OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 13:55 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I need to get back to Boston ttc, see all of you and drink some of JLs water.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 21:28 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Der_Echte wrote:
I need to get back to Boston ttc, see all of you and drink some of JLs water.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Please do come - meanwhile I hope to see you in Vegas at World Vets (~12 folks going from our club, JL included). We should get together or something.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 00:54 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:
Had to reglue my T05fx again, this time with WBG (was told that using rubber cement does not work well with Tenergy) - the stupid thing is shrinking more and more... Have not seen it with any other rubber.

Yeah, that's one of the big reasons I left it. Shrinkage. You can use RC but only on the blade. And let dry completely. WBG on the sponge for the initial gluing (and maybe subsequent gluing).

How are you liking it? I thought you were all about the AK-47, and I was thinking of trying that out myself, although I am finding I really like H3, surprisingly.

I have only tried Tenergy 64 and 05 (not FX) on the Defplay. Felt the 05 was way too high throw with the flexy defplay, but now I wonder if I would feel that way as my level and tastes have changed a lot since then.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 01:42 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Had to reglue my T05fx again, this time with WBG (was told that using rubber cement does not work well with Tenergy) - the stupid thing is shrinking more and more... Have not seen it with any other rubber.

Yeah, that's one of the big reasons I left it. Shrinkage. You can use RC but only on the blade. And let dry completely. WBG on the sponge for the initial gluing (and maybe subsequent gluing).

How are you liking it? I thought you were all about the AK-47, and I was thinking of trying that out myself, although I am finding I really like H3, surprisingly.

I have only tried Tenergy 64 and 05 (not FX) on the Defplay. Felt the 05 was way too high throw with the flexy defplay, but now I wonder if I would feel that way as my level and tastes have changed a lot since then.

T05fx showed up while I was (and still am, by the way) enamored with AK47 - it took a while for the coach to get it in 1.9mm. So, I put it on and decided to stick with it for a bit - perhaps there was something special in the way it felt, or may be I just wanted to make sure I'll get my money's worth, it was like 4x the price of AK47. Obviously not changing just before the tournament, but we'll see afterwards (AK47 will be on the spare blade) - tempted to try regular T05 :devil: .

I don't chop much on FH now (mostly in practice, go figure...) - but it's quite pleasant overall. FH seems to be more consistent with it (remember, Tenergy loops by itself :) ), but I was playing and practicing more too.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 06:35 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:

Guys, Tenergy when glued properly should not shrink at all, not even tiny bit. I have glued dozens of tenergies, new, cut, worn, 05's, 64's, you name it .. and they can be moved from blade to blade with ease. Be sure to use water glue and do NOT stretch it. You can use a roller, just be gentle.

Since Tenergy has no booster from the factory, as long as you stay VOC free (i.e. don't use RC) and as long as you don't stretch it, it will last you months.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 11:16 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

notfound123 wrote:
Guys, Tenergy when glued properly should not shrink at all, not even tiny bit. I have glued dozens of tenergies, new, cut, worn, 05's, 64's, you name it .. and they can be moved from blade to blade with ease. Be sure to use water glue and do NOT stretch it. You can use a roller, just be gentle.

Since Tenergy has no booster from the factory, as long as you stay VOC free (i.e. don't use RC) and as long as you don't stretch it, it will last you months.

Right, and I used rubber cement, so lesson learned :headbang: . It shrunk enough so that more than 2mm of blade is showing on the sides, so I guess it makes it an illegal paddle. Will have to buy a new sheet, I guess.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 11:22 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Gotta withdraw from WVC... cannot get off work.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 11:47 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
Gotta withdraw from WVC... cannot get off work.

That's a bummer...

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 10:34 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Replaced T05fx (1.9mm) with T05 in 2.1mm - paddle got a bit heavier and faster. Took a couple of days to adjust, I think.

Played local tournament yesterday - turnout was not that high, to put it mildly, so we had only 5 players in my age group, for instance. Much to my surprise I ended up winning it, beating a clubmate in 5 games. I suspect he'd beat me 80% of the time if not more, but, well, I got that one. :rock:

Out of curiosity took out my Sword/Ak47/Scylla setup yesterday during the warmup just to see how it feels. Interestingly enough it felt VERY different from my current one, quite hollow if it makes any sense. Now wondering what I should take as my spare paddle to Vegas, don't really have exact copy of the main one at the moment.

Speaking of Vegas and World Vets - RR draws have been posted: I've got a Brazilian with Japanese last name (I bet he's playing with J-pen), German, and a guy from Australia. Was unable to find them on YouTube so far. Australian dude is rated ~850 on RC though, but no clue how to translate it to USATT (I'm ~1380 RC and likely even higher after yesterday, but these are not equivalent).

