OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 08:26 

Is it illegal to touch the table with your racket?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 08:55 

Nafiz wrote:
Is it illegal to touch the table with your racket?

No.
Only the free hand ( non-racket hand) is not alone to touch the table.
Moving the table is also not allowed.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 09:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I thought I might 'resurrect' this section, as it's got a lot of good Q&A, and I'm sure there's a lot of questions/situations that's not been covered. We've also got a several official umpires here on the forum, who can help answer the more tricky questions. ;)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 09:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

metal monkey wrote:
Here's something I've found on youtube...

The ball does not leave his racket and he walks over to the otherside of the table and places it gently :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great skills, but if you were playing him and somehow this situation happened will you call foul play???

I just found this classic video again. Legal or not? :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 11:28 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
haggisv wrote:
metal monkey wrote:
Here's something I've found on youtube...

The ball does not leave his racket and he walks over to the otherside of the table and places it gently :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great skills, but if you were playing him and somehow this situation happened will you call foul play???

I just this video again. Legal or not? :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Double hit is a legal opponent point, but,

Suppose there are super tacky rubber that the ball refuse to bounce, well,

Would be a legal stroke, until ITTF hold a special meetup to decide on maximum dwell time. :P

Still, this tactic would be useless for small problem,

Opponent can just swat the ball including the perpetrator blade, and get the legal point. :P

[Obstruction of opponent stroke is opponent point]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 13:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think he's "hitting" the ball with bare wood, which is illegal.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 09:47 

Blade: BTY Gergely
FH: Rasanter 47
BH: Fastarc G-1
2 questions:
1) I was in a comp where the tables are next to each other with no barriers. During a hit (simultaneously after the hit), my opponent bumped the player on the other table and turned around (not facing our table). This was all happening right in front of me. I didn't make proper contact with the ball because I assumed a let. If I hit the ball in, the opponent wouldn't have had a chance to return the ball (like an automatic point for me). The umpire was sitting on the side where the players bumped and said he didn't see as he was following the ball. He also said that the bump didn't affect the shot. It didn't affect his shot but everything in my view caused an interruption/disruption or whatever you call it (almost like a player crossing at the back or another ball in our field of play).

Is it a let?

2) Also, in social comps where a lot of players don't follow the new serve rules. How do you enforce it? I normally see the quick (top spin) serve (very low toss) or very spinny serves (low toss again). These players have been playing for a long time. It's difficult for them to change to open hand toss with the height of the net. You can immediately see this when they toss the ball higher, they miss their serve.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 10:53 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
jazzcomp wrote:
Quote:
1) I was in a comp where the tables are next to each other with no barriers. During a hit (simultaneously after the hit), my opponent bumped the player on the other table and turned around (not facing our table). This was all happening right in front of me. I didn't make proper contact with the ball because I assumed a let. If I hit the ball in, the opponent wouldn't have had a chance to return the ball (like an automatic point for me). The umpire was sitting on the side where the players bumped and said he didn't see as he was following the ball. He also said that the bump didn't affect the shot. It didn't affect his shot but everything in my view caused an interruption/disruption or whatever you call it (almost like a player crossing at the back or another ball in our field of play).

Is it a let?

It is not a let until the umpire says it is a let. Were you watching the ball at all? You should have just returned the ball on the table and raised your hand to request a let and played till either a let was given or the point was reserved. Most umpires will give a let in this circumstance, I would have thought, but you need to have made a good return.

jazzcomp wrote:
Quote:
2) Also, in social comps where a lot of players don't follow the new serve rules. How do you enforce it? I normally see the quick (top spin) serve (very low toss) or very spinny serves (low toss again). These players have been playing for a long time. It's difficult for them to change to open hand toss with the height of the net. You can immediately see this when they toss the ball higher, they miss their serve.

This has been the bane of my existence as an umpire where I play in a pennants competition, and the teams alternate in providing an "umpire". I used to play in a team that consisted of myself being a state or provincial level umpire, an international referee and the secretary of the state or provincial TT body. All 3 of us knew exactly the requirements of a good serve, but woe and betide us if we even warned our opposition about their serving. I personally wait until the end of the night and have a quiet word with such players and point out exactly what the problem is. I then often get told that others do worse etc as some sort of excuse. The things that I have pointed out:
    Starting the serve over the table (they then either bring the ball back behind the table before tossing, or throw the ball backwards so the ball is behind the table when actually struck)
    Not throwing the ball the requisite height (usually pimples players so they can either serve very short or surprise you)
    Not keeping the ball above the level of the table during the service action
    Not throwing the ball vertically up
    Not taking the free arm out of the way until the very last instant, which can lead to
    Hiding the ball or contact

Admittedly, some of these are technical, but they are the rules.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 11:59 

Retriever wrote:
It is not a let until the umpire says it is a let. Were you watching the ball at all? You should have just returned the ball on the table and raised your hand to request a let and played till either a let was given or the point was reserved. Most umpires will give a let in this circumstance, I would have thought, but you need to have made a good return.

