OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 15:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 18:44 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
A discussion on the plastic ball. Kind of long and dry, but I watched it all.

The first video you can pretty much skip.

The second video is all about how to play with the plastic ball. Notably, it contains not one word about defensive table tennis (other than maybe a brief mention of aggressive long pushes). Really seems like primarily defensive players are dead to the ITTF these days.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 09:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Summary of the video in English. Reading solely the summary is sufficient for me to get the whole idea.

Part 1
Part 2
https://www.ittfeducation.com/eva-jeler ... -our-game/

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 09:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

English bottom captions to the video are expected shortly. In a day or two.

Last edited by igorponger on 05 Jul 2018, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 10:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

For the good of those people unfamiliar to speaking English.

Attachments:
File comment: Created by YOUTUBE editing tools authomatically.
captions.pdf [34.93 KiB]
Downloaded 217 times

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 07:20 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
It has been disastrous for the majority of older long pimples players.
Bulldog

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 14:24 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
No change whatsoever in our club. A graders are still A graders, B graders still B graders. No significant differences in rankings either. Storm in a tea cup of you ask me. Though I accept there are changes that would affect some players, I don't think it makes any difference to the average player.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 16:51 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Nobody is average!
Bulldog

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 20:57 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I don’t like the ABS ball at all. The loss of spin affects my game. Certain shots that used to be “safe” get attacked now. Also, spinny serves don’t work as well.

Lately I've been buying and testing new equipment to try to get the spin levels back up again. I think the ITTF intentionally mucks with the game every few years to force players to buy new equipment.

On the plus side, with the plastic ball serves are easier to receive and I don’t have to drop back as far to chop.

I think the new ball definitely affects finesse players who rely on spin and strategy more than attacking players who overpower the ball.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 01:05 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
You can see the trend clearly when playing with club players since they were cadets, sub-juniors etc.

Now the younger kids attack EVERY ball regardless of whether they were successful previous balls. Older kids loop lower and setup for kill balls. A lot of counter-hit serves in plain sight or disguised. Almost no one seems to have the patience for push game !!! Pips-out and Anti players getting creamed on the 3rd or 5th ball attacks. Kids are BH looping Pips-Out returns.

I am a C-pen player so my "Push" flick with the wrist confuses the hell out of a lot of players. Even the coaches have commented about how I am "attacking" with "push" ! :D

That is how much the Plastic ball has started to affect the game around in my place.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 04:09 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
Major trend I saw in the U.S. Nationals among the juniors and cadets - super short ball. Not just a short backspin push. Short no spin drop shots in response to short serves. Anyone else see Kanak doing that a lot?

Goes right in line with what Eva Jeler is saying. Move players in to the table. Very smart.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 09:01 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
At my local club the best polyball serve is short low no spin with the plastic ball. for some reason people struggle with it, people that if I had done that with a celluloid ball would flick it back. Now the same players have a higher error rate with this stroke, even after a season of playing with the new ball.

I put it down to a few factors that are local to out centre, the main one being that old poly balls are continuously used due to costs, so they are not as good to play with soft with a slippery surface after hours of play.

That said new poly/ABS seamless balls, like the STAG ones we've tried, don't seem to produce the same behaviours. They actually play better for longer.

The impact over all has been negligible at the club. Rankings of players are the same give or take a few unexpected losses. Nothing outside the standard deviation I think though

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 11:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
For me, the change has definitely be detrimental overall, and I've had to change my game to adjust.

For my forehand I win the majority of points from slow high spin loops, and these are most definitely less effective now. I remember a few weeks back playing about 10 games against one of my regular practice partners... being surprised how much trouble he had with my loops... he has trouble controlling the high spin. I asked if he had changed to a new rubber, he hadn't. I remember thinking if I had used a different cleaner, or something else for my bat, I hadn't. I wasn't till be finished when we noticed we were using an old 40+ ball, not one of the new ones. I guess that was like a blind test for me, and pretty conclusive.

For my backhand with pimples, I do notice less reversal, but because I mix chops, blocks, swipes, hits, etc a lot, I don't rely so much on reversal, so the impact on that part of my game is not so clear.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 15:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There is definitely a difference between the 40 and 40+ balls, and it's noticeable to anyone who plays with them. However, I haven't seen that it's affected rankings at the world level that much, if at all. The players have all had to adapt, I'm sure - supposedly the Chinese players all went to slightly harder sponge, according to certain (suspicious) web sites (which sell "national" "personal" rubbers). If the ball affects long pips players that much - have we seen an overall drop in ranking among, for instance, the North Korean women choppers such as Kim Song I. In the case of Kim, her world ranking went UP drastically as the plastic ball came into use... ~150 in 2012, ~80 in 2015, as low as 29 in late 2016. Now back up to ~50.

For me the most hard-to-adapt-to characteristic of the new ball is the propensity of the seamless ones to bounce sideways due to sidespin. But I've gotten more used to it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 17:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

CONTINUED REVISION OF THE PLASTIC FORMULA. DHS D40+.

Just go and have a try with the newer batch of DHS D40+ balls. Dated May 2018 or later. The balls are reported to play just like the regular celluloid balls.

It is entirely obvious for me, DHS keeps searching for a better plastic material, periodically making some variations in plastic formulation. So, you can perceive a clear difference between the older D40+ and the newer batches.

NOTE: Production Date Encoding

X =0
A =1
B =2
C =3
D =4
E =5
F =6
G =7
H =8
I =9

Encoding example:
XF AH read as 06 18 June 2018.

-------------
BE HAPPPPY.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 05:44 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Sometimes people still use 40mm balls for multiball or with a robot, and sometimes when I am practicing at the club a partner will accidentally pick up an "old" ball. I will feel and sense it right away - it feels quite different. However, after a couple of years now (yes really!) of "new" balls, I now find I play *worse* with the old ball than the new.

I don't think it's made much difference to my results. Generally I'd say the overall levels of players are the same - I haven't noticed a significant drop off of formerly successful players, or a significant rise of players of a different style. The one area I think I've noticed a difference is that players who have not *adapted* their game, are finding it a bit hard, but I don't really know people who haven't adapted.

I'm noticing a more aggressive style overall, but that said, the two top juniors under 18 in the UK are both LP modern defenders... (although both use sponge).

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!