bros. I imagine Ma Te when he plays that well with his chops he frustrates his opponents very much

_________________
my youtube www.youtube.com/ndragon88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 21:45 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3470
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 878 times
Been thanked: 455 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 Soft R
BH: TSP Curl P1-R 1.5 B
Ndragon wrote:
I'm so sorry Joo :( I just enjoy watching them more, I feel they put more focus on being a little more active on the FH. Plus Chen Weixing gave me the TT bug in the first place so perhaps I am biased lol.


Do you by any chance pull your trousers up or throw your paddle on the table when losing a point too? :D

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 22:49 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 05:51
Posts: 190
Location: UK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Blade: VKM
FH: Stiga Mantra S
BH: Dtecs OX
Lorre wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
I'm so sorry Joo :( I just enjoy watching them more, I feel they put more focus on being a little more active on the FH. Plus Chen Weixing gave me the TT bug in the first place so perhaps I am biased lol.


Do you by any chance pull your trousers up or throw your paddle on the table when losing a point too? :D


I can't say I do. I am always smiling like Timo Boll, I love the game of table tennis and I always comment out loud when someone pulls a good shot. I make jokes sometimes if I miss a shot I call let and say flash photography.

I love Chen's ability to really turn his aggression on when he wants to FH loop. I am just such a fan :oops:

_________________
my youtube www.youtube.com/ndragon88


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 22:53 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 05:51
Posts: 190
Location: UK
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Blade: VKM
FH: Stiga Mantra S
BH: Dtecs OX
I love how laid back Gionis looks when he plays, he is just chilling looks like he is ready to sunbathe or something sometimes.
I love how Chen really puts all his passion into his shots and sometimes loses it because he is so involved.
I love how Ruwen has many different styles all in his 1 style, very versatile and adaptive, he has a lot of swagger also.

Anyway sorry this isn't a thread about why I love watching these players so much lol. Just had to share

_________________
my youtube www.youtube.com/ndragon88


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2012 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: