OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 22:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
There's something magnetic about this thread...and some polar opposites here :D :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 00:14 
Super User

And to think hookshot was thinking about putting a lock on this thread.

What is your take Reborn on why you can see the hills near Wick from Buckie,at a distance of nearly 60 miles?

The guy could be lying of course,I've not been there and verified it for myself.

But if he's not lying....

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 01:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mac33 wrote:
And to think hookshot was thinking about putting a lock on this thread.

What is your take Reborn on why you can see the hills near Wick from Buckie,at a distance of nearly 60 miles?

The guy could be lying of course,I've not been there and verified it for myself.

But if he's not lying....

The vid that Iskandar put up in the thread below is indeed very explanatory as regards our ability to see or not see things from any position we might stand on the earth Mac. It does indeed explain the Scotland Islands issue very well (about minute 19). And what else it does is fit very well within my own experiences of using my Nikon p900 to photograph the moon (same camera that took the picture of across Seattle lake). I've done a lot of moon photography with it in the last year or so at different times and what he says bears out in the pictures I can take of it (and would be reversible if I were standing on the moon with my camera taking pictures of earth).

I have stood on a tower that stands about 50 feet up and zoomed in to see an airfield that was not visible to the naked eye. Can't tell you off hand the exact distance the airfield was away, but from the height of the tower I think it would have been inside the distance a calculator would say vision would extend to. Just my eyes don't have the 83X zoom that my camera has. I'm sure I could have seen things even further away in the lens, except trees and hills get in the way, as the video below points out, but then there still comes a limit imposed by the earth's curve. A curve we cannot see while standing on said Earth due to its vastness and our proximity to it. But clearly visible on the moon by any means including the naked eye - but with a device that will zoom the moon in you can see it also has terrain (or what we call craters).

Watch the video below Mac, as many times as you need, and it should sink in that a ruler simply cannot be used to prove (or disprove) a flat or globed earth from where we stand. But you can use a ruler to prove the moon is not flat....so use your imagination and put yourself on the moon looking back at earth and seeing its not flat either.

I don't think you are dumb enough to believe the earth truly is flat...I do believe you like this discussion enough to stir the pot to keep it going so long ;) :lol:

iskandar taib wrote:
Another really good video. All about how far the horizon is, how big the Earth is compared to mountains, etc. Mac won't think so, though... :lol:

There's even stuff in there about islands off the Scottish coast and why you can see them beyond the horizon (they're tall, of course..... :lol: ).

Iskandar

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 01:55 
Super User

Nice pleasant answer reborn,but a direct answer would have been preferable.

At a distance of 60 miles away on a 25000 mile sphere - you cannot see things at eye level unless they are at a height of greater than 2166 feet.

So if you watch the vid the guy said he lived near Buckie and he can see the hills near Wick 60 miles away across the sea.

A direct explanation for this clear inconsistency to their ball earth theory would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 02:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Mac's obviously referring to this video:

I tried to find the place in the video where this was shown and couldn't find it. No, I didn't watch the entire thing (BORING) - the whole video is just some guys driving around in a car wearing Flat Earth T-shirts interviewing various people to see if they "believe" in a flat Earth so I fast forwarded through it and looked at various parts of it. If there aren't any photos of the "hills of Wick" as seen from "Buckie" I'm not interested. If someone just said it I want to know where this Wick and this Buckie is. And then I want to know WHERE he saw Wick from Buckie (elevation is important - if Wick happens to be a tall hill you will of course be able to see further). I also want a photo of Wick as seen from this vantage point to ascertain if it's just the tops of the hills you can see or if you can see the low lying areas as well. I want to measure the distance on a map - 60 miles by road in the Scottish Highlands is NOT 60 miles in a straight line.

Interestingly enough... at 15:19 they're trying to convince the pipe-playing "sergeant" that the sea horizon is flat, HE said he held a ruler up to the horizon and he could see it was curved.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Took quite a bit to convince him, made all sorts of claims that "there was no photographic evidence", "used a spirit level", etc. All unsubstantiated, of course. I don't think they did in the end, he just wanted to go off and start playing so he kind of ends it.. anything to get rid of those nuisances... :lol:

It's just another Flat Earth propaganda video, same as Mac posting here - people spouting unverified stuff from other YouTube videos. Shows and proves nothing. GREAT example of Mac's "Research".

