OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 12:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 22:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
Imagine your opponent is serving some long very heavy topspin and you are trying to loop it. With the forehand you can fold your body to loop the ball down. How can you do this with the backhand?

I would just practice hitting more forward with a higher contact point on the ball. The more the spin, the less spin you have to add so thicker contact is possible. It is not too hard for me to chance angles at the elbow.when blocking but maybe the bowing is also what helps with this.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 22:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Imagine your opponent is serving some long very heavy topspin and you are trying to loop it. With the forehand you can fold your body to loop the ball down. How can you do this with the backhand?

Lean far forward more on the backswing and come up only a small fraction on the forward swing. If the spectators see you come up, you've probably come up too much. The slight upward move is just to support the arm in the swing.

Imagine that someone hits the slowest, heaviest loop of all time. Is it okay to one-step bow into the ball without coming up? Is it okay to just fold down into the backhand to keep it down?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 01:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
If you don't come up out of the bow at all, I guess you will swing with your arm only. Swinging with arm only against heavy spin usually does not end up well...

But I guess backhand is inherently limited for countering heavy topspin because you can't fold down on the forward swing.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 01:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I guess this inherent limitation is the reason why prefer to counterloop with BH very quickly off the bounce

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 02:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I guess this inherent limitation is the reason why prefer to counterloop with BH very quickly off the bounce

He's still using a bow down and up approach and he is taking it early. If he was at the back of the court, he'd use more body and still make the shot fairly often.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 16:48 

Retriever wrote:
<delurking>
mickd wrote:
Quote:
... I've been getting coaching once a week. You might have even met my coach's friend. Apparently awhile back he was in Australia and even helped coach some of the national juniors for awhile. I'm not sure how far back this was, though.

I am not Brett, but is your coach's friend Tatsuya Hadaka? He was playing in my local comp and coaching at the club I was at. He did coach the national juniors for a year or so. It would be a year or two back that he was involved with them.

</delurking>

I asked today, and yes that's him! His name is Tatsuya Hidaka. I looked him up and this blog post from a few years came up about his visit and his results there:
http://www.tactive.co.jp/blog/archives/1906

Looks like he's back in Japan now, and I think he's working with the national team, but I could be wrong.

Just a FYI: Hadaka means naked in Japanese ^^ His name is Hidaka.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 16:50 

fastmover wrote:

My initial thoughts were to take the ball earlier, too. But I see you've already considered that in your latest post! Seems like it should be easier to go over the ball if you take it early.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 18:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:
Retriever wrote:
<delurking>
mickd wrote:
Quote:
... I've been getting coaching once a week. You might have even met my coach's friend. Apparently awhile back he was in Australia and even helped coach some of the national juniors for awhile. I'm not sure how far back this was, though.

I am not Brett, but is your coach's friend Tatsuya Hadaka? He was playing in my local comp and coaching at the club I was at. He did coach the national juniors for a year or so. It would be a year or two back that he was involved with them.

</delurking>

I asked today, and yes that's him! His name is Tatsuya Hidaka. I looked him up and this blog post from a few years came up about his visit and his results there:
http://www.tactive.co.jp/blog/archives/1906

Looks like he's back in Japan now, and I think he's working with the national team, but I could be wrong.

Tatsuya was the Australian junior boys coach at exactly the same time I was Australian mens coaches. He is now working for the Japanese Federation to prepare their team for the 2020 Olympics. He is the real deal!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 03:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

What is the correct shot to play against a genuine short heavy topspin serve? Suppose that I play Hamakawa again and need to return his serves somehow.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 04:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

fastmover wrote:
What is the correct shot to play against a genuine short heavy topspin serve? Suppose that I play Hamakawa again and need to return his serves somehow.

You can do anything with quality that fits into your game as long as you read the spin perfectly. A flick is probably the simplest, a long block next, a long push next and then a short push or drop shot. There are other sidespin options like sliding and hooking.

Serve return can be anything that fits into your game and ideally makes the opponent give you a chance to open.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 04:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If I flick, do I have to fold my body?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 07:36 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

fastmover wrote:

Yes. I don't really fold but the thing is that based on the spin you need a broad idea of what your racket should be doing, where it should start, where it should make contact with the ball and where it should finish. This determines your swing path and how you should adapt your body and upper arm to support the stroke.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 08:33 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
mickd wrote:

I remembered that his first name was Tatsuya. I got his surname as I spelled it from the honour page of our TT association from when he won the Open Singles while he was here.

I will have to get it changed so that we are not calling him Tatsuya "naked" for all the world to see. :) :)

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 12:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PTTP11 is now available on ttEDGE.com

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 12:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Yes. I don't really fold but the thing is that based on the spin you need a broad idea of what your racket should be doing, where it should start, where it should make contact with the ball and where it should finish. This determines your swing path and how you should adapt your body and upper arm to support the stroke.

This is a very accurate response by NextLevel.

Put your racket out in front of you and then just bend/fold forward. Did your racket move forward? Watch LTT97. It's everything I know about tt mechanics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346 ... 568  Next