OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 04:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 01:40 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
I would add a couple more:
- Turn sideways before the chop, even if it's just a bit. After you chop, recover back to the neutral stance.
- Drop your shoulder, i.e. lean forward a bit
- There is no hard rule but typically you swing from your head and down ... your chop should not look like a push

Here is a good tutorial, watch this guy:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 01:53 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
notfound123 wrote:
I would add a couple more:
- Turn sideways before the chop, even if it's just a bit. After you chop, recover back to the neutral stance.
- Drop your shoulder, i.e. lean forward a bit
- There is no hard rule but typically you swing from your head and down ... your chop should not look like a push

Here is a good tutorial, watch this guy:

Hey, that's Kentaro Miuchi! Love the guy, saw him up close at 2016 US Open and even grabbed an autograph.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 03:02 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
I think perhaps you're not taking the camera angle into consideration as I am definitely not taking the ball at my front, at least 90% of the time.
70% of the time I am putting my right foot forward but I would agree not nearly enough compared to the video you shared. (I will put focus on this tonight)

However when I watch Gionis do it he is even less than me most of the time! lol. Slow the vids down to 0.5 or 0.25.

The other thing is my friend is varying the spin, speed, placement and arc of his shots to "keep me on my toes".

I don't quite understand the wrist and clock thing you're saying but I can definitely agree I don't use enough wrist (currently not trying to though).

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 05:05 
Super User

Ndragon wrote:
I think perhaps you're not taking the camera angle into consideration as I am definitely not taking the ball at my front, at least 90% of the time.
70% of the time I am putting my right foot forward but I would agree not nearly enough compared to the video you shared. (I will put focus on this tonight)

However when I watch Gionis do it he is even less than me most of the time! lol. Slow the vids down to 0.5 or 0.25.

Gionis is a good player and yes he's been playing all his life, however, I am not his biggest fan and imho he is not someone with a textbook chop. My guess is he's just too big/tall and had to adjust his technique or maybe it's just how they teach choppers in Europe. Now that I think about it, Fillus kind of chops the same way too, although his footwork is better. My point is neither Korean, nor Japanese nor Chinese choppers chop that way, without moving their feet. Look up any Koji's tutorials or watch Joo's matches. Focus on the front leg, it always moves unless you are in a match situation and you are just "surviving".

Also keep in mind that here in the States we have mostly Asian choppers ... my coach is a Chinese chopper so I am biased toward Asian technique. I was just trying to help based on what I learned myself. If you want to copy Gionis, go for it.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 07:39 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
You're chop definitely needs more length to it, and I second what notfound said about swinging from head to down, and how it shouldn't look like a push.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 19:23 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:
Gionis is a good player and yes he's been playing all his life, however, I am not his biggest fan and imho he is not someone with a textbook chop. My guess is he's just too big/tall and had to adjust his technique or maybe it's just how they teach choppers in Europe. Now that I think about it, Fillus kind of chops the same way too, although his footwork is better. My point is neither Korean, nor Japanese nor Chinese choppers chop that way, without moving their feet. Look up any Koji's tutorials or watch Joo's matches. Focus on the front leg, it always moves unless you are in a match situation and you are just "surviving".

Also keep in mind that here in the States we have mostly Asian choppers ... my coach is a Chinese chopper so I am biased toward Asian technique. I was just trying to help based on what I learned myself. If you want to copy Gionis, go for it.

Tbh I watched almost always Filus, Gionis, Chen and amateur Europeans. Didn't watch Joo much :sweat:

But yeah I don't disagree with you guys. I tried it last night. Although I was very tired and brain wasn't functioning I still managed to do it 50% of the time and I can see how effective it can be. Makes it a fair bit easier to chop those fast and top spin loaded loops.

Actually I have to ask this. When I don't have much time to react I don't know if I should be hopping into the side position or pivoting from my left or right foot. Or is it just a mixture of all? I found it most comfortable to pivot on my left foot but sometimes found i couldnt because of where the ball was going so had to pivot from my right

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 19:46 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
You're chop definitely needs more length to it, and I second what notfound said about swinging from head to down, and how it shouldn't look like a push.

After 're watching that second Gionis video I can see so many similarities lol might be a bad thing since I'm not as tall.

But definitely agree with your comment on length. I counted how many times I swung from head and it wasn't even 30% of the time. Gotta put some focus on that next time along with the more diagonal stance

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 22:26 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Ndragon wrote:
I don't quite understand the wrist and clock thing you're saying but I can definitely agree I don't use enough wrist (currently not trying to though).