Played a bit at the club today as well - want to get as much time with T05 as possible. Club was half empty, though, so not a lot of strong players. Did a few matches where I only defended or blocked at the table, and still did quite well. Still have a couple of club nights left and then off to Vegas!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 12:03 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Had a decent league night with 3:2 record. Lost to another chopper (have to solve it at some point...) and dude I never played before, but both losses were pretty close.

Did beat a lower level player pretty easily, had a tense win against a dude who seems to be improving by 150-200 points every time he shows up in the league 3-4 months apart, and finally had most satisfying win of the night against a very consistent club mate - this time I literally went into a beast mode, attacking almost every loose ball (and coming back from being down 1:8 in one of the games). Funny how your style evolves...

Decided to bite the bullet and put another T05 on my spare Sword blade: not an exact copy of my main setup, since I have Scylla OX on the spare, but 'close enough'. Hope I won't have to use it though in Vegas.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 12:10 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Snippets from today's club session:

* Almost blew a game at 10:4 - won 12:10 though.
* Did blow a game where I was up 8:1. :@
* Beat a decent looper for the first time, 3:0 too. :party:
* Got a priceless coaching advice from the sidelines after I got crushed 11:4 in the first game: "just put the ball on the table and only attack high balls". Did not even have to attack once in the next game, won it 11:5 or close to it.

Goals for the World Vets, from the most likely to the least likely:

* Win one game
* Win one match
* Win SE match
* Advance to the main bracket

In general, I'd like to meet and play as many folks as possible, in addition to the official matches, looks like it's one of the purposes of the tournament.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 01:33 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
notfound123 wrote:
Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:

To be clear....

As long as you use RC on the blade ONLY and allow the RC to dry completely, there are no VOCs in the glue and cannot effect the rubber. If you put it directly on the sponge wet, then yes the VOCs will come into play.

For me, the Tenergy 64 and 05 both shrunk using WBG and only WBG because I was given the same instructions to not use RC. Perhaps it was because I rolled it on, but I was gentle so...who knows. The 05 shrunk while glued to a Jpen (WBG onlly) and I never re-glued.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 09:34 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

WVC2018 Diary, Day 1.

Registered in the morning, while lines were somewhat reasonable. Got my bib number and a backpack.
Ventured into the playing hall, which was quite full. Did manage to find a free table at the perimeter and hit with a few folks on that and nearby tables:

* Chinese lady with LP (or may be MP) on FH - it did not look good for me at first but it got easier later on. She was hitting aggressively on both wings. We did not play the match, but she probably was the toughest I saw all day.

* Japanese dude, with a looping attitude.We only hit for a short time and then I gave back the table to him and his doubles partner (randomly assigned) so that they could hit together.

* English guy of Indian (?) descent - lefty with aggressive FH drive and wristy BH punch. Played a practice match which see-sawed into 5 games, which I won in the end.

* Greek fella who pushed almost everything with a very jerky strokes, creating pretty weird balls (inverted on both sides). Illegal serves too. We played two matches, which I won 3:0 and 3:2.

* Polish dude who looked ~1500-1600 USATT. We just hit for ~30 min, on the table right next to one with J.Persson and E. Lindh practicing - I think I'll be in the background of a LOT of pictures. :rofl:

Red floor for all tables, but I thought some courts were a bit tight. I was afraid it would be too hot inside (almost 100F/37C outside), but it was fine. Joola balls (Flash) and tables. Scorekeeping at every table.

So far, main impression is that I'm not as out of place here as I was afraid I might be - plenty of folks, including the ones in my age group, look quite beatable. :)

Already met half of my club mates and a couple of folks I've seen at other tournaments.

Opening ceremony is later tonight and matches start tomorrow (11:30 for me). I suspect I'll be done with playing by 1 pm or so - and after that (and before) I guess I will cheer for people I know - not much else to do, unless I find few good choppers to watch.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 09:52 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Sitting in a hotel room, watching live broadcast of Badminton US Open (on Olympic TV channel). Mixed doubles final between Malaysian and German pairs.

* Someone actually broadcasts this!
* Footwork is tough.
* It's actually pretty hard to follow shuttlecock at times.
* Had no idea badminton had short game...
* Not a lot of spin, but hitting with a very good placement is awesome. One can defend too, but it's not like chopping where you can actually win point with defense,
* Still no clue how serve works or what the rules for doubles are - looks like there is no 'alternate shots' rule.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 10:14 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

I have a friend or 3 from my club in Brisbane, Australia you might see around the place :-) good luck guys!

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 70  Next