OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2018, 11:13 

I just had a couple of sessions with Defcon with Spinlord BS on it. For the past few years I played with Fibercomp/GD Talon. I like Fibercomp a lot but with the new ball the blocks often go over the table. Defcon has definitely solved this problem! Blocks are very low, short and controllable. The blade is large, almost like the Shake Defense, but much lighter and slower. I think, the core is kiri (definitely not balsa), and Carbon gives it additional stiffness and stability. My partner, a 2200+ looper, swears this is the nastiest setup I’ve had in years. EVERYTHING was going back on the table. I think I’ll stick around with it for a time being.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 01:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
i have an old style defcon defence-its very nice with antispin and s/p-my defplay beats it just but i may go back to it as it blocks better with my antispin-ball does seem to go back low off the block

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 16:35 
Super User

nachalnik wrote:
I think, the core is kiri (definitely not balsa), and Carbon gives it additional stiffness and stability.

The blade looks interesting to me. So, I did a bit of fact-finding, and it seems that is made-up of Ayous veneers... The center/core is sandwiched between 2 layers of some sort of Carbon....

Can someone, who's actually played with both, tell me how it compares to the Donic Defplay Senso V3... ?

From the pics, it's looks to me, like the handle is on the shorter side .... ?

How stiff (or flexi) is the blade ?

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2018, 15:23 
Super User

errmmm.... anyone ?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 01:17 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
A clubmate uses Andro Defcon with D'Tecs OX, I am alternating between Defplay and Powerdefense (currently Defplay) with sponged LP. Next time I see him I will change rackets with him and try to answer your questions. OK?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 03:08 
Super User

0x556c69 wrote:
A clubmate uses Andro Defcon with D'Tecs OX, I am alternating between Defplay and Powerdefense (currently Defplay) with sponged LP. Next time I see him I will change rackets with him and try to answer your questions. OK?

sure... thanks

Also, I read, in your signature that you use a Defplay V3 + CK531A setup....

I'm already playing with a Defplay V3, and have been mulling about how the CK531A would play on it...

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 11:41 

I played with defplay some years ago. Didn’t like it but I don’t remember exactly why. Every time I find something new I tend to revert back to either Andro Fibercomp or Nittaku Shake Defense. I’ll stick with Defcon for a while as it feels like a lighter, more controllable version of NSD. Also, I like the shorter handle as it’s much easier on my wrist when I serve using a lot of wrist movement.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 01:05 

ootbs wrote:
I'm already playing with a Defplay V3, and have been mulling about how the CK531A would play on it...

CK531A doesn't play that much different compared to other LP (if you take out Curl P4 and Feint III, sponged LP are quite interchangeable in my opinion - those two are different indeed). It's on the blade, because the topsheet of my old D'Tecs began to detach itself from the sponge and I had no spare.

My impression (compared to D'Tecs)
- a little bit slower
- very consistent chop, surprisingly spinny, throw a little bit higher than D'Tecs (mind: always do a full chop!)
- chop-blocks easier to control on slow balls, more difficult on fast ones
- push less consistent (I think because of the thinner sponge)
- "bump" much easier to execute
- receive quite similar, both are very insensitive to incoming spin.

Paired with a not so fast grippy inverted rubber this is a good setup for modern defense, very safe, perhaps a little bit predictable, almost no deception. All in all, no difference in results for me.

Last edited by 0x556c69 on 12 Nov 2018, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 06:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Ootbs,on Defplay ck531a ox yellow packet is faster than 388d-1 ox(I think you tried this?)with less control,I didn't see any more effects if anything the Dawei lp was more dangerous imo

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 17:43 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
Ootbs,on Defplay ck531a ox yellow packet is faster than 388d-1 ox(I think you tried this?)with less control,I didn't see any more effects if anything the Dawei lp was more dangerous imo

Yes... I'm still using the Defplay V3 + 388D-1 OX + XVE combo, as my primary setup... Passive blocks (BH LP side) are fine, as in, I can put the ball back on the table (against moderate flat or topspin attack).. However, the blocked balls are high enough and lacking depth and/or reversal, that they can be killed-off...

Another issue, is over the table pushing, especially against moderate/heavy backspin .... My returns (no matter what I do) lack spin and/or depth...

I play a mixed-style with my LP - Against some players, I tend to play away (mid-distance) from the table, defender style. But, against some players, I tend to play more @ the table, push/block (passively) style...At times, I will play both styles in the same game...

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 21:32 

Yesterday after our team encounter I grabbed the racket of my buddy and made some strokes. He uses Evolution FX-S 1,8 and D'Tecs OX on a Andro Defcon.

The ST handle is quite thick, a little bit like the ones of Nittaku Shake Defence or Tibhar Stratus Powerdefense. Twiddling was very easy to do. The blade is clearly oversized, easily as large as Defplay.

Compared to my Defplay, his blade was much slower but noticeably stiffer at the same time. LP blocks seemed very easy, deception with Grass D'Tecs OX high. Forehand felt a little bit mushy with a slight lack of penetration on flat hits. Loops went reasonably well. Considering I use unboosted commercial H3, no Neo no nothing, this speaks for the blade.

Overall a very controlled blade very much suited to LP game near the table. Note: this style is not my preferred way of playing.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 17:13 
Super User

0x556c69 wrote:
Yesterday after our team encounter I grabbed the racket of my buddy and made some strokes. He uses Evolution FX-S 1,8 and D'Tecs OX on a Andro Defcon.

The ST handle is quite thick, a little bit like the ones of Nittaku Shake Defence or Tibhar Stratus Powerdefense. Twiddling was very easy to do. The blade is clearly oversized, easily as large as Defplay.

Compared to my Defplay, his blade was much slower but noticeably stiffer at the same time. LP blocks seemed very easy, deception with Grass D'Tecs OX high. Forehand felt a little bit mushy with a slight lack of penetration on flat hits. Loops went reasonably well. Considering I use unboosted commercial H3, no Neo no nothing, this speaks for the blade.

Overall a very controlled blade very much suited to LP game near the table. Note: this style is not my preferred way of playing.

Thanks for the input...

The Defplay did me real good, when I just switched to LP... However, now, it's seems a tad too flexi for me, which, I feel, makes the ball linger-on, on the blade, a bit too much for me, especially while pushing/chopping on the table... I want to continue using the Defplay, but, I'm wondering if the Defplay + Grippy OX + Soft FH is a good combo for me...

I'm thinking of using a Stiffer/faster blade + Less Grippy LP (dunno whether I should use OX or very thin sponge) + Light, Softísh, medium-speed inverted on FH, against players who give me a lot of backspin, and where I have to play close to the table in a sort-of push/block style... AND using the Defplay + Grippyísh LP (here's I'm thinking of using a thicker sponge .08 - 1.1mm???) + Light, Hardísh, faster, inverted on FH, where I have to plays against loopers, and have to chop from a little away from the table...