OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 10:53 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Hot and humid last night as mentioned in the temperature thread in the lounge.

First up I played IM and was missing lots in the warm up. We played the best of 3 and I think I may have gotten a maximum of 5 in each game. Interestingly I have missed a few backhand blocks where I think I have the correct angle but the ball has just gone to the table. I'm not sure whether it is the new rubber or the humidity affecting things.

Next was EC. Was down 1-2 and we played a fourth but he won that for 1-3.

Then was J? who has never gotten a game off me. Well this time he got to deuce in the second one. I think I won 14-12 in the end, then something like 11-3 in the third. Phew!

As it was so hot and I was missing quite a few, I left it at that.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 10:50 

At the club again. Temperature falling just as I enter, so it is still hot inside.

First up i played P?, a relatively new player to the club. We had the luxury of an extended warm up, but it was mostly his forehand (RH) to my backhand (LH). To be fair, we did do more than a desultory few for the latter. When we did play a match it was 3-0 to me as, of course, I play nothing like I warm up :)

Next was MD, his first & my second knock. He is still marveling at my new forehand rubber which he has not gotten used to returning when I hit with it. Still made no difference - 0-3 to him, although the game scores were not embarrassing for me.

After that was a hit with an oriental looking lady, first time to the club and a relative beginner to boot. After a couple of shots I changed hands every shot. Showing off, I know (my wife thinks it is demeaning to the opposition, but ...). I then progressed to lobbing while still changing hands every shot.

Then was a doubles with MD & PU vs myself & M?. We played the best of 5 with M? & I winning 3-2.

I also tried to drum up some interest in attending the local association AGM tonight, but it is a bit of an ask, given that it starts at 6:30pm, and there were only 4 of us that were eligible to attend (MD, PU, myself & IF). PU may well go.

Also tomorrow sees the restart of the community centre Saturday afternoon sessions. We'll see how that goes. At least it won't be as hot then I hope.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 10:50 

First time back in the community centre for the year on Saturday afternoon. Decided to only put up 3 tables in the old configuration. Had a couple of people turn up who had been on the bus and seen our sign on the main road and got off at the next stop and walked back, a father and son. They seemed to enjoy themselves. Ended up that we took enough to cover the rent.

Played at the club last night. First up was M?, who can forehand loop pretty well. We had an extended warm up, then played. I won the first 2 games then he got the third.

Next I hit with T?, a relative beginner who had previously played tennis. I gave him some grip, footwork and timing tips while hitting. Interestingly his back hands were tending to almost all go cross court, while he was able to direct his forehands either down the line or cross court. (I usually come across beginners who put the ball closer and closer to the right hand side of my side of the table from their forehand, usually due to footwork issues). I diagnosed that he was hitting his back hands too far in front of his body, so told him to wait until they were closer to him to make contact.

After this I played MD. He won the 1st game 8-11, then the next 2 games I had game points but lost both of them :(

Lastly I played with PU. I won the 1st game comfortably, then he got the 2nd game but then I ran away with the 3rd.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 10:40 

First up I played J?. We had a slightly longer than usual hit up period, then played. 3-0.

Next was MD. 2 games went to deuce, but no luck - 0-3.

IF was next and he got the first one, me the 2nd then he got the 3rd, so 1-2. He had new forehand rubber, still Grip S though.

Then J? (different one, a beginner). We just hit for a while, me doing my left hand right hand alternating for a while, then a bit of right hand only capped off by going back to left hand. I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous!

Lastly a doubles, IF & me vs MD & PU. Last time we played IF & I won. This time we got to 1-1 then lost the next 2 games and finished.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 10:43 

Slow start at the community centre on Saturday afternoon, but it eventually picked up. Had a guy turn up who is moving up from Victoria - here on a flying visit, but he could not resist having a hit with a borrowed bat in civvies. Interestingly he is an older player who is transitioning to pen hold from shake hand. Of course the borrowed bat was shake hand. Also a lady who had been to the PCYC and heard od the CC.

At the club last night, started with CJ with a good warm up. 3-0 to me. Next was J? a pen hold younger player. After that was AF who had been OS on holidays and hadn't played since before Christmas. 2-1 to me. Last singles of the night was with MD. First game was 5-11. 2nd game went to deuce but I ultimately lost something like 14-16 :(. 3rd game I think also went to deuce but I lost that too, so another 0-3. Then we had a doubles with AF & I vs MD & PU. I think we won 2-1.

I am still finding my feet (hah!) with the new rubber. One thing that has stood out is that the T05H on the forehand seems to hit well for me as MD would attest, not that I use it all that often.

My estranged son played in a tournament on the weekend, not doing so well in singles but coming runner up in one of the doubles events.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 10:41 

Last Thursday night played OK, but mostly forgettable, hence no report last week :)

On Saturday afternoon at the community centre had a more consistent turnout - but still only needed 3 tables.