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 02:38 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bucki ... d-2.967311

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 02:39 
Super User

6 minutes to 6-45

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 03:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

PRW wrote:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Buckie,+UK/@58.0327695,-3.5477741,8.85z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4884f92e811c6565:0x822cd86563c34568!8m2!3d57.677392!4d-2.967311

And Wick is NNW, across the bay, near John O' Groats. Measured distance, town to town is 53.7 miles (not 60). Both towns are on the coast (and therefore pretty low) but where does HE live? "Near" Buckie. There's some hills near Buckie. And he doesn't say he can see Wick, he says something about "hills" and "2000 feet". So let's say he's observing from 30m (96 feet) up. We go to the calculator at Metabunk:

https://www.metabunk.org/curve/

and plug in 53.7 miles and we get 1159.6 Feet hidden and 948.65 Feet hidden if you take refraction into consideration. So if the hills are "2000 feet" in height, as he says, you should EASILY see them if they're big enough (or a telescope should show them). You will, however, only see the TOP HALF. Even if you change the distance to 60 miles, you should still be able to see the top 500 feet of the hills. Again, no photographs in the video. Just assertions (no need to doubt the observation in this case, since I've shown it's possible to see what he says he sees) and some dubious calculations those guys are referring to. If the Earth were flat, you should not only see the top half of the mountain, you should be able to see the HOUSES in Wick (you can see them on Google Earth, by the way) with a good enough telescope, and there's no way you'll see those because the Earth is NOT flat.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 03:28 
Super User

He said he you can see the hills which are obviously beyond Wick which is on the coast.

"And you can see the whole thing ( hills)".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moray_Firth

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 03:41 
Super User

63 miles to the northern part of the harbour according to this link.....

http://ports.com/sea-route/#/?a=3099&b= ... %20Kingdom

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 08:02 
Super User

mac33 wrote:

You are extraordinarily rude. You won't answer a single direct question with any kind of answer. Again, I accuse you of trolling. If you were sincere, you would at least make an effort; instead you point blank refuse to answer anything. The rules of the forum are quite explicit: trolling is not allowed. I am now officially asking the moderators to ban you from the forum.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 11:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mac33 wrote:
63 miles to the northern part of the harbour according to this link.....

http://ports.com/sea-route/#/?a=3099&b= ... %20Kingdom

OK, so we plug in 63 miles.

Hidden= 1734.47 Feet (20813.62 Inches)
Refracted Hidden= 1431.19 Feet (17174.23 Inches)

You should still be able to see the top 270 feet, or the top 570 feet if you take refraction into account. Still no cigar. Who knows what "the whole thing" means, I want a photograph.

birchamboi wrote:
mac33 wrote:

You are extraordinarily rude. You won't answer a single direct question with any kind of answer. Again, I accuse you of trolling. If you were sincere, you would at least make an effort; instead you point blank refuse to answer anything. The rules of the forum are quite explicit: trolling is not allowed. I am now officially asking the moderators to ban you from the forum.

I think we should cut him some slack.. He's not deliberately being rude when he doesn't address stuff we bring up, he just doesn't know what to do other than do what he's been doing (No surprise, right? Since there's really no substance behind the whole idea...). SOP when you don't have any answers.. :lol: Besides, where else would I post cool videos I come across on the subject?

He wanted a direct answer, I've provided one. Let's see what counter arguments he comes up with (I expect him to just jump to the next video he comes across... probably the boat laser thing yet again.. :lol: )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 12:29 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Mac, your slack is running out.

You need to post a photo of the island through a telescope. At 63 miles, you cant tell if you are seeing the whole island or just the top. You also don't give the height of the observer.
Too bad you don't have any higher education. You cant even understand the explanations given. :rofl:

If you don't start answering some of the questions, I will have to assume you are just a troll. I will be forced to enforce forum rules. I have official complaints and will have no choice. Final warning.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 12:55 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
birchamboi wrote:
mac33 wrote:

You are extraordinarily rude. You won't answer a single direct question with any kind of answer. Again, I accuse you of trolling.

I think we should cut him some slack.. He's not deliberately being rude when he doesn't address stuff we bring up, he just doesn't know what to do other than do what he's been doing

Iskandar
No, I think the time has come for him to put up or shut up. He IS being deliberately rude, and he knows it. How hard is it to reply either "I have not checked my ruler" or "I have checked my ruler, and this is how I did it"? Even a five year old can answer yes or no to a basic question like that. He's simply not answering because he's too feeble to admit he can't check any of the claims he's making.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 15:36 
Super User

I have put at various times a straight edge across the horizon at sea - at all times the horizon has matched perfectly to the straight edge.

Is my straight edge straight,I have not checked.

As for being rude - not in any way. Reborn is one of the few posters on here that have that rare thing - an open mind. I was just asking him for more of direct response that is all.

In the link from Wikipedia I posted - it mentions you can actually see Wick from Buckie - impossible of course on a ball.

Someone calculated you should see some of the hills if you factor in refraction.

Refraction meaning a mirage. Yes,the only way you should be able to see Wick and its hills beyond from Buckie were the earth a ball - would be if what you're seeing is a mirage - correct.

Just like with the Chicago skyline when viewed the 60 miles across the lake. The official reason you can see it - it's a bending of light,a mirage in other words.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 64  Next