OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 04:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
P.S.S. no Mal Malloy pics here :lol: (for now)

:rofl:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 18:15 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
So from the last Thursday I put Galaxy Qing (0.7) as a replacement for the Neptune(0.7). (I'll make a quick comparison below)
Overall:
Qing is faster than Neptune in all aspects.
That's all.
It has good control in the chopping game, has a little bit softer and livelier sponge compared to the Neptune. Thus one can chop no-spin balls better with a fast wrist action but one can also pop up the ball on the table when trying to leave it short. :swear: :D
My opponents said that the Qing is harder for them cause the ball comes faster.
The under-spin on the chops is comparable, I think.
Hitting with Qing is easier.
Qing can be played as Neptune in situations when you want to push a ball that is coming to you with side-under or plain under-spin.
You have these options(those are not the only options, it's just that you can do thi both things with them) with both of the rubbers:
1. Bump the ball with force - then it goes fast and flat to the opponent (no spin reversal at all, you kill the spin for speed)
2. Bump the ball lightly - not bending the pips a lot. This way some residential spin is left on the ball and it often kicks sideways on the opponents side of the table. I use this in combination with a BH side-under serve sometimes. With the Qing it's a little worse for the opponent because it springs the ball faster because of the faster sponge.
What I mean by this is that both pips have more friction when properly bent. If you play a lighter shot - without sinking the ball too deep - then you have nastier balls for your opponent with some spin left on them.

The main problem I had was adjusting to the 1gr difference in the racket weight and the shifted balance(more to the wrist). I really struggle with such changes. I know a lot of people who are not bothered when changing racket to racket or when changing one rubber with another with different weight - well, I'm not one of those ;(
I've had two days of playing games and one big training session with the new setup and only at the second half of the training session I felt like I was finally hitting the ball with the center of the racket. Before that most of my FH shots where somehow wild - not with the center, edges, misses...
Well that's that. I hope I've adjusted to the slight change in balance in the racket and now I'll start adjusting to the change in the pips and start developing it's potential (and I feel that it's a harder pip to play both for the opponent and for me).

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 11:40 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
v100ev wrote:
The main problem I had was adjusting to the 1gr difference in the racket weight and the shifted balance(more to the wrist). I really struggle with such changes. I know a lot of people who are not bothered when changing racket to racket or when changing one rubber with another with different weight - well, I'm not one of those ;(

I think the weight issue is mental more than anything. 1g is roughly the weight of edge tape for 1 racket. Depending on how much glue you apply the weight would also go up by 1-2g. All I am trying to say is 1g difference would be almost impossible to detect. If you really really feel like your balance is all wrong now b/c it shifted by ONE gram and it bothers you, add some edge tape and you'll be good to go.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 02:36 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:

I think the weight issue is mental more than anything. 1g is roughly the weight of edge tape for 1 racket. Depending on how much glue you apply the weight would also go up by 1-2g. All I am trying to say is 1g difference would be almost impossible to detect. If you really really feel like your balance is all wrong now b/c it shifted by ONE gram and it bothers you, add some edge tape and you'll be good to go.

Probably you're right. It's just that every time I get to try any other paddle or change my rubbers I start to hit the edges or miss the ball completely. And it was always this way. And I wasn't weighting the paddles and thinking - "Oh, this is heavier - I'll have problems". It's just that it's hard for me somehow. Most of my friend can swap the paddles as they want and they have no problems..
Well, even if this is mental - it helps stopping EJing. Cause when you know that you won't be able to play normally for a couple of days with the new equipment, you decide to stay with the old. :lol:

Had another training session with the Qing pips. Definitely more spin sensitive and faster than Neptune. But overall it seems harder for the opponent too. It has a bigger room for variation and I need to explore it now. Some side-spin chopping is more possible now. :Chop:

