OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 04:28 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
That is not true.
If you were standing on the shore with your toes in the water, you would see part of the island. Your line of sight is starting about 5 feet above the water. If you were to lay down so your eyes were at water level, you would not see any of the island.
I have proven this with Hat Island in Puget Sound. You should quit telling Lies. There are people on here that want to know the truth. :rock:

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 13:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mac33 wrote:
I encourage every ball earther to take a visit to the sea or ocean.

Put that straight edge across the horizon and the water will never drop below the line of the straight edge,no matter how far you look to the left or right.

I have done the experiment. I therefore can only conclude we have been lied to.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mac, I'm beginning to wonder if you've EVER been to the "sea or ocean". Probably the closest you've ever been is a YouTube video. Are you SURE that 12 inch ruler you say you held up to the horizon isn't bent by 9 thousands of an inch? (That's about the width of a human hair.) If it is, can you tell??? That's how much YOU claim the horizon needs to drop off (24 feet in six miles). Quit beating around the bush - can you or can you not tell whether something is curved by this much? Just because I made this argument 4 pages ago doesn't mean you can just ignore it, I'll keep reminding you again and again that your "ruler" is as bent as the horizon, and you can't tell.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:07 
Super User

So rulers are now not straight - they are convex exactly to the correct amount to the curvature of the earth?

When tradesman use spirit levels to build buildings,the bubble in the spirit level must also be convex if your claims that water bends to conform to the claimed shape of the earth,a sphere.

The vast majority of our buildings the world are therefore actually not built flat as the water bubble in a spirit level is actually slightly convex,really?

There are numerous low lying islands off the west coast of Scotland that you can see from distances - that were the earth a sphere would NOT be visible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... f_Scotland

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 18:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mac33 wrote:
So rulers are now not straight - they are convex exactly to the correct amount to the curvature of the earth?

The point is you can't tell. Or maybe you CLAIM you can??? Do you really have micrometer eyes?

No, buildings aren't built level to the thousandths of an inch. It's impossible to do so, and if they were, YOU wouldn't be able to tell if they were. I can tell you've never had to work with precision measuring equipment, with micrometers, etc. because you seem to have absolutely NO IDEA why such instruments exist in the first place. That bubble level is a very coarse tool - you can't use it to tell if something is slanted by 0.01 degree.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 18:26 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

mac33 wrote:

When tradesman use spirit levels to build buildings,the bubble in the spirit level must also be convex if your claims that water bends to conform to the claimed shape of the earth,a sphere.

The vast majority of our buildings the world are therefore actually not built flat as the water bubble in a spirit level is actually slightly convex,really?

There are numerous low lying islands off the west coast of Scotland that you can see from distances - that were the earth a sphere would NOT be visible.

Please, find your spirit level and observe the spirit (not water) vial, and the air (not water) bubble inside the vial, while reading through what you just wrote. Compare your description to actual shapes you observe. Want to rephrase?

If you have a really old level, the vial may be a bent tube. Modern levels almost always have a uniformly radially convex vial so you can also use it "upside down". And it may surprise you, but the purpose of its curvature is not adaptation to earth curvature. I promise you, it isn't. The convexity of the bubble also has no connection to earth curvature. Instead it depends on surface tension. I would also say that the near spherical shape of the bubble is more than "slightly convex". If the shape of that bubble should decide the shape and angle of building walls, roofs and floors, we would all be in great danger. Your statements indicate that you are all at sea...

...which takes me to the Islands of Scotland. For one thing, did you take the tidal range into account? Did you check any one island in particular before you made your statement? Any one at all? One will do. (Photos would be nice, but verbal statements are OK.)

