OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Haha, so sad that Freitas is a leftie, because he often serves reverse and pivots afterwards. Is there any rightie who does that often? I need a role-model for LTT110.

I'm glad you asked. You can download the video and then open it in VLC. Then in VLC, go to Tools>Effects and Filters>Video Effects>Geometry and tick "Transform". Then select "Flip Horizontally" in the drop down. Now you can get behind Freitas playing right handed.

I follow Harimoto, Ma Long, FZD etc by flipping them to left handed. I normally then have to play against Xu Xin and Freitas because I want to play a right hander. When I was young and watched TT on TV/VHS, I used a mirror to flip Waldner etc. I would face away from the TV and watch in the mirror. I've been a genius for a long time. ;( ;( ;(

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
I wonder what my wife would think if I started watching TT matches with a racket in my hand and being involved. :lol:

Really get into it ziv. I'm suggesting that you go all the way and Cho hard with Harimoto. Show your wife that you aren't just messing around with this TT thing!

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:33 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:
I wonder what my wife would think if I started watching TT matches with a racket in my hand and being involved. :lol:

Really get into it ziv. I'm suggesting that you go all the way and Cho hard with Harimoto. Show your wife that you aren't just messing around with this TT thing!

Yeah, that would make TT much more serious in her eyes!

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:

Sure would. You might need that airbnb after all.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:46 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Sure would. You might need that airbnb after all.

Hopefully you guys will have a vacant couch - just in case.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 02:31 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
fastmover wrote:
Haha, so sad that Freitas is a leftie, because he often serves reverse and pivots afterwards. I watched a ton of his matches. Is there any rightie who does that often? I need a role-model for LTT110.

Both LJK and FZD sometimes but not often.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 02:53 

I had an interesting weekend in a team competition. Went 5-5 in matches but would be 8-2 or 9-1 if I played well. Frustrating but I know why I just need to implement/train a specific thing and it will make all the difference. I know this because of how I played one match in a certain way and it was my only good performance of the weekend. I played someone who won more than half their games and won 11-2, 11-3, 11-3. I lost to people he beat!

I am about to go have a curry and some beer though but I will ask later. It relates to quite a few recent LTT videos. It's like a long term training muscle memory mindset psychology thing...you know, like everything haha.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 03:16 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
For people who wonder how I look without bending my knees at all for the most part. Backing off the table is still a work in progress.

https://youtu.be/whivUPVxNXQ

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 04:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So much power on both sides. If I were you I'd play mid-distance almost with wheelchair tactics. Practice to always pound the ball at the opponent's elbow, and only go wide to end a point. That way you don't give them angles to exploit your mobility, even with you playing 6 feet back.

Sorry to talk about tactics, but I have nothing to contribute to NL's technique.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 04:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
FruitLoop wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Haha, so sad that Freitas is a leftie, because he often serves reverse and pivots afterwards. I watched a ton of his matches. Is there any rightie who does that often? I need a role-model for LTT110.

Both LJK and FZD sometimes but not often.

It seems that I should stick with Fang Bo.

One more question about the pivot. When pros go for an aggressive pivot, their right knee often goes down almost to the ground. What is this? See an example below at 1:15.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 05:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
BRS wrote:

Sorry to talk about tactics, but I have nothing to contribute to NL's technique.

Me neither. It is quite impressive that NL can get balls going to his wide FH and play good shots given his restrictions.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 05:11 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Thanks guys. This is a guy I play a lot by the way so forget the result, I could likely serve him very differently for a very different result.

For most points though, it is the serve into the middle that is the most annoying to deal with. A lot of May will be spent in defending the elbow competently.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 08:15 

Apologies, long rambling post cliff notes at bottom:

Ok so the thing I have realised is the master fault for me personally. All the little technical errors stem from the fact I don't stay both low and forward leaning. I end up stood up on my heels leaning back. I overlooping everything with a vertical stroke even counter top spinning a lot, all because of this core issue rather than any other technical one. I base this on watching my videos, asking others and observations of results. I thought returning serve was my weakest point but having paid for a coaching session doing only that I realised it was actually the master fault all along. Weight transfer, rotation, relaxed arm, all that stuff just happens when I don't do the master fault. It is actually the reason those things go wrong.

So team competition, playing badly all weekend, looping everything too high and long. Master fault. One match I decide to focus on one thing and one thing only, low and forward on balls of my feet. No other thoughts in my head. I asked my team mate to specifically count every single set how many times he saw me leaning back or standing up in a point. I won 11-2, 11-3, 11-3 and it was like I not only couldn't miss but the speed and spin was like 3 or 4 levels above my.average performance. I asked the team mate about it after each set. He said once, twice, four times I think. Almost all points I lost were due to master fault with a couple of exceptions and I even won a few points totally stood up.

Next match, I started first 6 or 7 points the same way but found myself down because I missed a few by millimetres and hit top of net and long etc. It all slowly went out the window and I forgot about my new thought process thing and lost 3-1.

Ok, so, future, I need to drill this so hard until it's totally automatic obviously. What is my best approach to this in matches and training? Obviously it worked great when it was all I thought about but that doesn't seem a long term solution. Basically I'm looking for technical and psychological advice on this front. It is astonishing the difference it makes, to the point I need to make it my literal only focus for the next while. Everything else pales in comparison. It's my table tennis equivalent of calorie counting for weight loss.

It's weirdly gratifying though having that one match where it clicked. It wasn't an abberation where you just have one of those days where you can't miss like happens occasionally for everyone. It wasn't a coincidence like that. I looked like a different player, my whole technique was visibly different to others, not just the result. I just need to get this and it's honestly like 3 levels.

Cliff notes: not staying low and forward leaning with torso, on balls of feet is my "master fault" to the diminuation of all others. I need to make this automatic. How to think and how to train?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 08:36 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Not staying low and with forward bend is one of my big issues too. I realized that without a good forward lean it is much harder to do a forehand topspin against backspin. The body just has to move too much from upright to get into position with the back facing the roof position and with my lack of anticipation skills!!!. Also to get into a horizontal bat angle in the whip pattern in backhand topspin is much harder too. I recon I play 10% to 20% better when I am low and with forward bend. Footwork improves too. I am not sure how to train myself not to come up during a rally.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 08:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I play about two levels better when I stay in a proper playing stance. It's really important.

The only advice I have is to video all your matches and practices. Scan them and see if you are standing up. Think about your posture constantly until the video proves it is automatic. After that just play, but if you miss a couple balls you should normally make, remind yourself that you have probably fallen back into old habits, and consciously think about your position for the rest of that set, or match, or training session.

And maybe some shadow training in front of a mirror, like in a gym, could speed things up for you.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319 ... 568  Next