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 23:58 
Super User

Yesterday participated in a local tournament.
Finished second in the group (my training buddy was with me and he beat me so he finished first and I second :lol: ).
After that won an easy match (1/16) and then lost to a boy that uses treated(that's a fact everyone knows here, but we're not an ITTF tournament so it's allowed) Dawei D-1 and pushes with it(actively and passively) all over the table. Basically I lost mostly because I wasn't mentally ready for this matchup. I've been concentrating on defensive play in my last training sessions so I somehow started very week against him and he lead 2:0. Then I completely changed the game - no risky looping, controlled no-spin shots with occasional hits, and got to 2:2. Somehow in the fifth the pattern didn't work and I couldn't fix the problem in time so I lost 11:7 :(
In reality it's perfectly normal cause such opponents are(and always were) rather hard for me. Not classical defenders or chop-blockers, but active pushers with nasty pips (and his are really nasty).
After my loss I played with other guys just for fun and finished playing a friend of mine who is much stronger (above 90% winning ratio in our country's second highest league). We played with 4 points handicap and it felt really well. The levels of spin in his touch play where much more serious that I'm used to so it was interesting :o . Mostly the touch play was the biggest problem (that seems logical) but I was overall satisfied with how I played.
Loving the Qing more and more cause it's really harder for the opponents to play against (if I play actively with it). And the control is good. And no bubbles under my fingers :clap:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 03:33 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
v100ev wrote:
active pushers with nasty pips (and his are really nasty).
Loving the Qing more and more cause it's really harder for the opponents to play against (if I play actively with it).

This is actually what most people think of defenders in general -- and this is what's on their mind when they play against you. "Nasty" pips, "he has no backhand and is just covering his weakness", "easy to beat if not for the pips"... the list goes on.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 16:19 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:
v100ev wrote:
active pushers with nasty pips (and his are really nasty).
Loving the Qing more and more cause it's really harder for the opponents to play against (if I play actively with it).

This is actually what most people think of defenders in general -- and this is what's on their mind when they play against you. "Nasty" pips, "he has no backhand and is just covering his weakness", "easy to beat if not for the pips"... the list goes on.

Well I can't fully agree with you :)
First of all, I said nasty meaning that the balls coming from such pips are really weird. It's hard to find pips that will produce such balls and that are legal. So that's what I meant - the balls are coming really nasty, but that doesn't mean I mean it in a negative way or something. Maybe it's my choice of words that was wrong. I definitely don't think the way you quoted about my opponent. I mean - you need skill to play like that. And also you need skill to beat him.
But when your opponent deliberately uses forbidden equipment then that means something. It's just that easy. You can see a lot of stronger players that play with allowed equipment and I'm pretty sure they don't give you nice balls with the pips (or fl-anti). I don't know what's a person thinking when he's deliberately using something that is against the rules and he knows it*. Boosting is the same for me (I just hope that my blog is not very popular and we wont start a war here about the topic :lol: ).

And still if you lose - you lose. And the "nasty" opponent will lose to someone, so you just need to become better. It's just a little frustrating when you meet such type of players (who knowingly break the rules) :swear:

* About the backhand I have a point that if a player can't play a BH with a regular rubber but can play it with pips/anti - it's ok. Why must he be like everybody. It's a game of skill with a lot of options - so I'm not against "having not backhand". :Defense: No one is saying such things against the penholders somehow (that they are not holding the paddle properly :rofl: )
* If my post sounds too critical/negative or something like that - didn't mean it, probably still language barrier :swear: (well I'm a little bit straightforward in life too, but I hope not so much :rofl: )

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019, 00:16 
Super User

Nothing to write about for now..
Been working on my pips receive. Adding some new types of receive - more like chiquita/topspin with the pips, not only the classical chopping receive. This helps with some servers(especially good in doubles) but for now it needs more practice. :Defense:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 00:33 
Super User

Well a couple of thoughts about the WTTC.
(SPOILERS!)
Some incredible matches and unexpected results, that's for sure!
Hitomi Sato is currently my favorite chopper. Her match against Wang Manyu was really amazing. Also I've seem Sato play in real life - she's superb. Last year, if I remember correctly, she played Wang Yidi here in Bulgaria - well that was a tremendous match. She's just super fast and returns so much balls back!
Gauzy played superbly against Xu Xin. Didn't expect that really. I was pretty sure he'll lose.
The Korean boy beating Harimoto wasn't something special for me. It seems like rather often Japanese players have problems with the Korean guys. Probably some style match up, I don't know. Somehow I see it that way.
Falck being in great shape was very nice.
The controversial point in the women's doubles.. Won't comment it, but didn't like it.
But the two best things for me:
Liu Shiwen beating DN and CM! And in both matches she won one game by 11:0 :o . That's not as easy as some may think. But I was so glad she finally won. It was a super emotional moment. :party:
And Ma Long.. Well the confidence in his match against LJK was somehow crushing. It looked like LJK was trying to challenge someone who he knows is much stronger, like his master or something. It was so obvious that Ma Long was dictating the pace all the match and giving opportunities to LJK because he was totally in control. That was really crazy and scary. I really think that mentally only FZD(and Xu Xin, but Xu Xin technically is weaker I think) is ready to challenge Ma Long. But it didn't happen.
Overall the WTTC was great and very interesting to watch)

