OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2018, 17:54 

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
This whole thing is quite strange for me. How do you know when rubber is bottomin out? I mean how does your racket behave?
Is that good or bad thing? if you have 1,5mm medium pimple with 38-40 gegrees sponge in what kind of stores will it bottom out?(Hitting, blocking)

Thanks

Soba

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 01:31 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
What it generally means is that the thinner sponge is reducing the depth of sink of a ball but not necessarily actually hitting the wood i.e for the speed of impact a thicker sponge would have allowed more ball penetration and thus more dwell, spin and arc.

Also the effect/feel of bottoming out will depend on the blade i.e how stiff or hard it is. Generally Bottoming out or reduced sponge penetration is a negative with inverted rubbers except for choppers/ hitters but not necessarily with pimples where it can reduce the effect of spin and thus make it easier to attack through spin which is probably why you have OX and very thin sponge pimple out rubbers but not inverted.

Generally with soft sponge pimple out rubbers as the pimples do not usually create a lot of spin the sponge becomes an important factor in how much spin can be created. A good example being TSP Spectol which can create a lot more spin on chops in 1.8mm than 1.2mm.

I would think that with a 1.5mm soft sponge medium pimple you will notice a more direct feel with less dwell and spin/ wobble compared to say 1.8mm but which is better would be a personal preference and depend on the blade as well as your style. That is my experience in using Keiler and Waran in a range of thicknesses from 1.2 up to 2mm.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 17:53 

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
ChasFox wrote:
What it generally means is that the thinner sponge is reducing the depth of sink of a ball but not necessarily actually hitting the wood i.e for the speed of impact a thicker sponge would have allowed more ball penetration and thus more dwell, spin and arc.

Also the effect/feel of bottoming out will depend on the blade i.e how stiff or hard it is. Generally Bottoming out or reduced sponge penetration is a negative with inverted rubbers except for choppers/ hitters but not necessarily with pimples where it can reduce the effect of spin and thus make it easier to attack through spin which is probably why you have OX and very thin sponge pimple out rubbers but not inverted.

Generally with soft sponge pimple out rubbers as the pimples do not usually create a lot of spin the sponge becomes an important factor in how much spin can be created. A good example being TSP Spectol which can create a lot more spin on chops in 1.8mm than 1.2mm.

I would think that with a 1.5mm soft sponge medium pimple you will notice a more direct feel with less dwell and spin/ wobble compared to say 1.8mm but which is better would be a personal preference and depend on the blade as well as your style. That is my experience in using Keiler and Waran in a range of thicknesses from 1.2 up to 2mm.

Thank you for your reply. I have now played Keiler 1,5 and 1,8 in Bfly Mazunov blade. I really dont know which one I should use because both have good and bad things. 1.5 have little more that deception but with 1,8 im better opening from backspin and attacking.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 03:36 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
Soba wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I have now played Keiler 1,5 and 1,8 in Bfly Mazunov blade. I really dont know which one I should use because both have good and bad things. 1.5 have little more that deception but with 1,8 im better opening from backspin and attacking.

Yes, that is the trade you make between 1.5 and 1.8 with Keiler. That's exactly how I felt with the sheets I had from 2015-2016 in the 2 different sponge thicknesses.

With my new sheets, I wound up using the 1.8, since the 1.5 I have the sponge plays like an unboosted Chinese hard sponge. You can actually see the difference between the 2 sheets, the 1.5 lays flat, while the 1.8 has some curl (tension).

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 18:49 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Soba wrote:
ChasFox wrote:

Depends on your preference toward more offensive or defensive play. When I'm in the mood for more defensive play, I use thinner sponge (0.8-1.0), otherwise I use the 1.5 sponge. I'm not offensive oriented enough to use 1.8 sponge.

Instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 21:57 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
largely, a lot of that deception you speak of is due to thinner sponge and more blade involvement... or "bottoming out." The more sponge, the less the ball reaches the blade, and the more the pips are able to grip the ball, hence less deception (or reversal). But it's very nuanced beyond that description.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!