OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 05:21 

Blade: 729 C-5 FL
FH: 729 Super FX Max
BH: DHS H3 Neo 2.15
As you can probably tell from the lengthy title of this post, I'm on the hunt for a new blade. I'm learning to control my spin and adapt to others, so I would like a blade that is relatively slow for a mainly close to the table/mid distance player. I would also like it to be flexible, so when I'm up on the table, and I do a slow, spinny loop, I can see and feel the spin imparted on the ball and see also the results on the other side of the table. Some blades I'm considering are the Yasaka Sweden Classic, Stiga Allround Classic, and OC. The OC however might be a bit fast, different reviewers seem to have different opinions. Actually, that is the main reason I'm coming to you guys. On revspin and many other review sites, many people seem to have different opinions, and most of them seem to have little to no idea of what they're talking about.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, or tips. :)

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 09:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sweden classic is a great blade for the type of game you are talking about, controlled spin close to the table. The "can be Powerful" part is tricky. A sweden classic can be powerful *enough*, if you use leverage and body rotation, and your timing is on. That should tell you it's not powerful like a viscaria or any carbon blade. There's a tradeoff between power and control. You can have lots of one, or some of both, never lots of both. Choices.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 10:05 

Blade: 729 C-5 FL
FH: 729 Super FX Max
BH: DHS H3 Neo 2.15
BRS wrote:
Sweden classic is a great blade for the type of game you are talking about, controlled spin close to the table. The "can be Powerful" part is tricky. A sweden classic can be powerful *enough*, if you use leverage and body rotation, and your timing is on. That should tell you it's not powerful like a viscaria or any carbon blade. There's a tradeoff between power and control. You can have lots of one, or some of both, never lots of both. Choices.

Thank you! I believe I will be picking one up from table tennis 11. As for the power part, I believe it will be a great opportunity to improve my technique and form! :up:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 10:14 
Super User

I can vouch for the Sweden Classic. Enough power with lots of control & feel. Classic blade. :up:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 12:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I believe the Appelgren Allplay is nearly identical to the Sweden Classic if want another option. I've always wanted to try one. Another option could be Stiga Allround Evolution. All are very similar. A club member recently broke his Stiga Offensive classic, replaced it with a Xiom Aria lite but was too fast. Not long after broke that and replaced it with the Yasaka Sweden Classic and is very happy.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 13:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Get the $10 blade (used to be $9 last month)... :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sel ... 22548.html

I mean, it's only $10... definitely worth a try. And believe me, it's a good blade. I've got about 20 of them... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 13:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Oh wait.. $9 (different vendor):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 01460.html

I'm tempted to order a couple of these, nice to have some of more recent manufacture and different color scheme for sake of comparison. Might be better (more interested) customer service than XVT.. (XVT will not put much effort into choosing a specific weight or a matching pair, like Eacheng would... maybe these guys are better...)..

Note that you get a free racket case.. of course only schoolkids use that type of racket case... :lol:

Note that these blades tend to be about 5g lighter than the Stiga Allround Classic et al.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 14:32 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Iskandar, I'm looking at getting a bat for my nearly 3 year old. Does the M8 have a small handle? What is the weight and head size?

Do you now anything else with a small handle?

At the moment we have him using a Kmart/Walmart dodgy bat but the straight handle is pretty thick.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 14:49 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
OP Coyman…

The KEY to getting top end power out of an ordinary ALL to ALL+ blade like the excellent Allround Evolution is having a modern dynamic Max Sponged rubber on FH. Every company makes one or five of these, so it isn't hard to find.

Just get a dynamic Modern OFF rubber that isn't crazy hard sponged. On a well struck ball, a medium hard sponged modern dynamic rubber and the flex of the blade will do some amazing things for you.

I could suggest something like older Rasant, Rasanter, Xiom Sigma Pro or a gazillion others.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 14:53 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Cobalt wrote:
Iskandar, I'm looking at getting a bat for my nearly 3 year old. Does the M8 have a small handle? What is the weight and head size?

At the moment we have him using a Kmart/Walmart dodgy bat but the straight handle is pretty thick.

Nittaku kasumi basic, latika light. Butterfly fukuhara ai (original 5W - the special tamca5000 may have had compact head too). All compact head and small flare

Older Andro had a compact head but large flare between a master and a legend

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 15:29 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

The Yasaka 2040 is also a very good option if you need a smaller handle.
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-2040

In my experience, light weight is required for the average 3-year-old player (only "instructed" 3 players in that age group, so no extensive experience). Use the thinnest sponge available. Otherwise, the weight is going to impact timing (inertia, not a lot of weight, but it matters) as well as aim (wrist bends backwards during stroke).

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 15:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Cobalt wrote:

The handle is smaller than normal, but not 3-year-old small! :lol: The head is normal-sized. I think the lightest one I have is 72 or 73 grams, the heaviest probably just over 80. For miniature bats.. how about one of those Yinhe "sign bats"? I suppose you could also get a M8 and cut/sand down the head. Then use 1.5mm sponge rubber (Batwings is readily available and comes in 1.5mm). Nice thing about the M8 is it'll cost you a fraction of what the other suggested blades would cost so you could butcher it up without too many qualms..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2018, 16:16 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

About the "sign bats": They are actually quite useable (I use them sometimes as a fun item, dragged out of my back pocket ;-) ), and the weight and handle size is perfect for the age group, but the size of the hitting area makes it very difficult for the youngest to hit a moving ball. If the stroke succeeds (i.e. it hits the ball) only 1 out of 10 times, the motivation will drop like a brick.

In my opinion the other suggestion, to cut down the size of a normal blade, is better. Removing 1-2cm (~1/2") of top and sides will reduce load significantly without making the hitting area too small.

Last edited by keme on 19 Jun 2018, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2018, 03:23 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
One option might be to choose blades from a family of blades from the same manufacturer. For example, I played with the OSP Virtuoso+ for a couple years then upgraded to the Ultimate II. Same great control and overall feel but the added plies with the UII give it a noticeable increase in power. If you pick blades from different manufacturers, the feel can be very different from one another.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!