Yes, I saw the ball. When another ball flies on my table/match (from the other table), do you need to hit a good shot before calling a let? The let should've been called before I hit the shot. Why do I need to hit a good shot first before calling a let? If my shot was in, it's my point. :D Is the opponent required to return my shot, before a let is called? Why would it be a called after a good shot? I thought the let should've been called because of the obstruction and it didn't matter if my shot was good or not. That's why I didn't try to hit a good shot.

I have been at points where the ball popped and as I was going to smash it in, another ball flew on/crossed the table which resulted in a let. The smash was good and the opponent had no chance to return it but it's still a let.

I do not see the point/requirement of hitting a good shot first before a let since it cancels the point.

The only thing I agree with is it's the umpires call. But the umpire can still be wrong in reality. :D

Retriever wrote:
This has been the bane of my existence as an umpire where I play in a pennants competition, and the teams alternate in providing an "umpire". I used to play in a team that consisted of myself being a state or provincial level umpire, an international referee and the secretary of the state or provincial TT body. All 3 of us knew exactly the requirements of a good serve, but woe and betide us if we even warned our opposition about their serving. I personally wait until the end of the night and have a quiet word with such players and point out exactly what the problem is. I then often get told that others do worse etc as some sort of excuse. The things that I have pointed out:
    Starting the serve over the table (they then either bring the ball back behind the table before tossing, or throw the ball backwards so the ball is behind the table when actually struck)
    Not throwing the ball the requisite height (usually pimples players so they can either serve very short or surprise you)
    Not keeping the ball above the level of the table during the service action
    Not throwing the ball vertically up
    Not taking the free arm out of the way until the very last instant, which can lead to
    Hiding the ball or contact

Admittedly, some of these are technical, but they are the rules.
Thanks!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 12:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

jazzcomp wrote:
The only thing I agree with is it's the umpires call. But the umpire can still be wrong in reality. :D

That is the point though... it's the umpire's decision. It does not matter if the umpire is wrong, did not see it, feels that the incident happened after the ball could have been hit, or just sees things differently to you... it's their call to decide if it's a let or not. You should try and make the next shot just in case the umpire decides it's not a let. Umpires will makes mistakes at times, and we all need to accept this as part of the game, even if we're 100% sure the umpire is wrong.

In reality almost all umpire would give you let if there was any doubt though, especially if your opponent also agrees it should have been a let.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 14:37 

haggisv wrote:
jazzcomp wrote:

That is the point though... it's the umpire's decision. It does not matter if the umpire is wrong, did not see it, feels that the incident happened after the ball could have been hit, or just sees things differently to you... it's their call to decide if it's a let or not. You should try and make the next shot just in case the umpire decides it's not a let. Umpires will makes mistakes at times, and we all need to accept this as part of the game, even if we're 100% sure the umpire is wrong.

In reality almost all umpire would give you let if there was any doubt though, especially if your opponent also agrees it should have been a let.

Not all opponents will call a let or something that is not on their favor especially in a tight game.

As per my original/modified question, is it or should it be a let?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 15:29 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
jazzcomp wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, my original point (hah) stands. It is a let if the umpire calls it a let. That is why you continue playing until then. If you stop the point by not playing a shot, catching the ball or whatever, YOU have decided it is a let, not the umpire. Your job is to play your shots, not adjudicate lets. That is part of the umpire's job. Having said that, a reasonable umpire should have seen that play was being disrupted by something outside of you and your opponent, and given the let.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 08:11 

Retriever wrote:
jazzcomp wrote:
Quote:

Having said that, a reasonable umpire should have seen that play was being disrupted by something outside of you and your opponent, and given the let.

Thanks! That's what I thought. The umpire is a player too. :D

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 08:15 

In doubles, how can an umpire call correctly a wrong side serve when he cannot see if the ball landed on the line or not?

This is almost always a point of argument when the server says it's in and both opponents says it's not.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 10:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

jazzcomp wrote:
In doubles, how can an umpire call correctly a wrong side serve when he cannot see if the ball landed on the line or not?

This is almost always a point of argument when the server says it's in and both opponents says it's not.

Once again it's a judgement call by the umpire...play the ball regardless, even if you're sure it's on the wrong side, because it's the umpire's call, not yours. Everyone will just have to accept that some calls will be incorrect, but this averages out over time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next