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 04:10 
Super User

Today was the first day of me using the Yinhe Apollo 5 (36 degree sponge) on the FH instead of my trustworthy Battle 2.
The Battle 2 was already 6 months old and felt a little more dead overall and the spin was not the same as it used to be. Didn't want to order a new one from china and wait for 2-3 weeks so got the Apollo 5 from our club's shop(only 36 degree version available - but it's not that soft..).
Well initial impressions. It's definitely factory boosted(the smell.. omg). It's definitely slower than the Battle 2 (but the battle 2 was 39 degree vs 36 here). But it will need time to break. Not as tacky as the B2, but very spinny(I would rate it may be a little spinnier than B2.. or the same.) and grabs the ball very well.
Tomorrow will play again with it, but I'll write about it in a week or two - I'm sure it'll need some time to break and start playing better.

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 04:17 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
v100ev wrote:
Today was the first day of me using the Yinhe Apollo 5 (36 degree sponge) on the FH instead of my trustworthy Battle 2.
The Battle 2 was already 6 months old and felt a little more dead overall and the spin was not the same as it used to be. Didn't want to order a new one from china and wait for 2-3 weeks so got the Apollo 5 from our club's shop(only 36 degree version available - but it's not that soft..).
Well initial impressions. It's definitely factory boosted(the smell.. omg). It's definitely slower than the Battle 2 (but the battle 2 was 39 degree vs 36 here). But it will need time to break. Not as tacky as the B2, but very spinny(I would rate it may be a little spinnier than B2.. or the same.) and grabs the ball very well.
Tomorrow will play again with it, but I'll write about it in a week or two - I'm sure it'll need some time to break and start playing better.

Having played with Apollo 5 36 deg for a few months, I once tried Battle II (the regular version) but wasn't impressed with it at all.
Similarly to your impressions, Battle II seemed less spinny than Apollo 5 to me. And it was faster which means less control. And the tackiness... phenomenal dust-gathering ability.

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 04:54 
Super User

ziv wrote:
Having played with Apollo 5 36 deg for a few months, I once tried Battle II (the regular version) but wasn't impressed with it at all.
Similarly to your impressions, Battle II seemed less spinny than Apollo 5 to me. And it was faster which means less control. And the tackiness... phenomenal dust-gathering ability.

The dust-gathering ability of Battle II really is on another level :rofl:
Although the B2 seems less spinny it's speed gave me the ability to play balls with very good quality. I hope I'll be able to that with the Apollo when I adjust to it.
Also does it(the Apollo) break a lot? Or I should expect only some minor changes in speed? :Chop:

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 06:04 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
v100ev wrote:
Also does it(the Apollo) break a lot? Or I should expect only some minor changes in speed? :Chop:

I didn't notice much difference. For me, Apollo 5 was playable since the day I glued it until a few months later when I started to feel like it had lost some grip.
I would suggest you to give it another chance (and maybe swing a little harder if the speed isn't enough for you).

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 07:08 
Super User

ziv wrote:
I didn't notice much difference. For me, Apollo 5 was playable since the day I glued it until a few months later when I started to feel like it had lost some grip.
I would suggest you to give it another chance (and maybe swing a little harder if the speed isn't enough for you).

Thanks a lot!
That's pretty much what I'm going to do - adjust to the rubber and explore it's potential :topspin:

PostPosted: 10 May 2019, 22:39 
Super User

Yesterday played with the Apollo 5 for a second time. Well, it needed to be re-glued cause it didn't stick well on the sides. Probably because of the booster.
After the second gluing it became more predictable cause the vibrations were reduced and the bounce became more even :)
Overall it's still slow-ish a little for my liking but the spin is superb. Also the short game is very nice and because of the spin to speed ratio one can play some incredible shots (weird side-spin chops, etc, etc).
Overall I'll get used to it. Still have some minor easy mistakes cause I'm used to the B2's speed.
Probably the 37-38 versions are faster but this 36 version has superb control so I think I'll manage with it :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next