OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 18:30 

Blade: Dr neubauer High Tech
FH: Victas V15 extra
BH: TSP P3 ox
Hi All,

first a little introduction because it's my first post. I'm a long time lurker on this forum, Belgian, 46 years, lefty, who stopped playing for 8 years. Started this season again and at the end of the season I'm back on my former level (around 1500 I suppose). Breaking that 1500 level was already a problem in the past but I'm willing to give it a try next year. First stage in doing that is seeing if there is a better setup for my playing style that the one I'm using now.

This brings us to my gear :
Blade : Dr Neubauer High Technology
FH : Victas V15 extra
BH : TSP P3 Ox

My style can be describes as an attacking LP player (don't want to use the word modern defender, because I don't think 'defensive'). On my FH I mostly try to attack (loop or smash), on my BH I play the pips very actively. Less then 50% are chops , mostly a counter/block, smash or even a loop. (maybe I need to revise this because I also make a lot of errors on the attacking part). I'm mostly around 1 meter/ 3 ft behind the table. My main strength is variation in both spin and placement.

First I want to look into the blade. Dr Neubauer High Technology is a fast, stiff, oversized balsa blade. I chose that because I thought I needed the speed because I'm offensive orientated. But maybe that's not true. Maybe more control and a slower blade is better (better placement, less errors, more spin). Still I need to make sure my FH loops / BH smashs are powerful enough to pass my opponent.

Yesterday I tried a Dr Neubauer Firewall Plus. Blade is indeed a little slower which was good because I was able to keep the ball lower. BH speed still high enough. (didn't try forehand due to a knee injury). Firewall has more flex than High Techn. Not sure if I want that on my forehand, didn't felt it on the BH.

So now my question(s) (at last):
- Which blade would you advice which is a little slower than the Firewall but still fast enough to attack decently. (preferable oversized)
- I always played with balsa. Would you advice the material for my playing style ? If not, why is balsa not good for that ?
- I always played a light blade. Does weight influence the playing characteristics ? Is a light weight good or bad for a pip player ?

Last word on the rubbers
At the moment I play a TSP P3 ox. I'm very pleased with this one. Will try it in 0.5mm and I will also try a P1 in ox and 0.5mm. Not sure if I want to mess a lot with the LP rubber. So I'm not going to try a lot of LP rubbers.
I'm less concerned about the forehand. Once I choose my blade and BH rubber, I'll pick a FH rubber which suits that combination. Much more choice in FH rubbers then in LP BH rubbers.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 18:54 

perrush wrote:
- I always played with balsa. Would you advice the material for my playing style ? If not, why is balsa not good for that ?

It seems I didn't lurk enough ... found a topic on this question. tnx

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18920

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 04:00 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Having used up to now TSP balsa blades I recently bought a firewall plus blade and find it really hard to get on with due to its very fast low speed rebound and lack of dwell. It needs short fast wristy strokes to get the best from it - see coach Mcafee long pips videos on you tube.

As you hit harder you find the firewall is not actually a fast blade in the conventional sense and tends to lack speed on hard hits.

Perhaps an all speed Defensive blade such as the Andro fibrecomp or Donic defplay classic.would suit you or maybe the Dr Neubaer Phenomenon which has a lot more dwell and control than the Firewall and although only slightly oversized has a very big sweet spot and with OX will be light enough.

If any one wants a slightly cut down virtually unused firewall plus for £20 then contact me.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 01:22 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I am 1800-1900 player I like the feel of Firewall+ but cannot control speed of it. As for me the slower the blade the better its disruptive (random) effect close to the table.
I preferred hard feel blades as they are less spin sensitive so better control for aggressive ox play but as I have to play with spinless DHS D40+ balls I switched to medium-soft blade.
If I have a choice I prefer a wide oversized blade with circle shape (not too long) as it optimal for blocking and short-game.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 03:24 
Super User

To me the Firewall plus is Ok on the fh with a thick classic inverted rubber such as Musa but much too pingy on the bh for use with thin pips out rubber let alone ox. Would like to add a slow outer veneer to the bh slide or perhaps a dampening sponge may work.

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 04:43 

I’ve tried some combo's. Underneath a structural overview for my personal reference, but also for others to comment.

Reference paddle :
blade : Dr Neubauer High Technology / FH : Victas extra 1,9mm / BH : TSP P3à ox
FH cons / improvements needed : difficult to make a loop that gives both speed and spin. (without swinging my arm off)
BH cons / improvements needed : flat hitting difficult to control.

