OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 21:32 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Ok so I will be attending the Table Tennis Team World Cup from tomorrow up until Sunday. For sure they will have stalls and shops setup. IF they have these 3 blades and 2 pips I am seriously considering buying a 2nd setup for the hell of it.
I currently use VKM and for chopping I have no complaints I only feel some issues with my FH mid-long distance from table but really its nothing I can't overcome by simply being quicker to react and hit harder.

But if the stalls sell these 3 blades, should I go for another VKM and try Curl P1R, or perhaps get one of the more offensive blades with whichever of the 2 pips are available.

I know the UK/European shops sell the VKM/VKMO with P1R, and 1 shop sells JSH with FL2. So it will most likely only be those choices.
I really don't know what to choose and try :^)
The same blade VKM with P1R seems like the obvious and perhaps better option to have for choices when training. But it is ever so temping to try one of the faster blades :oops: as I could use the same pips but with the JSH.
:?: somebody help shed some light :rofl: :headbang:

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

Last edited by Ndragon on 21 Feb 2018, 23:59, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 22:01 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
My honest advice, and probably the advice that most people on here will give you, is: find a pip that does what you want it to do, or at least most of it, and stick with it.

Easier said than done, obviously, but especially if you're in the fairly early "learning" stages of TT, it's really important to just get your LP strokes grooved. FLII will do that nicely, as will P1-R. If anything, P1-R may be a slightly worse choice early on because a) it's somewhat more difficult to control and b) it has a more disruptive effect for opponents than FLII. The latter might sound great, but if you're winning points against weaker opponents purely because they don't understand LPs, you'll find you don't develop your strokes well-enough to then challenge more accomplished opponents - I certainly ran into this problem a couple of years ago.

JSH is an amazing blade and I've used it on/off for over 3 years. It's too fast for me though, I've finally accepted that. I don't have any problems defending with it but jesus it's like an OFF- blade for looping. If you're learning to loop, really learning to spin a ball, go for a slower blade. I use a DEF blade with 1.9mm Tenergy and I still miss too many forehands (though, considerably less than I did with the JSH). Learn to produce your own power, don't rely on the equipment. If you get to a point where you can loop consistently, maybe then you can change to something faster. I'm ~5 years down the line now though and I keep going backwards in terms of speed, not forwards.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 23:17 
Super User

dunc wrote:
My honest advice, and probably the advice that most people on here will give you, is: find a pip that does what you want it to do, or at least most of it, and stick with it.

Easier said than done, obviously, but especially if you're in the fairly early "learning" stages of TT, it's really important to just get your LP strokes grooved. FLII will do that nicely, as will P1-R. If anything, P1-R may be a slightly worse choice early on because a) it's somewhat more difficult to control and b) it has a more disruptive effect for opponents than FLII. The latter might sound great, but if you're winning points against weaker opponents purely because they don't understand LPs, you'll find you don't develop your strokes well-enough to then challenge more accomplished opponents - I certainly ran into this problem a couple of years ago.

JSH is an amazing blade and I've used it on/off for over 3 years. It's too fast for me though, I've finally accepted that. I don't have any problems defending with it but jesus it's like an OFF- blade for looping. If you're learning to loop, really learning to spin a ball, go for a slower blade. I use a DEF blade with 1.9mm Tenergy and I still miss too many forehands (though, considerably less than I did with the JSH). Learn to produce your own power, don't rely on the equipment. If you get to a point where you can loop consistently, maybe then you can change to something faster. I'm ~5 years down the line now though and I keep going backwards in terms of speed, not forwards.

I came from a Clipper with 2xInverted. My FH is fairly well developed but yeah tbh I don't feel at any disadvantage playing with the VKM, just something I noticed when I play I need to hit harder to get what my Clipper gave.

I have no problems at all with my pips the FL2 its just those shops might not sell both blade and pips. I may just get the JSH with FL2 just to have it and try :D

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 01:07 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Ah, the Joo Se Hyuk blade. I bought it twice, and sold it twice. I was tempted by the faster forehand...but it's a double edged sword. As is the weight. That blade almost always comes in over 100g. I asked for the lightest Megaspin had in stock, and the lightest they had, out of 20 blades, was 101g.

I didn't win more with it. But I won more offensive points with it. I tried everything on the backhand, and was like Goldie Locks with every damn rubber on the planet. Personally, I feel like that blade is too touchy with different rubber combos, and only really works well with certain rubber types...for me of course. But, there are many people on this site that will tell you it's the best blade ever.

The VKM on the other hand, works with almost any rubber, I never had trouble adjusting. The defplay can be hard to pair rubbers to it as well, but it was usually for the opposite reasons; I always wanted to add weight and faster rubbers. Because of it's dampening ability, it's a very forgiving blade on defense.

So, opinions are like you know what, but for me the JSH was the hardest blade to acclimate to, and caused me to change my game too much to win points. Distance from the table, and tactics are different.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 01:45 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Ah, the Joo Se Hyuk blade. I bought it twice, and sold it twice. I was tempted by the faster forehand...but it's a double edged sword. As is the weight. That blade almost always comes in over 100g. I asked for the lightest Megaspin had in stock, and the lightest they had, out of 20 blades, was 101g.

I didn't win more with it. But I won more offensive points with it. I tried everything on the backhand, and was like Goldie Locks with every damn rubber on the planet. Personally, I feel like that blade is too touchy with different rubber combos, and only really works well with certain rubber types...for me of course. But, there are many people on this site that will tell you it's the best blade ever.

The VKM on the other hand, works with almost any rubber, I never had trouble adjusting. The defplay can be hard to pair rubbers to it as well, but it was usually for the opposite reasons; I always wanted to add weight and faster rubbers. Because of it's dampening ability, it's a very forgiving blade on defense.

