OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 10:25 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Cobalt wrote:

Incidentally I hate watching that video above. My flaws are all so obvious and it makes me cringe. Short backswing, no hip rotation, chicken wing backhand, topspin serve return problems etc. The other guy had a much better forehand and backhand but I still won (no idea with my serves). It also gives me encouragement watching that video as I know that I'm able to play at a decent level with all the baggage so if I can actually iron out some of that stuff, perhaps another 100 point rise in ratings awaits me.

haha - that's a common feeling - I think I skip around the table like a gazelle, the videos somehow show me lumbering like a bear...

yip, eliminate 3 or 4 mistakes per game, would make a big difference...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 11:54 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
PRW wrote:

Quote:
haha - that's a common feeling - I think I skip around the table like a gazelle, the videos somehow show me lumbering like a bear...

Weren't we talking about delusions of being able to play table tennis on another thread?

... says the one who has been accused of not playing table tennis, while beating typical attack oriented players. Just because I choose not to get drawn into the "my loop / flat hit / smash / <insert attacking shot of choice> is better than yours ...

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 19:37 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Tried the Rhyzm today and unfortunately wasn't impressed. Not to say it's not a good rubber but just wasn't what I'm looking for. Didn't seem to be much dwell, throw was lower and spin was less than I wanted. Was tested on my Gewo Alvaro Robles Off- blade.

The other thing that came out of the session is my friend was using Hexer on an Andro Temper Tech All+ and it was pretty much what I'm looking for. My loops had good height and dip making them harder to control the blocks. I found it easy to spin the ball up for example when it just went off the side of the table on my forehand side I was able to easily spin it back up and on.

Being both stubborn and individual I can't bring myself to buy 'Robs bat' as its 'Robs bat'. I want something that's 'Cobalts bat'. One or the other would be ok ie bat or rubber, not both. Silly isn't it.

So now I'm at a bit of a loss. Is it more likely blade or rubber that is the difference. My rubber was 2.0mm, Hexer 2.1mm. I can't imagine this wood be a big issue. My blade is Off-, Rob's is All+. Again can't imagine that is a big issue. So where to go now?

I've got a year old Baracuda that is similar to Hexer so can try that. Can also try the Rhyzm on my Appelgren to see if it plays different however I suspect that I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get a sheet of Hexer and try sell on the Rhyzm.

Edit: Two weeks on and I'm quite happy with the Rhyzm. I've switched it to the Appelgren and just seems to work better. It may also have loosened up a bit since the initial hit. Spin ok and speed is quite good, even with the ALL blade.

Last edited by Cobalt on 28 Jun 2018, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 20:05 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Not much dwell, as in it was catapulting out too easily or as in the ball wasn’t sinking in?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 20:47 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Just didn't seem to grab that well, possibly didn't sink in. My strike is not that powerful so perhaps a harder strike would be better. The dip just wasn't there, could still be blade though.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 20:53 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Nittaku Renanos Hold is one of the spinniest rubbers I've tried and as the name suggests, plenty of dwell.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 21:46 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Actually quite reluctant to try something completely new and untested. Just need a little patience now. I've probably got the tools to test things, just need to go through the options before jumping at something else.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 22:07 
Super User

Where’s your EJ spirit? It’s only untested until you try it. [WINKING FACE]

Actually Hexer is one of the few tensors that I’ve tried that I really liked. Hexer Duro to be precise. Good spin and fast enough without a pronounced catapult.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2018, 23:26 
Super User

FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Cobalt wrote:
Tried the Rhyzm today and unfortunately wasn't impressed. Not to say it's not a good rubber but just wasn't what I'm looking for. Didn't seem to be much dwell, throw was lower and spin was less than I wanted. Was tested on my Gewo Alvaro Robles Off- blade..

Sound a bit like the characteristics of a new rubber that has not been broken in. Was this the first time you have tried out a new sheet? Perhaps a couple more sessions before moving on.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 00:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That looked really good! IMO spin is much more effective than speed. It's very hard to turn your own topspin against you, but a good blocker can absolutely use your speed to make life hard. With a long swing like your fh loop that's even more true. You already have to fall back on re-blocking some blocks now, which is a very bad habit, more speed would make that worse.

There is a perfect soft and very spinny rubber to match exactly what you want. I know you aren't considering it, but it's t05fx.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 00:53 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Retriever wrote:
PRW wrote:

Quote:

Weren't we talking about delusions of being able to play table tennis on another thread?

... says the one who has been accused of not playing table tennis, while beating typical attack oriented players. Just because I choose not to get drawn into the "my loop / flat hit / smash / <insert attacking shot of choice> is better than yours ...

haha - my delusions are what keep me coming back for more! :D

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 01:02 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Cobalt,
Rakza 07 Soft max. I play this on a balsa blade, which may add or subtract from the dwelliness, but it's a great rubber.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 01:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Dusty054 wrote:
Actually Hexer is one of the few tensors that I’ve tried that I really liked. Hexer Duro to be precise. Good spin and fast enough without a pronounced catapult.

I've always wondered when one would use a Hexer instead of the newer Rasants and Rasanters. Reading the advertising materials gives NO clue whatsoever. And based on my experiences with quite a few different rubbers, I don't think it makes all that much of a difference in the end... :lol: (Currently playing with Rakza X, before that Evolution MX-P, before that Tin Arc 3, before that Rasant and Rasant Powergrip... and a whole bunch of Chinese rubbers including Big Dipper, Kangaroo, and a slew of $5 sheets.. will probably try Baracuda or Rakza 7 next, whichever is cheaper... since all the previous ones were on the harder side of the spectrum.. maybe this time I'd be able to tell the difference.. :lol: Oh wait... I still have a sheet of Tin Arc 5 I haven't used yet. )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 02:55 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Dusty054 wrote:

I've always wondered when one would use a Hexer instead of the newer Rasants and Rasanters. Reading the advertising materials gives NO clue whatsoever. And based on my experiences with quite a few different rubbers, I don't think it makes all that much of a difference in the end...

Probably not much diff but the older gen tensors like Hexer, Baracuda, Genius etc might be a bit better suited to my all round FH. For similar reasons I like the linearity of many Japanese rubbers.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 09:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

To be honest all this EJ lately, prompted by Silver's comment about using something faster due to forehand needing more bite, has made me want to just simply reset and go back to my Appelgren as my base. I've always loved tinkering and never really thought it made much difference however yesterday for the first time I discovered there actually was something I liked and something I didn't like so much. This is good in a way but also makes future purchases and EJing a bit perilous.

Normally the response to EJ is to just pick something and stick with it but now I know a preferred set up doors exist, I just need to work out which combo it is.

So in regard to the their, ball arc, spin etc, is it more likely rubber or blade?