OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 17:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 21:02 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Boo. Team USA women playing right now.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2018-05-05 at 7.26.25 AM.png
Screenshot 2018-05-05 at 7.26.25 AM.png [ 35.53 KiB | Viewed 5318 times ]
Screenshot 2018-05-05 at 7.28.57 AM.png
Screenshot 2018-05-05 at 7.28.57 AM.png [ 93.63 KiB | Viewed 5318 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 23:18 
Super User

My understanding is that various media companies in different countries have paid for "exclusive rights" for the final stages of the competition. By this mechanism, ITTF receives significant income for their product. This is the way sport works in a capitalist world.

I don't like it. I personally disagree with it at a philosophical level. But then again, the USA as the great promoter of all things capitalist can hardly complain about the system applying to themselves.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 00:35 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
birchamboi wrote:
My understanding is that various media companies in different countries have paid for "exclusive rights" for the final stages of the competition. By this mechanism, ITTF receives significant income for their product. This is the way sport works in a capitalist world.

I don't like it. I personally disagree with it at a philosophical level. But then again, the USA as the great promoter of all things capitalist can hardly complain about the system applying to themselves.

I suspect complaint is not that someone acquired exclusive rights, it's that this someone is actually not broadcasting said event. Which kind of defeats the purpose...

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 21:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

While America, and Americans in general, are capitalist in outlook, not everyone agrees that capitalist rules should apply to them personally.. :lol: I remember when Napster suddenly took over the Internet and the campus network became unusable overnight. Rather annoying if you were part of the campus IT organization and had to deal with it. You just couldn't satisfy anyone - the same people who were complaining that they couldn't get their homework done were the same people who were complaining they couldn't get "free" music when they finally decided to filtered out Napster.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 10:03 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Like pgpg said, why bother to buy the rights only to block our own country from seeing the matches of our own players that the rest of the world sees free? Would have been happy to watch the match via the official stream if available, but alas Americans had to deal with the slight inconvenience of firing up their VPNs to see it live on itTV.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 11:02 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Like pgpg said, why bother to buy the rights only to block our own country from seeing the matches of our own players that the rest of the world sees free? Would have been happy to watch the match via the official stream if available, but alas Americans had to deal with the slight inconvenience of firing up their VPNs to see it live on itTV.
Are you saying Fox bought the rights and then didn't broadcast? If that's the case, then your issue is with Fox not itTV.

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 12:07 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Even the USATT is obviously frustrated with the world championship stream being cut off to the USA. Whatever pittance the ITTF collected for the USA rights wasn't worth the damage to the struggling table tennis industry in the U.S. market.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 08 May 2018, 08:27 
I am Legend
I am Legend

It's pretty common practice down here.

PostPosted: 08 May 2018, 13:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What probably happened was that the table tennis feed was bundled with a bunch of other sports footage and Fox bought the lot. They probably intend to broadcast it bit by bit, or maybe you have to buy their TV on-demand package via your cable company. Same goes for here, I can't watch it on the ITTV website so I'm forced to watch table tennis when they broadcast it on one of the satellite TV sports channels. Ah well, there's always YouTube, though that probably won't remain "free" for very long either.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!