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2018, 23:12 

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive
FH: Rakza Xs
BH: Mark V
mac33 wrote:

That is correct - no building on earth is built completely/perfectly flat, because no board is completely/perfectly straight. But they are straight enough that our imperfect eyes (imperfect in the sense that they cannot see things smaller than 0.1 millimeters) cannot tell the difference. Similarly the fact that the horizon appears to match the ruler says nothing about the ruler or the horizon, it merely points out that the difference is so small it cannot be discerned by the human eye.

mac33 wrote:

I went to that Wiki article and the funny thing is - it does not say anything about whether these islands are visible from the other land masses around them or not. So your reference to this article is a red herring. It's like saying there are rhinos and narwhals in the world so unicorns must be real.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2018, 15:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

About "down".. :lol:

Wonder what Mac will make of all those equations... must be bogus.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2018, 16:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Another really good video. All about how far the horizon is, how big the Earth is compared to mountains, etc. Mac won't think so, though... :lol:

There's even stuff in there about islands off the Scottish coast and why you can see them beyond the horizon (they're tall, of course..... :lol: ).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2018, 20:41 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
Apparently, we are all part of the Satanist conspiracy, whether we believe in Satan or not (I suspect most of us don't).

Many years ago, when I was a little kid living in Greenacres in Adelaide, I was out with some other little kid (we were about 9), when he complained about the heat. His words were something along the lines of "It's amazing how something as small as that sun can be so hot". I said that the sun was much bigger than the Earth, and just looked small because it was so far away,which really upset him. He claimed that the sun was bigger than it looked, but only about as big as our street "from here to the end." It struck me at that point that he suffered from a lack of -- what? comprehension, imagination, whatever. His mind could go so far and no further. And he wasn't even from the JW family across the street, who firmly believed that the Earth was exactly as it had always been and always would be. I assumed that he would grow into understanding and that at this point there was nothing to gain by talking to him.

Kind of how I feel about this thread. Without the assumption of future growth.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018, 12:40 
Super User

Hey mac33, I'm just interested in your mental processes. Can you share with us what goes through your mind when one of us asks you a direct question? For example, iskander keeps asking if you've checked your ruler, but you never, ever answer the question. I've asked you numerous questions, but you don't answer them either. Why not? What are your thought processes?

From my perspective, if someone asks me a direct question I feel obliged to provide an answer. Of course, there may be some questions which I consider to be too personal and might tell someone to mind their own business, but that's not often the case. And I don't think the questions you're being asked fall into that category. As an instance, I've posted on the World Cup topic, clearly stating my preferences; if someone challenged me by asking a direct question, I couldn't return to that topic and ignore it. That would be rude. You don't appear to feel the same way. Please share why you seem so comfortable ignoring questions you're asked.

(But I expect you'll ignore this post too!)

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018, 13:14 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Satanist propaganda!

Attachment:
DLoGHYgWkAArGSp.jpg
DLoGHYgWkAArGSp.jpg [ 113.92 KiB | Viewed 1744 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 00:36 
Super User

Yeah,i have put a straight edge across the horizon at sea numerous times and its perfectly flat.

Watch from 6 minutes to 6`45.

Buckie to Wick across the sea.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAE8eqtTxI

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 01:27 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Mac obviously can not understand why he cant see the error on the ruler on the horizon. The error being about .009 inch. His disdain for education explains it. I have a grandson that understands it perfectly. But he has higher education, 7th grade. :lol:

The only reason I have not locked this thread, Mac is doing such a good job showing that the earth is round. :rofl:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 03:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess Mac can't understand that the Earth is so big and that he's so small that it LOOKS flat when it really isn't. The last two videos I posted show how this works, and why water wouldn't drip off the bottom of a spherical Earth, but I don't expect him to actually watch them or understand them. He can't understand why a 12 inch ruler curved by .009 inch LOOKS flat but ISN'T, so I can't expect him to get into General Relativity. Everyone else should watch those videos - they're really well made and very, very understandable. I'm going to make my students watch them.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 14:52 
Super User

mac33 wrote:
Yeah,i have put a straight edge across the horizon at sea numerous times and its perfectly flat.

But that wasn't the question, was it? The question was, "Have you checked your ruler?". If your ruler is out by .009", it will still look flat. Have you checked your ruler to make absolutely, 100% positively sure your rule has zero deviation? How did you do that? What was the standard you used to ensure that your measurement was totally accurate? Any fool can tell you that something might look straight but in fact not be true. Holding a curved ruler to the horizon automatically invalidates any results you get.

So, for yet one more time, have you checked your ruler?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 64  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!