OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 13:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
It is about looping sidespin. Even if I know the spin, I fail miserably. I will email you a video soon.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 13:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
If you are anticipating long serves well, which means to pick up the cues from the opponent's backswing and torso movement (consciously or subconsciously), you can almost walk around the corner and just loop the serve.

This is true, but I can never make it work. Against some opponents there are times when I am so sure the next serve is coming long and I really do walk around the corner as soon as the toss starts and just stand there waiting for it. But then I always mess up the loop.

Sometimes there is a physical tell, like with McC. And other times maybe people serve in patterns that you can pick up without consciously working it out.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 14:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Great to know that I am not alone lol.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 14:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover sent me the footage of his pivot return. The problem isn't anticipation. It's not even necessarily reading of the spin.

The problem is that his torso and arm often do something completely different. I've put it on the list for future videos, so you'll all get to see what I mean. It's something that happens with adult learners when they follow instructions. Eg. Turn your hips and finish over your head...or bend down and finish forward. Both of these instructions can lead to issues, even though they sound okay.

In LTT86, I give the instructions of left hip, right hip and then finish over the eyes. It's a good video but it could lead to errors depending what happens with your core muscles.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 05:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

When fading on the forehand, do you adjust your grip?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 05:20 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
When fading on the forehand, do you adjust your grip?

Usually you need to hit the left side of the ball which is easier when pointing your racket upward with your forehand so yes. At least for me, I tend to cock my wrist back.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 05:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I mean the placement of the fingers on the blade. I feel like I am doing something wrong, gotta film it.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 08:00 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
I mean the placement of the fingers on the blade. I feel like I am doing something wrong, gotta film it.

Show a video for sure.

The Seemiller grip exists. Ma Long switches grips from forehand and backhand as do Timo Boll and Dima. At a certain level, the most important thing is to do what works and do it faster and more efficiently as long as it is unlikely to hurt your long term game. As long as switching grips is not leaving you with the wrong grip to play the next shot (which is mostly an issue of anticipation and/or extreme switches) feel free to use another grip. I have played long enough that I probably have many grip switches that I don't notice anymore. I usually notice more when I am feeling uncomfortable to play s shot. It usually means my grip has fallen apart from playing one kind of shot too often.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 10:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

This is a shot I have now, and I don't change my grip at all. If you are doing something wrong I'd be surprised if grip was the thing.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 08:08 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Had a training session at club today.

Two biggest mistakes coaches pointed out was positioning too far from the table generally and taking the ball too late, also too much verticality in the stroke, not rotating to finish with proper weight transfer, both against backspin and topspin.

Best way to drill this? I feel both of these are things I have been doing poorly for quite a long time. I'm lifting the ball when there is nothing to lift very often and I think it's more from the same rotation/weight transfer problem than anything else. It also occurs on backhand. I think my backswing is dropping too much as a rule instead of back towards stomach.

Basic stuff but so hard to get right.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 09:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:

also too much verticality in the stroke

I've seen your videos and saw that too. I retract this part, I thought I saw some video but probably another player.

I think the key is to remember against top spin or block is that you don't want to bring the paddle below the table in general. Turn your torso side to side, not up and down. Finish in front of you and stay in the "goal keeper" stance.

Against backspin don't think I'll ever fault someone for imparting maximum spin on the ball but if you get better at block vs forehand the lower spin backspin balls will feel similar.

I'm still very much working on all of this myself as I had a bit of the same problem. I hit a block ball into the net today with really solid contact...I was almost proud because I hit it more direct.

Last edited by wilkinru on 17 Jan 2019, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 11:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
FruitLoop wrote:

also too much verticality in the stroke

I've seen your videos and saw that too. I think the key is to remember against top spin or block is that you don't want to bring the paddle below the table in general. Turn your torso side to side, not up and down. Finish in front of you and stay in the "goal keeper" stance.

Against backspin don't think I'll ever fault someone for imparting maximum spin on the ball but if you get better at block vs forehand the lower spin backspin balls will feel similar.

I'm still very much working on all of this myself as I had a bit of the same problem. I hit a block ball into the net today with really solid contact...I was almost proud because I hit it more direct.

Where is the video you are looking at?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 12:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Where is the video you are looking at?

Pretty sure it was a different member's video. I cannot find anything so I shall retract the video comment.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 12:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:

Two biggest mistakes coaches pointed out was positioning too far from the table generally and taking the ball too late, also too much verticality in the stroke, not rotating to finish with proper weight transfer, both against backspin and topspin.

Best way to drill this? I feel both of these are things I have been doing poorly for quite a long time. I'm lifting the ball when there is nothing to lift very often and I think it's more from the same rotation/weight transfer problem than anything else. It also occurs on backhand. I think my backswing is dropping too much as a rule instead of back towards stomach.

I need to see it, but I'm guessing on the forehand, you are bending at the waist too much rather than spinning your hip forward. This fits the symptoms you are describing.

For the backhand, I'm guessing that your arm structure is too long. It should look like a reverse letter C, not a letter L.

There is no such thing as transferring weight on the forehand, btw. Transferring weight does absolutely nothing to your arm. Stand up and put your arm out straight to the side. Now transfer you weight from the right leg to the left leg. You arm shouldn't have moved one inch if done as described. Now put your arm up again and rotate your hips and torso and watch your arm move.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 12:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

There is no such thing as transferring weight on the forehand, btw. Transferring weight does absolutely nothing to your arm. Stand up and put your arm out straight to the side. Now transfer you weight from the right leg to the left leg. You arm shouldn't have moved one inch if done as described. Now put your arm up again and rotate your hips and torso and watch your arm move.

This is why it's so hard to listen to other people's advice. Even very good players. Ugh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282 ... 568  Next