OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 11:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I had a revelation recently. A year ago or so, I used to play slow spinny forehand topspin on the 3rd ball against push most of the time simply because I was too slow to get to the ball at the top of the bounce. But then my anticipation improved and I started to move faster, so I started to hit the ball earlier and straighter. And some people are really good at blocking those back. They just casually get their racket (I don't know how) into the ball's way and gets back in an awkward position. I got so sick of it, so recently I forced myself to spin up the falling ball even though I was in position to hit it straight, and then lo and behold, my opponent missed 80% of the blocks. I know that LTT46 is all about this, but it was so funny to realize that improving my skills messed up my tactics.

Spinning the first loop slow and heavy works well at all levels. The lower your opponent's rating is, the more effective the shot is. Besides serving, I'd say it's the number one way to win points, as per LTT46.

Think about what happens when your loop hits the net and then goes over. Your opponent blocks the ball 2 feet off the end of the table, even though there is technically less topspin left on the ball. The only thing that has changed is the speed of the loop slowed down and perhaps went a little higher.

Even if you have a good chance to play a fast 3rd ball, I'd still be spinning it up and making the opponent miss off the end of the table. Watch LTT93 and LTT99 and learn to spin the ball heavy without speed. Watch your opponents use poor reaching technique and block out. I'll make this the theme in PTTP07 or 08.

I'm concurrently working on 20 or so new videos. I'll be releasing at least one per week for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 12:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PTTP02 is now available on ttEDGE.com

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 12:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Yes, that makes sense. One thing I don't know is how to keep the slow spinny loop low over net, too often it bounces high on the other side.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 13:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Yes, that makes sense. One thing I don't know is how to keep the slow spinny loop low over net, too often it bounces high on the other side.

Providing the ball has lots of spin, the high ones are the hardest to block. Think about my example above when your loop hits the net and pops up. No one ever gets it on. I'm not saying to lob the loop, but I wouldn't be too worried about the height if you are getting loads of spin. Focus on the LTT93 spin part and get your neck facing the roof at the end of the backswing.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 13:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ok, I will try to film my slow spinny loop on Monday as I will play in a hall where no one cares if I film or not. My concern about keeping low is that eventually I will face people who will try to counterloop those.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 17:01 

just signed up again to ttedge after a long hiatus. really enjoying the playing table tennis points series brett. i am sure it must be difficult to find inspiration to keep subscribers happy - great job with this new series. it's a shame tt commentators don't do this more at tournaments: in-depth analises of points. something which happens much more in other sports. probably because of the time constraints between points; and between games adverts have to be shown.

also enjoying the body mechanics videos. i recently had some high-ish level training in the UK whilst visiting for a week and it was all about the body. as an adult learner, it's tricky to get that groove!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 23:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tyler45 wrote:
just signed up again to ttedge after a long hiatus. really enjoying the playing table tennis points series brett. i am sure it must be difficult to find inspiration to keep subscribers happy - great job with this new series. it's a shame tt commentators don't do this more at tournaments: in-depth analises of points. something which happens much more in other sports. probably because of the time constraints between points; and between games adverts have to be shown.

also enjoying the body mechanics videos. i recently had some high-ish level training in the UK whilst visiting for a week and it was all about the body. as an adult learner, it's tricky to get that groove!

Welcome back Tyler!

It has been a pretty big mistake not delivering PTTP earlier. Members have been asking for tactical content for a long time and I haven't been intelligent enough to make it happen. Some time ago, I asked Ben (from the Drilling Table Tennis Series) to write a PTTP type series from scratch and he struggled to get his head around it. I stepped in and had similar problems and eventually I threw our work in the trash. There are so many variables in a point and I determined that it wasn't possible to encompass everything in an online video series.

On top of the inability to gain traction in writing the series, I was overestimating what the average club player understood about playing points. Members were genuinely searching for the most basic tactic content. BRS and NextLevel were on my case for a long time about this and they were right.

If anyone has ever tried to sit down and write original educational content, they'll be able to empathize with my situation. Writing content for ttEDGE videos is seriously challenging and time consuming. Fortunately, I'm in a position where I can write full-time atm and I feel that PTTP is the breakthrough I needed. Using real points to demonstrate a combination of technique and tactics is something I can do fairly easy. The first 10 videos are already scripted and I'm pleased with where things are at.

It's funny that you mentioned the ITTF matches. I offered the ITTF to do a PTTP type thing using footage of the world's best players. That's actually how I came to the realization that I can do it in a ttEDGE series and deliver something that members have been asking for.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 00:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ITTF actually did some point analysis, which looks very cool, hopefully there will be more

Last edited by Dr.Pivot on 05 Oct 2018, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 01:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
ITTF actually did some point analysis, which looks very cool, hopefully there will be more

The technology used looks fantastic. I watch both videos though and I'm not sure what the take-away is? When I go to the hall tonight, what am I meant to do with it?