So, opinions are like you know what, but for me the JSH was the hardest blade to acclimate to, and caused me to change my game too much to win points. Distance from the table, and tactics are different.

You my friend have a very good and valid point and may have grounded me a bit.

I literally have no real reason to get or try anything else except for the FH thing, but even then it is just an excuse in my opinion as I can just simply get into position quicker and loop harder.

I thought again that getting different pips is a bad idea. But getting the JSH with the same pips can be justified. If I don't get on with it then I put it down.
Or could just contain my temptation and not spend any money at all :rofl:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 02:13 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
The heart wants what it wants...
But the voice is reason is, don't buy anything. Not even the same blade for back-up with different rubbers.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 02:20 
Super User

rokphish2 wrote:
The heart wants what it wants...
But the voice is reason is, don't buy anything. Not even the same blade for back-up with different rubbers.

JSH with FL2 or even FL3 like my brother Ruwen Filus :rofl:

I can hold my temptation now but when I am there in the moment at the World Cup and the blade n Pips in my face... :devil:
Could even attempt to get the blade signed :rock:

Or keep my wallet Happy ;)

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 02:35 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
At the end of the day, if money is not an issue, and TT is not your profession (i.e. your income and match results are not correlated), might as well try few blades and pips/rubbers. There is something to be said for getting first-hand experience to contrast with forum opinion(s) - you might be surprised here and there. Happened to me with Sword 309 recently - lots of folks think that wings on the blade are too low, but it did not bother me (great blade, by the way, and cheap too).

I'm also with 'Japsican' on JSH impressions, except I only have one and still did not sell it. It's just too heavy for me, and I frequently find myself too close to the table and in need of a quick block, where lighter blades do better for me.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 03:14 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
If this second setup is going to be a "fun" setup, I think that you should get whatever the heck you want, since I feel like regardless of what you're going to get, your VKM/FL2 setup is going to be your serious setup for matches and practice anyways. That being said, I say go for the VKMO, it's a really nice blade :D and of course, there is a lot of bias in me telling you this (just look at my signature lol). The VKMO has nice, solid feel to it, and I really like the stiffness and speed it provides, regardless of the fact that it's a bit to handle.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 03:28 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
If this second setup is going to be a "fun" setup, I think that you should get whatever the heck you want, since I feel like regardless of what you're going to get, your VKM/FL2 setup is going to be your serious setup for matches and practice anyways. That being said, I say go for the VKMO, it's a really nice blade :D and of course, there is a lot of bias in me telling you this (just look at my signature lol). The VKMO has nice, solid feel to it, and I really like the stiffness and speed it provides, regardless of the fact that it's a bit to handle.

Well it could quite possibly turn into the serious setup. IF I can get the VKMO and FL2 for them to glue for me I would probably go for that tbh as it will be more similar to my VKM than the JSH will be.

I also see you like flared handle too :clap:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 04:39 
Super User

Ndragon wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

Well it could quite possibly turn into the serious setup. IF I can get the VKMO and FL2 for them to glue for me I would probably go for that tbh as it will be more similar to my VKM than the JSH will be.

I also see you like flared handle too :clap:

Yeah, I held several straight handled rackets and they didn't feel that secure in my hand, and it felt like the racket would slip from my hand with a loose grip... I also like the feel of the curves in flared handles.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 04:48 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ST handle is more convenient for twiddling (either after BH serve or in-game). IMHO.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 04:56 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
ST handle is more convenient for twiddling (either after BH serve or in-game). IMHO.

True, I guess everyone has their preferences. But for me, I once I got the hang of twiddling (I don't actually use it when I play though because there's really no point, since my BH is so grippy), I found that twiddling with FL isn't that much harder at all.
EDIT: Sorry Ndragon for going off topic, :whew: do you know what you're going to get?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 08:01 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
pgpg wrote:

True, I guess everyone has their preferences. But for me, I once I got the hang of twiddling (I don't actually use it when I play though because there's really no point, since my BH is so grippy), I found that twiddling with FL isn't that much harder at all.
EDIT: Sorry Ndragon for going off topic, :whew: do you know what you're going to get?

hopefully nothing :lol:
But tbh I would be most tempted to try either VKM/VKMO with P1R or JSH/VKMO with FL2

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 13:26 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Ndragon wrote:
Ok so I will be attending the Table Tennis Team World Cup from tomorrow up until Sunday. For sure they will have stalls and shops setup. IF they have these 3 blades and 2 pips I am seriously considering buying a 2nd setup for the hell of it.
I currently use VKM and for chopping I have no complaints I only feel some issues with my FH mid-long distance from table but really its nothing I can't overcome by simply being quicker to react and hit harder.

But if the stalls sell these 3 blades, should I go for another VKM and try Curl P1R, or perhaps get one of the more offensive blades with whichever of the 2 pips are available.

I know the UK/European shops sell the VKM/VKMO with P1R, and 1 shop sells JSH with FL2. So it will most likely only be those choices.
I really don't know what to choose and try :^)
The same blade VKM with P1R seems like the obvious and perhaps better option to have for choices when training. But it is ever so temping to try one of the faster blades :oops: as I could use the same pips but with the JSH.
:?: somebody help shed some light :rofl: :headbang:

I posted about VKM vs JSH before... and imho VKM has a lot more control overall when it comes to defense. JSH is pretty hard and stiff and needs either a thicker LP or a softer LP. I was struggling playing with a dense thin P1R. On the other hand, VKM should work with just about anything. Surprisingly it's pretty powerful even from mid-distance but for me its high throw + high throw of Tenergy 05 gave me a ultra high-throw setup. I am sure I just needed a bit of patience but oh well -- I went right back to the JSH.