Test 1
blade : Dr Neubauer High Technology / FH : Victas extra 1,9mm / BH : TSP P1 0.5mm
BH cons : difficult to control on chops and blocks. Often ball goes too long

Test 2
blade : Dr Neubauer Firewall+ / FH : Victas extra 1,9mm / BH : TSP P1 0.5mm
Blade has vibrations in the FH, don't feel them in the BH. Not sure if I like it. Blade a little slower than High Tech, but else similar feeling
BH cons : none
BH pros : very easy to hit and block. I was surprised the P1 was that easy for hitting and blocking over the P3a. Is it because the P1 is a little grippier ? Or that the pimple density is higher ? Anyway, this is the BH I was looking for.
FH cons : as expected, a little slower and difficult to get both speed and spin in a loop.

Test 3
blade : Victas Matsushita original / FH : Victas extra 1,9mm / BH : TSP P1 0.5mm
Didn't play long with this combo. Too slow for me. Too many balls ending before the net.
BH cons : Need to work too hard if I want to attack with BH

Test 4
blade : Victas Matsushita Offensive / FH : Victas extra 1,9mm / BH : TSP P1 0.5mm
FH pro : very good speed on FH. Can give speed and spin in same loop.
BH cons : same problem as with test1. Too difficult to control on chops and blocks. Blade too hard, too direct. I have not enough contact time between ball and pips.

Test 5
blade : Victas Matsushita Offensive / FH : Tibhar EL-S 2 mm / BH : TSP P1 0.5mm
FH pro : waauw. FH has great catapult effect. Loops are fast, flat and spinny. Need to watch out with pushing, but this is the FH I'm looking for.

next tests ?
So I actually want the BH of test2 and the FH of test5 ... ...

I have on monday surgery on my knee, so I will be out for almost a month. But then I will try the following :

Test 6
blade : Victas Matsushita Special / FH : Tibhar EL-S 2 mm / BH : TSP P1 0.5mm
BH : Blade should be a little slower and softer than VMOff so maybe It will give a more controlable BH
FH : Normally this combo should still be powerfull enough to give fast and spinny loops

Test 7
blade : Victas Matsushita Offensive / FH : Tibhar EL-S 2 mm / BH : TSP P1 1.0mm
BH : maybe the thicker sponge will give enough dampening to control the pips better at blocks and chops.

Test 8
blade : Dr Neubauer Firewall+ / FH : Tibhar EL-S 2 mm / BH : TSP P1 0.5mm
FH : Is that Tibhar strong enough to give fast and spinny loops on the FW+. I doubt it, but I can always try.

I hope either Test 6 or 7 will give me the effect I'm looking for. If not ... I'm not sure, maybe I can trow in the P3à again in combo with the VMOff.

Any remarks, comments are welcome.

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 05:29 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
At your skill level, your trying to attack with the long pip too much. Watch this video, which explains.

Sometimes the English captions don't work in the video unless you play the video a 2nd time . strange.

a Russian Pro talks about long pips with English captions

https://youtu.be/3N_lHahNcHA

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 16:33 
Super User

The Victas blades are heavy wood blades with a bit of flex and good dwell so I believe inherently good for topspin looping.

The Firewall plus however is a very light and stiff thick balsa blade with poor dwell at least on mine. Topspin loops require a very fast brush action to generate spin the problem then being you get the spin but not a lot of power. On flat hits however you get speed due to the balsa rebound. The challenge is to get a rubber that is soft enough to give a bit of dwell and touch in the short game and still be able to get power on loops. As it seems to suit a brush action I am wondering if a fast tacky rubber is the best option not a euro tensor

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 17:23 

@ loopover :
As I said in the intro, yes I attack probably too much and I need to look into this. But for next year I'll stay to my attacking LP style. I will train more, try to choose my attacking shots more wisely and then we'll see how far we get.

edit : just came across this thread. If you wonder what I mean with attacking with LP's. Although this guy is off the charts with attacking. I think I still play 50% chops, but I throw in a lot of these unorthodox LP strokes.

@ChasFox :
You're describing exactly the feeling on topspins with both Dr Neubauer blades.

I do have a neo H3 which I can try on the FW+. Although I still think it will be difficult to get a fast and spinny loops. But I will try.