OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 13:39 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I've always used Allround blades with 2.0mm rubbers, most recently tensors like Baracuda. Its been suggested on my blog that I use a faster blade and although I've always been quite proud of having one of, if not the slowest blade in the club, I'm thinking it can't hurt to have a tinker and see what difference a faster blade might make. It could ruin me or it could also allow me to concentrate on technique without trying to belt the ball flat out. It also just gives me an excuse to buy something else. :clap: :clap:

If I am looking at a bit more speed, would it be better to go a faster blade or thicker rubbers?

Theres a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood second hand that I think will be available shortly so thinking of giving that a go.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 13:49 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Go for it!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 14:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Cobalt wrote:
Theres a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood second hand that I think will be available shortly so thinking of giving that a go.

Yes agreed :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 14:37 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Blade is such a "feeling" thing- just remember trying new blades that just because you don't like the feel of it, doesn't mean its the speed. Could also be that you prefer all wood - or you might be one of those weirdos that likes carbon blades?

The benefit is that no matter what your fellow player's rubbers are out there, having a hit with their blade/combination can give you a really good feel for what the blade is like from a touch perspective. I say go for it too. nobody uses slow blades any more! :rofl:

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 18:02 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
My fastest blade is my Andro SuperCore Carbon Off+ light blade. I use it for up to the table play for the simple reason it is fast, so I need less body and arm movement to generate my own pace. Playing up to the table, I don't get the luxury of time for long arm or body turns to generate pace or the ball would be past me - mostly my technique needs to be shorter and snappy. I don't use it with quick bouncy rubbers though. I tried Tibhar MX-P on it. Didn't like it, hard to control that combination. Lot's of people who borrow my blade give it me back because it is too fast for them and their style. It's a hit and block blade for me, and I agree with them when I drop back from the table, it struggles. Low throw (sorry those who don't like that type of description, but it is, low throw and direct). Low throw also makes it less forgiving without the correct bat angle. It does play harder/firmer than my "all wood" blades and it's one of my lightest blades too. I'm probably going to put a slow rubber on my forehand, like Musa next as I don't need the power from the rubber anymore as I won't be dropping back from the table and the blade gives me enough.

Bottom line, having watched your style in your videos Cobalt, I think feel and throw angle will be more important than pure speed of a fast blade. That said, if you have an itch, scratch it, it's the only way to find out your answer for yourself. :)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 18:17 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

I agree that new blades are a feeling thing. Feels good to get one !!!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 21:05 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I watched your video again (this time without skipping :P) and I think one of my gripes with you using the applegren was that you don't play like an allround player - you're basically a blocker/attacker and your penetration was decent, but could be better.

If you are happy with the feel of your blade, better to increase rubber thickness. This will also increase your top end, without bumping up the bottom end too much. A faster blade will push the entire speed range upwards without messing with the throw angles of the rubber too much. My preference is to bump the blade up a notch or two off- or off - and see what happens.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 21:38 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
if you are happy with the way your current blade and rubbers play other than needing bit more punch then a modest blade upgrade will probably be the best route to follow with least adjustment.

Your Donic Apelgren v1 is a fairly soft and flexible all wood blade around 80gm which will give good feel, dwell and spin. So perhaps best to look for similar characteristics in a slightly faster perhaps off- blade and avoid super stiff and fast carbon blades.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 21:41 
Super User

FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Can't hurt to give it a try. I personally prefer DEF+ to OFF- blades with some flex. The Powerwood would feel a little too stiff for my liking.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 22:19 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

ChasFox wrote:
if you are happy with the way your current blade and rubbers play other than needing bit more punch then a modest blade upgrade will probably be the best route to follow with least adjustment.

Your Donic Apelgren v1 is a fairly soft and flexible all wood blade around 80gm which will give good feel, dwell and spin. So perhaps best to look for similar characteristics in a slightly faster perhaps off- blade and avoid super stiff and fast carbon blades.
This is what I'm thinking. One important factor for me is similar head size as I do like to tinker a bit and swap rubbers. Part of the fun for me.

Last year I purchased the Tibhar Lebesson fit this purpose and although advertised head size was similar, it was wider and thinner in different places making it impossible to swap.

The Stratus powerwood might be out of contention now anyway as head is a bit bigger than standard so current rubbers won't fit.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 23:03 
I am Legend
I am Legend

you would need to stick to the same brand and generation to get similar head size - and thats not a guarantee

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 00:16 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I use same rubbers with different blades. Smaller a little, bigger a little don't matter to me especially when just trying for several times.

On the last photo could be seen the smaller rubber and bigger rubber at the other side (see top of the blade)Image

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 01:06 
Super User

FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
If a suitable blade is just slightly larger on one or both dimensions don't be afraid to reduce the size e.g. using a modelling knife and sand paper. Quite a few on this forum have cut down Def blades to standard size.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 11:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

I've pretty much decided on a new blade. Last night I practised with a Xiom Offensive S which I put my own rubbers on. It was obviously quicker but I wasn't missing long. My blocks were more punchy and drives faster too. I had our best player block for me and I used the Offensive S for several rallies then went back to my Appelgren and it only took a couple of shots for the difference to be apparent. He really had to wait on the ball with the Appelgren.

I love looking at new stuff and research everything more than I should but thats part of the fun for me. So in looking at a new blade, these are my requirements: -
Speed in the Off-/Off range, about the same as Stratus Powerwood and Offensive S (can't get them as mates do and I'm an individual :o )
Head size about 156x 150
Weight around 85 grams
All wood
Nice Handle
European
Cost under $80

I've narrowed it down to a few
Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro, Stiga Clipper, Gewo Alvaro Robles, Tibhar Samsonov Alpha SGS, Donic Ovtcharov Senso V2. Nothing from Yasaka jumps out and I don't really understand the Ma Lin/ Extra Offensive etc line.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Cobalt on 27 Mar 2018, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 12:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The Samsonov Force Pro BE is certainly a nice blade that fits your requirements... I glued one up only today, and was reminded how nice and chunky the handle is. It's certainly in the OFF range for speed. Clipper is an old classic too. Another worth considering is the TSP Swat.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!