OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 03:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 09:28 

I was playing with some guys the other day, and he hit the ball with a peculiar return. It was neither the backhand or the forehand. He brought the paddle flat up along the middle of his body, and it was as fast as a smash. What is this move called? I want to learn it. I believe it is named after a popular table tennis player.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 12:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Umm.. do you seriously expect anyone to know what you're talking about without maybe a video or a better description? :lol: And what would "this move" have to do with ITTF (or USATT or ETTA...) :lol: This part of the forum is reserved for discussing such stuff as why the ITTF is incompetent, or why the plastic ball sucks.

What I find interesting is that you've managed to find out that it's "named after a popular table tennis player" but you didn't find out what this name was.. :lol: Maybe it's "The Szocs"? I think she's popular enough. Or "The Manika". Maybe if you could get this player to demonstrate it again, and take a video with your phone and post it on YouTube...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 00:22 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I'm thinking you might be talking about a Seemiller player. The Grip is called a seemiller grip, but there are many variations of it. They all use the same side of the paddle for most of their shots, both on the backhand and forehand side. The stroke itself has no name...it's still called a smash. But there is a real fast wristy drive you can do which you may be calling a smash (smashes are flat hits). The tip is pointed more towards the backhand, but the contact point is in front of the body...let me see if I can find a pic.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 00:34 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Here is the more traditional grip where the index is wrapped around the side. Imagine him flicking with great velocity from this position...is that what you are talking about?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 02:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I was thinking it might've been a chicken wing under-the-armpit backhand, myself... but as I said, we'd need a video.. :lol: There was a kid at the Chiang Mai club who was hitting these pretty hard, and it would surprise the heck out of me.

Iskandar