OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 17:31 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
This anti has been available some time, did anyone try it? It only comes in 1,2 mm.

From the OOAK shop:
https://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.ph ... ts_id=1824

Lion Mantlet is a new kind of Anti rubber. It combines a soft dampening sponge with a thin and hard topsheet that is very slippery, but not totally frictionless. Mantlet is very slow and power absorbing. It is completely insensitive to incoming spin.

By comparing to similar rubbers wihout any friction, Mantlet can be played more effective and is more versatile/ Mantlet is the first rubber of a new generation of anti-spin rubbers, which will make your game even more dangerous, confusing tyour opponent not only for one moment, but for the whole game until your victory!

More info from this side: http://tabletennis.inters.pl/product-en ... ntlet.html

The Lion Mantlet is an extremely sluggish anti-slip.
The pace of this coating is even significantly lower than that of most of the so-called "Glantis". Nevertheless, the game behavior is noticeably different from these, since the grip is favored by a classic undercutting defense. Of course, the mantlet can also be safely and briefly blocked.
Attack balls are, however, very difficult. The upper rubber of the mantlet is hard, the rather soft sponge is a damping sponge of the latest generation.
Lion is by the way also the manufacturer of almost all "Glantis" of various brands. Lion has, however, developed this coating without the help of these or other brands.
The mantlet was quite controversial among our test players - from very good to unplayable the comments were enough. Some people have also found it difficult to understand how this pad is most effective. For many players the mantlet is already too slow, some believe that it is too harmless. Others find that he is a strong weapon against strong attackers - the better the opponent attacks, the more dangerous are the returns with the mantlet. In our opinion this pad is particularly interesting for players with a weak backhand side. In combination with quicker woods you are still extremely safe with the mantlet on the backhand, but you do not have to forego punching force on the forehand side. Positive is in any case the good quality and the fair price. And in contrast to flooring like the SpinLord Sandwind, the mantlet is definitely a "real" anti, but also very innovative and independent. Just try it!
The easiest way to install this coating is with the SpinLord floor covering foil.

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 18:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
There is a thread about it on noppen
http://www.noppen-test.de/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=32825

PostPosted: 25 May 2018, 21:12 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
"Extremely sluggish" is good description. Definitely the slowest anti that I have tried. I found that I had to concentrate too much on the effort required just to keep pushing the ball back over the net. I didn't like such a dead feel so I only tried it briefly. With practice perhaps I would have adjusted.

PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 06:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I wonder when Butterfly stopped making Sriver Killer. And why. Maybe not enough sales. That was the archetypical anti back in the 1970s and 80s (I think it's what Danny Seemiller used). I don't recall if Nittaku and Yasaka made similar products, or what they were called if they did, there was something called "Toni Hold" but I don't remember who sold it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 17:08 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I remember the round rubber sheet of Joola Toni Hold Anti back in the days, around +-85. Very slow, rough but ungrippy topsheet and a black sponge (or should I call that a foam instead of sponge?! idk). I guess that's the rubber you have in mind, Iskandar.

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 02:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've never actually seen a sheet of it, though I heard about it. And come to think of it I've only ever seen one sheet of Sriver Killer ever. It was a slightly deeper red than Sriver IIRC. Almost anything you could buy back then was red (pre 2 color rule), though there were a very few sheets of other colors (mostly green, sometimes blue, and Yasaka Tornado was honey-colored). Hardly anything black until Tackiness appeared (though there was the infamous Yasaka Black Power with the politically incorrect blurb on the back).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 03:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantlet

Mantlet sponge/ What sponge hardness by your estimation?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 06:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

SORBOTANE©. THE BEST MATERIAL FOR THE SPORT.

The softest rubber-like material was created by an American chemist in the mid of 1980s, and then marketed under the name of SORBOTHANE®
It is an ideal material for making table tennis damping sponge. Shore A hardness is only 10º.

Quote:

Hear is some practical tricks enabled by Sorbotane sponge.

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 21:38 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
igorponger wrote:
SORBOTANE[COPYRIGHT SIGN]. THE BEST MATERIAL FOR THE SPORT.

The softest rubber-like material was created by an American chemist in the mid of 1980s, and then marketed under the name of SORBOTHANE[REGISTERED SIGN]
It is an ideal material for making table tennis damping sponge. Shore A hardness is only 10º.

Quote:

Hear is some practical tricks enabled by Sorbotane sponge.
xD xD xD

This would won every game :P

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018, 03:54 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Review (german) of the Mantlet:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 01:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I have trouble believing it's slower than Ckylin… :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 09:49 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Is the Mantlet more sluggish than Spinlord Gigant? I thought Gigant was the slowest rubber one can come across .

The dampening sponge seems to be the same as Gigant's!!!

PostPosted: 25 May 2019, 18:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I tried the Lion Mantlet 1.2mm on a TSP black balsa 7.0, I really like it. I takes the pace off really well, despite it being only 1.2mm and on a fast blade.

I has just enough grip to give you control for pushing, which I find very hard with the frictionless ones.

I could do everything with this rubber, push-blocking against backspin worked really well with high control. I could attack backspin ball as well, quite similar to OX LP.
Blocks against loops came off a little higher than some of the low friction LP, but it absorbed the pace well and control was very good.

I'm not ready to swap over from LPs, but I can see how you can easily build a game around this rubber, and for OX LP players the adjustment is not that big, and the control is great.

PostPosted: 26 May 2019, 09:19 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
[quote="haggisv"]I tried the Lion Mantlet 1.2mm on a TSP black balsa 7.0, I really like it. I takes the pace off really well, despite it being only 1.2mm and on a fast blade.

It seems the Lion Mantlet 1.2mm performs very similar to Gigant 1.2 mm because all you say I do it already with my Gigant . Yes, I lose fh attack when I twiddle but I get more points from taking the pace off, serving very short, and attacking with great control with my bh.

I don't have so much time to practise fh topspin so I use my lp play plus attacking with my wrist with Gigant .This weird combination is not loved by any of my opponents so before the game I am winning the psychological battle already :lol: .

Frictionless antis are great to lose money and do not make one a better player, rather ,a player who depends a lot on the anti's reversal performance . Amir would be a poorer player with a classic anti .I do not mean to be disrespectful but most of the points he gets is through the anti's reversal performance.If anyone sees a video by the DMS brand, they only show the winning points when promoting a new anti .

Why can't a FL anti last for a long time? why don't they use materials so the rubber wears out more slowly? why does the ITTF allow these antis? why is the fl LP ban still in force? is the famous ittf executive stiil at war with DR Neubauer? why so many egos at play?

Why the plastic ball change ? why are we made to pay for this whim? we knew the rubber manufacturers would benefit from this change with the so called "improvements" for the new plastic ball .....

In the end, money ....... it appears some just like to prey on the amateur world,which, in reality, makes tt possible,....

Amen

PostPosted: 26 May 2019, 10:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've not tried the Gigant, nor have I tried the DMS rubbers, but the person whos bat I was trying has tried those and also many others, and for him the Mantlet worked best. I was just glad I got a chance to try it, and was surprised how versatile the rubber was on that blade.