OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 17:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 10:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I hear that Nittaku is goin to release another ball called the Nittaku Nexcel 40+m will will be made from a different material, other than current (2017) ABS.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 11:15 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
My head is spinning from sheer number of ball variants. I'd love to have some stability!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 17:03 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
:rofl: So many balls, but where are the mass produced orange balls ? :rofl:

I would love to have the 7 dragon balls that we need to collect to summon Ma Long instead of ShenRon!

:rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2018, 10:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

(this is a robotic translation from Russian, sorry .)

In 2000, the ball manufacturers had changed from 38mm balls to 40mm, and they tried to keep the thickness of the shell same so as to retain the nature of the rebound same.
According to these calculations the weight of the 40mm ball was decided at 2.78 grams. This was to provide near the same shell thickness as the 38mm ball.

In 2016, ABS plastic came out on market, this plastic has a low specific gravity compared to celuloide 1.10 g/cm3 vs. 1.40 g/cm3 and therefore, the new balls have a very thick shell. Here's the main reason that plastic plays differently than celluloid.

If use of plastic of high specific gravity and make the wall of such thickness as celluloid then plastic balls will play almost like celluloid. Until then, we're bound to this ABS plastic and we have much grief with this ball..

Recently, a Japanese research group made a comparative analysis of the Nittaku 40 (celluloid) and Nittaku Premium 40+ (plastic) and they definitely proved that the plastic has a different bounce and a different ballistics. It's interesting to read and need to learn each coach and each athlete.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sh ... ectory.pdf

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2018, 22:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

<rant>The worst thing (for our sport IMO) is to keep changing. I suspect some of us don't even remember how celluloid plays... and if we've been playing with ABS balls for long enough, we may not even like the celluloid again (until we get used it again).
The damage is done (by the ITTF) by forcing a change to bigger balls. This was done without consultation of all the stakeholders, and without a vote.

It's too late to change back (manufacturers have made major investments in new equipment, and another change or change back will incur further costs again, which WE will be paying for), so I'd rather stick to current balls, which are quite reasonable IMO, and not be obsessed about further research into yet another new ball. It's NEVER going to play like the smaller celluloid balls, so lets just have some stability!
</rant>

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 11:41 

I for one would welcome new material for the 40+ ball. The current ABS balls are too heavy because of the wall thickness. It's harder to spin and lowers the speed. I have to work a lot harder to put the same amount of spin on the shot. I find a lot of shots floating long or sinking into the net because I didn't spin it hard enough.

If the new material would allow non-cellular balls to play the same as cellular I'm all for it.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 12:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Gtsnake wrote:
If the new material would allow non-cellular balls to play the same as cellular I'm all for it.

I agree completely, but I don't believe that's possible. Even if they could come up with a material that similar to celluloid, they still have to make them larger (plastic balls have a different tolerance requirement to celluloid), which means the walls will probably be thinner because the weight must remain the same. The larger size alone ensures it's not going to play the same as celluloid, which are on average 0.5mm smaller.
Still I have hope that they'll continue to improve... but from Nittaku or Butterfly they're probably going to be expensive.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 09:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

SOME MORE IMPROVEMENTS TO THE BALL IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME.

Xu Xin, the king of looping play, displeased with the current DHS products and he cries for a more spinny plastic. DHS shall respond soon.

I made some measurements for a number of balls, DHS D40+ plastic and some of celluloid. And the difference in the wall thickness is huge and glaring. 0.5mm plastic wall vs. 0.35mm celluloid.

The thicker wall does affect ball's rotation speed, I guess.
If DHS finds a way to reduce the thickness on pastic sphere, the overall spin of the plastic balls should grow up, to a better satisfaction of all the skilled loopers, as Xu Xin. :D:

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 14:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

igorponger wrote:
In 2016, ABS plastic came out on market, this plastic has a low specific gravity compared to celuloide 1.10 g/cm3 vs. 1.40 g/cm3 and therefore, the new balls have a very thick shell. Here's the main reason that plastic plays differently than celluloid.

I don't buy this at all. If people had to choose between the old cellulose acetate balls and the new ABS ones all indications seem to be that they prefer the ABS balls.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 06:58 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
The interesting thing is we still have some players who insist on using the celluloid ball, I really don't mind an occasional game with one, I actually find the Butterfly G40+ to be harder to change to than the old cell balls. Could be because they are generally lower level more casual players who want to use the old balls, and better players (who go to tournaments) that want to use the G40+. I haven't found a ball I won't play with, but the early DH balls (and their clones) were be my least favorite.

I've been avoiding tournaments using G40+ balls as much as possible, although I know I will be playing in at least one this summer.

The new Nittaku ball will be interesting, I look forward to seeing how it compare to what we already have on the market.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 10:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes, it's great to see further development and (possible) improvements. The trouble with the Nittaku and Butterfly balls are that they're so expensive. Although the Chinese-made plastic balls have now come down in pricing close to celluloid levels, the Nittaku and Butterfly balls have not. If your club pays for the balls, or it's part of some sponsorship, you may not feel the impact so much, but it's still a big financial burden when I comes to clubs, especially smaller ones.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 19:43 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
I really find each and every different ball brand plays different, some bigger some smaller differences but still different. I can't imagine if I played in loads of tournaments and had each tournament playing with a different ball. I will be joining 2 or 3 leagues in September and when I ask people don't even know if there is 1 ball used for it.

I was knocking with someone the other day and I was like wow this ball spins a lot I like it, asked to see....was an old butterfly celluloid ball lol. Instantly took mine out and put his away :lol:

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 17:29 

Blade: darker carbon esteem
FH: dhs goldenarc 8 50°
BH: Metal tt Death
Does anyone have any news about these balls? The orange version has been approved ( the first approved Orange plastic ball) but no news on their release.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 01:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NITTAKU NEXCEL BOGUS.

You can surely tell a bogus ball through the blurriness of the stamp. Yes, you can get this bogus product from an Asian marketplace, priced at 2.99 USD. Those crooky vendors can make much money by selling those fake NEXCELL.

Be alert.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 08:40 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
Once again, the only winners from the ball changes that have been happening since changing from 38mm are the manufacturers. Another new ball to me just means more spend from the player base like us, either at a club level or personal level, and we lose out.

As others have mentioned, the disparity between balls is huge from batch to batch and even between balls in the same box. This is the second most annoying thing aside from the unit price of any new poly/ABS balls.

The best ABS ball I've played with recently is the STAG one. I have new double fish and they suck pretty badly. I would love to see this Nexcel ball be another step up, in both quality and durability, but I'm 95% sure I'm not going to want to spend the asking price on this new ball.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!