The purpose of those videos may not be to teach you specifically. They may designed to help you to be a more informed spectator. There is definitively a place for that content too. Adam B also does a pretty good job of informing the public with commentary, imo.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 01:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

There is no clear punchline in the videos, but I do believe that this kind of content can be helpful for analyzing the game. The good thing about the videos, is that they 1) analyze the logic behind the shot selection 2) analyze the reasons why a player missed. So when you go the hall or even just watch the footage of your game, you can use this knowledge to reflect (and possibly adjust) on your own shot selection and why you missed a particular shot.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 08:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett your videos are just gold. Over and over again. I've not been keeping up with new content but have been working hard on the basics again.
Today I felt pretty good about my play and ready to improve.

I just watched LTT99 and I can't wait to try it. I have a small expectation that I'm doing the backspin ball well but the follow up block has been a problem for me.

I've decided that going down the line is a strong option after going cross court on the opener and I think LTT99 will be excellent at helping me do this.

Also fastmover: agreed on the spin/speed and getting blocked. My backhand has no such issue. I spin that thing so hard that I almost always am catching the block but the forehand continues to go on to the table. More spin, less speed and shorter on the table does seem like a critical variation.

Edit: STOP IT. 101 is all about how I've decided to move towards the middle of the table more so my lack of fitness/speed isn't exploited as much and my backhand gets used a bit more since it seems to be my better stroke.

One thing about the down/backhand side bend is that it feels pretty natural since you are going to be reaching some and it's a good way to get your body into it.

Stop reading my mind.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 09:19 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Yes Brett does read you mind. I was working on adding a bit of hip rotation on my backhand and out pops a video about this exact topic. I did notice that adding a bit of rotation allows me to do a shorter more explosive backhand.
I have seen several members post about grip pressure. It seems they recommend to tighten the grip on the point of ball contact. They suggest to do this on serves too. What would be Bretts take on this?? Would this interfere with the relaxation or whip process??
I am waiting for some videos on playing against pimps and anti spin? I know the general theory but still get beaten by lower ranked players. Rather frustrating to say the least. :envy:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 11:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Yes Brett does read you mind. I was working on adding a bit of hip rotation on my backhand and out pops a video about this exact topic. I did notice that adding a bit of rotation allows me to do a shorter more explosive backhand.
I have seen several members post about grip pressure. It seems they recommend to tighten the grip on the point of ball contact. They suggest to do this on serves too. What would be Bretts take on this?? Would this interfere with the relaxation or whip process??
I am waiting for some videos on playing against pimps and anti spin? I know the general theory but still get beaten by lower ranked players. Rather frustrating to say the least. :envy:

Maurice, I think you are going to like the video I'll be releasing on Sunday. It's LTT102 and it's my answer to your backswing question in this thread. It's in my top 10 favorite ttEDGE videos. I showed an early version to Heming and the current Aus U21 Champion to let them obsess over it. Showing more advanced technical videos to elite players is almost cruel because they are highly obsessive people who overthink new ideas.

I think LTT41 is my answer to your question about tightening the fingers.

Playing against 'funny' rubber can be frustrating. It's actually designed to mess you up by changing the speed and spin of the ball when compared to regular rubber. The biggest factor by far is exposure. Try to grab someone from the club who uses that stuff and play them 30 sets. I'll put it on the list, but I'm not really in position to make good content on funny rubber in the near future.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 11:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett your videos are just gold. Over and over again. I've not been keeping up with new content but have been working hard on the basics again.
Today I felt pretty good about my play and ready to improve.

I just watched LTT99 and I can't wait to try it. I have a small expectation that I'm doing the backspin ball well but the follow up block has been a problem for me.

I've decided that going down the line is a strong option after going cross court on the opener and I think LTT99 will be excellent at helping me do this.

Also fastmover: agreed on the spin/speed and getting blocked. My backhand has no such issue. I spin that thing so hard that I almost always am catching the block but the forehand continues to go on to the table. More spin, less speed and shorter on the table does seem like a critical variation.

Edit: STOP IT. 101 is all about how I've decided to move towards the middle of the table more so my lack of fitness/speed isn't exploited as much and my backhand gets used a bit more since it seems to be my better stroke.

One thing about the down/backhand side bend is that it feels pretty natural since you are going to be reaching some and it's a good way to get your body into it.

Stop reading my mind.

Thanks Russ!

PTTP04 will be about going down the line on the forehand, so perhaps you are reading my mind?

I have been going around to clubs in different places and teaching a lot of LTT99. Trying to loop the first ball with a straight vertical back is perhaps the world's most common mistake. When you walk around the training hall at a big international event, everyone is doing LTT99 or LTT93 (same thing) on the first ball. When you walk around a regular club, very few players are doing it. Learning adults almost never work it out by themselves. Then if someone does play well off backspin, they tend to use the same movement against block and lift the ball too much.

If your backhand is stronger than your forehand, adding some twist is definitely an option when the ball is past the left hip. It's not for everyone, but you are probably the right type of player because you like your backhand.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2018, 11:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT102 is now available on ttEDGE.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 568  Next