Have my name down as a reserve in Veterans but was not needed on Sunday. Maybe next month.

Last night played CJ first up with the usual result of 3-0. I think one of the games blew out to 9-1 at one stage.

Then had a hit with T?, giving him pointers and stressing his backhand - forehand transition.

Next was K? who I thought was a short pimples - long pimples combination player who I beat 3-0. Afterwards I found that the forehand, which I thought was short pimples was actually T64!

After this was JC, his first hit for the year, and I squeaked it in 2-1.

Last was AF in his 2nd hit for the year. I won the first, he got the 2nd and 3rd. Back spin doesn't seem to worry him too much. We compared notes about CJ. He lost to CJ quite easily while I had beaten him easily. Styles.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 10:40 

Thursday night I started off with a dose of doubles followed by my usual loss against MD 0-3 (the first went to deuce).

Next was IM who was missing a few 3-0.

After that IF who I beat 3-0 which was revenge for the last encounter where I had lost 1-2.

Last was IM again. I am not sure how we swung that as we had 20 people for 5 tables, but anyway. 0-3 loss this time.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 10:59 

A week already and my weak excuse for no updates is that I have been out every night so far with one thing or another. Monday night at the TT club, Tuesday night at the TT association committee meeting, Wednesday night non-TT (yes, gentle reader, there is life outside of TT), last night at the TT club again.

Saturday afternoon at the community centre there was the possibility of a couple of extras - neither appeared. We still covered costs. This Saturday afternoon we have one of those fine purveyors of TT equipment setting up their mobile shop for our delight and delectation.

Monday night I lost to MD 0-3 again, lost to JC 0-3 I think again, and for the first time ever lost to CJ. It was 1-2. He was playing well and I was playing abysmally. We played a couple of doubles and that was the night.

Tuesday night's committee meeting was ostensibly to "slot teams in to the various divisions", however one of the clubs was still finalising its teams, so that did not get done. We supposedly have guidelines that as much as possible players play in their division according to their Ratings Central rating. When we were looking at a particular division that had an awkward number of teams nominated for it, and I asked if there were any teams consisting of all players under the cutoff for that division as a way of fixing it, we found that there were at least 2. As the entry forms were not circulated prior to the meeting it was difficult to gauge the strength or otherwise of the rest of the divisions. Oh well.

Thursday night at the TT club I played IM first up. At first I thought he was trying to beat me at my own game, or practicing pushing and retrieving or something. No, he has a torn pectoral muscle (self-diagnosed mind you) and couldn't play his normal aggressive game. 4-0 to me. Next was CJ and I prefaced it by saying it was for revenge. And indeed it was. 3-0 for me. A doubles or 2 later and I played IM again, for a result of 3-1 for me. I finished of with a hit with a lady of Asian descent, penhold hitter. I variously traded sharp off the bounce rallies, hit (her) v lob or fish (me) rallies and pushing with side spin rallies before going home.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 10:46 

Saturday afternoon at the community centre - the purveyor of fine TT products arrived when I did. I directed him to park around the corner and bring his stuff up a path, but after sussing things out he came back and set up outside the centre on one of the side streets while I set up thing inside. We had a small rollup, and everyone paid the mobile shop a visit at some stage. A guy from the club turned up (was going to come last Saturday) so he and I had a fairly good hit.

Monday night at the club and I played IM twice, both 2-1 to me. He seems to have pretty much gotten over the pec tear or is doing something about his forehands to make up for it. Lost to AF 1-2 at deuce in the 3rd. Also had a good doubles with IM & me against AF and PU. Also in the 1st 3 matches I played with 3 different brand balls, a Nittaku 1* 40+, DF 3* V40+, Rabo? 3* 40+. The 3rd felt heaviest and least spinny.

Competition starts next Monday night at home so we will see what we will see. Our team is MD, AF, PU, myself, IM, DZ and one other. Format is one round of home & away matches followed by an extended finals series.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 10:50 

Played at the club last night.

Started off against EC, the short pimples/ long pimples player. Lost the first by forgetting that long pimples serves can have significant top spin on them and consequently missing the end of the table a few times. Won the 2nd fairly easily. Won the 3rd in deuce, so an improvement on recent performances.

Then had a hit with Y?, lady in her 20s just starting her "serious" TT journey. Her father R? has been coming along for a couple of years and will be playing comp for the first time in our other team. Hopefully she will progress similarly.

Next was CJ. I beat him 3-0, however I was down 3-9 in the 2nd but came back to win it in deuce.

DZ & I, MD & PU had an enjoyable doubles match then I called it a night.

Player I forgot last post was JC. Oh well.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 10:51 

Saturday afternoon turn out was a little disappointing, did not cover costs. Had someone poke their nose in promising to return, but they didn't. Oh well.

Played the first comp round of the year last night, at home. Got to the venue early and helped set up. We did scissors, paper rock to see who was A, B or C. I ended up B which suited me.

