OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Harimoto Cho
PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 04:10 

Harimoto cho collage I made

Attachments:
harimoto cho collage.png
harimoto cho collage.png [ 1000.34 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]

Post subject: Re: Harimoto Cho
PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 08:35 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
benc6190 wrote:
Harimoto cho collage I made
Is it just me that finds his antics unsavoury and unsporting? Great player, bad attitude IMHO.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 11:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The layback Michael Jackson tiptoe-style cho is really impressive.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 12:14 

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 12:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

so_devo wrote:
Is it just me that finds his antics unsavoury and unsporting? Great player, bad attitude IMHO.

He does cho excessively, but other than that he seems pretty quiet and unassuming. He doesn't argue or show attitude, nor does he seem arrogant, and is definitely not anything like, say, McEnroe.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 17:05 
Blockhead
Blockhead

iskandar taib wrote:
so_devo wrote:

He does cho excessively, but other than that he seems pretty quiet and unassuming. He doesn't argue or show attitude, nor does he seem arrogant, and is definitely not anything like, say, McEnroe.

Iskandar
I find the complete over the top nature of it disrespectful to his opponents. Also, he will be a so called role model to up and coming juniors....do you want someone copying that opposite you on the table?

185g

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 18:30 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
so_devo wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
so_devo wrote:

Iskandar
I find the complete over the top nature of it disrespectful to his opponents. Also, he will be a so called role model to up and coming juniors....do you want someone copying that opposite you on the table?

Agree. He might be a nice kid but on the court he's a turd.

At the recent Ballarat Junior/Senior there were a couple of kids about 10 years old making excessive noise. It was quite embarrassing. The venue has 26 tables so not small but everyone could hear the carry on. I was about to complain to the tournament ref but someone beat me to it. He went over to the table, called them over and had a stern chat. Didn't hear a peep after that.

I blame Harimoto.

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 20:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Well, he does seem to do it more than others but other players (in particular the Chinese) do it as well. There's a video I came across featuring an interview with Feng Tianwei, where they discussed her coaching. Apparently during practice her coach made her yell after earning a point - if she didn't she'd be fined for every point where she DIDN'T yell. Sort of like a swear jar in reverse. I've also seen people being instructed to yell when they scored a hit in Kendo. So I think it's a form of self-motivation, rather than some attempt to psych out the opposition. And I think in some cases it's actually taught or encouraged by the coaches.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 22:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Some of you must play in very pleasant surroundings. I played a tournament two weeks ago. One of my opponents took a big swing as a stray ball rolled by him from the court behind. He took his shot and wouldn't have called a let if he won the point, so I didn't offer one. Balls come into the court about ten times a set in that hall.

My opponent started talking, loudly, ostensibly to himself, saying "Could have called a let. Should have called a let." He said this while my toss was in the air for my next serve.

That guy is a turd. Harimoto is just a kid who chos loud.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 22:06 
Blockhead
Blockhead

iskandar taib wrote:
Well, he does seem to do it more than others but other players (in particular the Chinese) do it as well. There's a video I came across featuring an interview with Feng Tianwei, where they discussed her coaching. Apparently during practice her coach made her yell after earning a point - if she didn't she'd be fined for every point where she DIDN'T yell. Sort of like a swear jar in reverse. I've also seen people being instructed to yell when they scored a hit in Kendo. So I think it's a form of self-motivation, rather than some attempt to psych out the opposition. And I think in some cases it's actually taught or encouraged by the coaches.

Iskandar

iskandar taib wrote:
Apparently during practice her coach made her yell after earning a point - if she didn't she'd be fined for every point where she DIDN'T yell. Sort of like a swear jar in reverse.

iskandar taib wrote:
And I think in some cases it's actually taught or encouraged by the coaches.

Yes - I'm sure the coaches have encouraged, or at least not dissuaded this irritating habit!

iskandar taib wrote:
So I think it's a form of self-motivation, rather than some attempt to psych out the opposition.

Nope - We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Psyching out the opposition is a big part of this IMO

185g

PostPosted: 16 May 2018, 23:15 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Totally agree with carbo. I find his attitude absolutely rank. He regularly stares at his opponent when cho'ing, that's definitely not for self-motivation purposes.

Some players it works against. Others, like Filus, it just seems to spur on - Ruwen, for me, got BETTER as he got more annoyed by Harimoto.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 02:45 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
so_devo wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

iskandar taib wrote:
Apparently during practice her coach made her yell after earning a point - if she didn't she'd be fined for every point where she DIDN'T yell. Sort of like a swear jar in reverse.

iskandar taib wrote:
And I think in some cases it's actually taught or encouraged by the coaches.

Yes - I'm sure the coaches have encouraged, or at least not dissuaded this irritating habit!

iskandar taib wrote:
So I think it's a form of self-motivation, rather than some attempt to psych out the opposition.

Nope - We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Psyching out the opposition is a big part of this IMO

I am not sure of that. I watched him live at World team champs few weeks ago. He never choed when there was any slight of luck in winning the point (some edges were he won and almost no one noticed the ball was close to the edge of the table). Sometimes he also choed a little when approaching the table before serving (or before opponnet serving) as a way to get into focus. Of course this has some effect on the opponent but I don’t think that is his primary purpose. He behaved very respectful to the opponent in those matches I watched.

Choing can be very annoying and I surley think he is doing it way too much but I must say that Dima’s grunting (or whatever that noise is called) is more disturbing.

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 02:50 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
dunc wrote:
Totally agree with carbo. I find his attitude absolutely rank. He regularly stares at his opponent when cho'ing, that's definitely not for self-motivation purposes.

Some players it works against. Others, like Filus, it just seems to spur on - Ruwen, for me, got BETTER as he got more annoyed by Harimoto.

Many players raises their fist when winning a point, sometimes straight to the opponent, looking at the opponent. Like Sweden’s bearded viking Jon Persson. And Filus I think. Or they do it to their teammates or the audience or their coach? Not sure, not sure about Harimoto either, if he aims it to the opponent or just somewhere and the opponent just happens to be in that direction. I think he aims sometimes, some points. But not very often, at least no more often than many other players (well, besides Boll or Ma Long who almost never does such things).

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 04:40 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
You all know my opinion on the matter. It's bullshit. Maybe he is a nice kid and respectful outside of TT. And maybe he does this to motivate himself (I doubt it). But we are all different in how we respond to nerves. So, even if I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's for self-motivation and to calm himself down...

...the INTENT doesn't matter! It's the perception of the people around him that matters...especially his opponents. "Perception is reality" as they say, and if people think you are offensive, then you ARE offensive. Occasional chos for spectacular points, okay...you get 1 or 2 of those a game. But you should not Cho on 10 of 11 points in a game.

Think about it, where does this end? What if he decided to start saying "In your face!" after every point? Would that be considered offsides?
"oh but, that's what motivates me and helps me calm down my nerves" blah blah blah.... C'mon now.

This is table tennis, not street basket ball.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 11:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Japsican wrote:
This is table tennis, not street basket ball.

You should read Reisman's book - it'll make your hair curl... :lol:

Iskandar