Imagine the ball coming to you. The ball is next to you and you're looking at it. You see the side of the ball. Imagine that's a clock. You can do the rest of this thinking exercise.

Using more wrist=more chance of ending in front of the ball.

Ndragon wrote:
Tbh I watched almost always Filus, Gionis, Chen and amateur Europeans. Didn't watch Joo much :sweat:

But yeah I don't disagree with you guys. I tried it last night. Although I was very tired and brain wasn't functioning I still managed to do it 50% of the time and I can see how effective it can be. Makes it a fair bit easier to chop those fast and top spin loaded loops.

Actually I have to ask this. When I don't have much time to react I don't know if I should be hopping into the side position or pivoting from my left or right foot. Or is it just a mixture of all? I found it most comfortable to pivot on my left foot but sometimes found i couldnt because of where the ball was going so had to pivot from my right

You didn't watch Joo much? :o 10km running & 50 situps as punishment. :lol: You missed a lot if you didn't follow this player. The choppers you mention are amateurs compared to him. Good amateurs, though. :lol:

When the chopping motion is drilled into your body, the emergency shot will become automatic. Don't worry about it too much.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 23:12 
Super User

Lorre wrote:

You didn't watch Joo much? :o 10km running & 50 situps as punishment. :lol: You missed a lot if you didn't follow this player. The choppers you mention are amateurs compared to him. Good amateurs, though. :lol:

When the chopping motion is drilled into your body, the emergency shot will become automatic. Don't worry about it too much.

I followed him a bit, but I much prefer to watch Filus, Gionis and Chen Weixing before and now. Joo is more on FH chop than loop so it changes his whole style. Whereas the other 3 are more on Attacking Chopper.

I noticed of the 3 Chen turns more diagonal more often. But anyway I guess its more on style but its something I need to be doing when in position so I will practise it

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 00:48 
Super User

Lorre wrote:

This ^^^

Watch the latest Ma Te video vs Fang Bo. It was just posted. Pay attention to his normal vs emergency chops... amazing stuff

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 21:50 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Ndragon wrote:
I followed him a bit, but I much prefer to watch Filus, Gionis and Chen Weixing before and now. Joo is more on FH chop than loop so it changes his whole style. Whereas the other 3 are more on Attacking Chopper.

True, but that was only since 2007/2008. Before that he attacked a lot more, like in the WTTC of 2003.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 19:09 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
Ndragon wrote:

True, but that was only since 2007/2008. Before that he attacked a lot more, like in the WTTC of 2003.

I'm so sorry Joo :( I just enjoy watching them more, I feel they put more focus on being a little more active on the FH. Plus Chen Weixing gave me the TT bug in the first place so perhaps I am biased lol.

notfound123 wrote:
Lorre wrote:

This ^^^

Watch the latest Ma Te video vs Fang Bo. It was just posted. Pay attention to his normal vs emergency chops... amazing stuff

Thanks for the comments guys. That match was really nice to watch, his strategy and technique is definitely different to my European bros. I imagine Ma Te when he plays that well with his chops he frustrates his opponents very much

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 21:45 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Ndragon wrote:
I'm so sorry Joo :( I just enjoy watching them more, I feel they put more focus on being a little more active on the FH. Plus Chen Weixing gave me the TT bug in the first place so perhaps I am biased lol.

Do you by any chance pull your trousers up or throw your paddle on the table when losing a point too? :D

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 22:49 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
Ndragon wrote:

Do you by any chance pull your trousers up or throw your paddle on the table when losing a point too? :D

I can't say I do. I am always smiling like Timo Boll, I love the game of table tennis and I always comment out loud when someone pulls a good shot. I make jokes sometimes if I miss a shot I call let and say flash photography.

I love Chen's ability to really turn his aggression on when he wants to FH loop. I am just such a fan :oops:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018, 22:53 
Super User

I love how laid back Gionis looks when he plays, he is just chilling looks like he is ready to sunbathe or something sometimes.
I love how Chen really puts all his passion into his shots and sometimes loses it because he is so involved.
I love how Ruwen has many different styles all in his 1 style, very versatile and adaptive, he has a lot of swagger also.

Anyway sorry this isn't a thread about why I love watching these players so much lol. Just had to share

My Vlog / Blog

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!