First up I played TL who was 65 points above me according to Ratings Central (RC). I lost 0-3. It wasn't helped by him getting more than the occasional net or edge, often when I was level pegging with him.

AF played WL and lost on the other table.

AF and CJ played the first doubles and lost.

Next I played WL who was only 25 points above me according to RC. I won the first game, then he got the second. His long serves were very deceptive, and I was up too close to deal with them properly in the first 2 games. After taking half a step back I fared better with them. I took the next 2 games, with him visibly tiring and taking longer between points for 3-1.

CJ and I played the next doubles, and we were never in the hunt. We are both left handed and played to each others weaknesses it seemed. 0-3.

CJ and AF played the last 2 singles, both for 0-3.

AF & I played the last doubles. First game went to deuce, I think 14-16. Second game was something like 9-11, and the third one simply got away from us for another 0-3, but we felt very competitive nonetheless.

So the overall score for the night was 1-8, with yours truly getting the 1.

Must practice both doubles ... and rock, paper, scissors :) for next time.

I am turning into an RC rating points junkie. Some would argue that with nets and edges I have always been RC :). I managed to restrain myself from looking up my opponents' RC rating when I got home last night, and this morning when I got up, but have since relented as shown above. Another Oh well. I hope to have garnered a few RC points last night, but won't find out until the results are uploaded into RC.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 10:46 

Rained last night on the way to the club, then hailed in the 2nd half of the journey. Still hailing when I parked the car then it just rained very heavily. Why the weather report, you may well ask? After a while waiting for the downpour to stop, I thought, stuff it, so made a dash for the club. Part of the way there I felt a pain in the back of my left thigh. At the time, I hoped it was only a cramp, but it was not. I helped set up a table and had a hit with a lower grader. I mostly just stood there and swung. I then decided that enough was enough so stopped. I told my captain to count me out of our next comp match on Tuesday. I resolved to leave, but was delayed by more rain. Drove home and was delayed by 2 out of 3 lanes being shut down for a multi-car accident.

With the help of Dr Google earlier this morning I have self diagnosed a level 1 or 2 strain of the hamstring. I have already told a couple of people at work that I commemorated the start of the footy (Rugby League) season by doing my hammy.

As I type I have my leg up on a set of drawers, looking something like a drab and uncharismatic Elton John at the keyboard (or at least so I imagine).

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 10:47 

Went and ran the community centre Saturday afternoon, and got a lot of sympathy. One guy turned up in sandals, changed into shoes but left without the sandals. So last night, in lieu of actually playing at the club, via a mutual friend we arranged and carried out a clandestine TT rendezvous to hand over the footwear.

In honour of the title of this blog, he did so by Retrieving, not shopping for a new pair. Commence welcome to his old sandals.

Hamstring seems to be improving, but won't be playing this week at the club.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 10:43 

True to my word I stayed away from the club last week.

Ran the community centre on Saturday afternoon and had a very good turn out. I played a couple of doubles but gave up on some balls I would normally stretch out for.

Went to the club last night, but got there a little late. In some ways I didn't mind as I would not be tempted to say I could play in our comp team which was playing there. Played EC (LP + SP twiddler) and lost 0-3, but again was not trying to play 100%. Next was CJ (LH attacker). I won the 1st 2 comfortably, but lost the third so 2-1. Lastly I played with a lady who played at the PCYC when I was there a couple of months ago. We just hit around while I tried to also watch my team on the next table. I called it quits and watched one of their doubles (which they lost) and went home.

I may do some official umpiring on Sunday - my hat is in the ring for it. It will be interesting to see how the new coaching between points (well at least for me umpiring) at a junior tournament goes.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019, 10:51 

No blog entry last Friday, too busy with buying new black shoes (well I ended up with steel capped boots) for umpiring duties and taking delivery of a new 4WD ute, trading in our trusty but aging people mover. First early step for a sea change perhaps.

Thursday night I was still cautious of the "hammy", but still beat CK twice 3-0. I was competitive with JC but lost 1-2 I think.

Saturday afternoon I ran the community centre table tennis. We had a couple of new people who I did my party trick of alternating hands with every shot. They look like they will be back too hopefully. As it was the end of the month I tallied the takings, and for a relatively lean month we probably broke even.

Sunday I umpired in my new boots. I was a little rusty. Got the score wrong once in the first one, an U/13 girls doubles match, and also had problems keeping track of who was who. Later on it got better and I was in the groove. There was 3 of us for 23 tables, and when the referee wanted us to officiate with umpire and assistant on a table for those doing an Australian level tournament soon, a few eyebrows were raised.

Last night I had a reasonably full hit out. We played doubles first up, followed by me losing to AF 1-2. I later played MD and lost 0-3. Then I played P? who I saw off 3-0 though it took a comeback from being a bit down to win one of the games 11-9.

Thursday night coming up is an away match to a team of junior girls with IM, CJ & myself playing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next