OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 05:52 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Sound like you need a faster harder blade to get the best out of Orkan.

The soft flexible defplay will slow down most pips out rubbers noticeably - good for the likes of Waran on the BH but Orkan is not that fast.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 21:47 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
It's definitely an interesting trade-off that this rubber presents me with. Just about any shot is very controllable. And sometimes, the slow pace throws off my opponents. But sometimes, they adjust and just hammer it. I think that it's essential to catch the ball right off the bounce and try to take advantage of that slow nature as much as possible. Since it has a higher throw angle, it is also essential to close the blade angle enough. The ones where I didn't, it sat up a bit and got pounded. The ones where I did, the ball went back low, short and slow, and those were very effective. It is also relatively easy to attack with...but again, if it's not well placed and the opponent adjusts to the speed, the ball was easy to return by my opponents. I still think this could be a long term option for me...but I'm also going to continue exploring. Have some Dr Neubauer Explosion coming, and some Dr Neubauer Troublemaker to try on the backhand as well. I know these aren't traditional medium pips, but I'm leaving myself open to any pip type. I might also put the sheet of Keiler back on to see how that plays for me again.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 02:26 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
dwruck wrote:
It's definitely an interesting trade-off that this rubber presents me with. Just about any shot is very controllable. And sometimes, the slow pace throws off my opponents. But sometimes, they adjust and just hammer it. I think that it's essential to catch the ball right off the bounce and try to take advantage of that slow nature as much as possible. Since it has a higher throw angle, it is also essential to close the blade angle enough. The ones where I didn't, it sat up a bit and got pounded. The ones where I did, the ball went back low, short and slow, and those were very effective. It is also relatively easy to attack with...but again, if it's not well placed and the opponent adjusts to the speed, the ball was easy to return by my opponents. I still think this could be a long term option for me...but I'm also going to continue exploring. Have some Dr Neubauer Explosion coming, and some Dr Neubauer Troublemaker to try on the backhand as well. I know these aren't traditional medium pips, but I'm leaving myself open to any pip type. I might also put the sheet of Keiler back on to see how that plays for me again.

Good luck, let us know how your testing turns out. I understand what it is like to be searching for a suitable replacement rubber.

I liked the Regular Do Knuckle better than the super or Orkan II I tired. But then I'm primarily a hitter, not a blocker. For my game so far of the pips I have tried, the Nittaku Pimple mini and Keiler are my first choices. I'm currently working with Power Pipes. Its an interesting rubber, I think it will stick around unless something else (Explosion) can knock it off my practice bat. I have Power Pipes in a 1.8 mm sponge, and I am wishing I had ordered the 1.5 mm instead for a little more control. It is definitely fast enough.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 04:13 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Hi 1dennistt! I also like to both block and hit. One of the most important parts of my game is being able to be aggressive in attacking with my backhand, so it sounds like we might be looking for the same thing. I'd like something with good control, a little bit of "deception/spin reversal", and can attack effectively. With long pips, I found most of them were either really good for defense or really good for hitting, but nothing that was a great balance, which is why I started playing around with different medium pips. I've got a sheet of the Explosion coming that I am interested to try. I also have a sheet of Keiler that I'd initially been using, perhaps it's time to put that back on. I've read a lot about the Power Pipes. How would you compare them to the Keiler? I haven't used the Pimplemini so Keiler would be a great comparison. Are all points from it generated from offense, or do opponents have difficulty if you defend with it also?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 01:12 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
I'm using pp since about 3 months now and it plays very good on the offensive. I succeed to play it slowly when i got the pimples involved. It play fast when i hit more direct into the sponge. It is made for offensive with deception.

Deception on the speed you put into the shot. When i hit with the top of the blade, it goes fast. If i succeed to hit with the tip of the blade pointing to the ceiling it goes downward and fast that gave usually a return that is usually high that i can powerloop with my fh.

Soft block straight or chop block are changing the pace and destroy the rythem. Of the opponant. I played better with stronger player and looper. I can counter attack loop with sometime very weird arc . as i say it depend on the involvment of the pips.

Defensively it is low and float far from the table. Near the table fast push can create underspin put play it passively and it will fly outside of the table. It is a bit difficult to play near and far from the table as a style of play. Long shot are not played like short shot. It play similarly than short pips.

Yesterday was my best night. I played against the best player of the ligue. Very fast looper. Last time i try chopping and he went pass me all the time. Yesterday i played agressively on his serves with the pips. The fast low return floating and skidding on the table make the obligation to loop with high arc. I then hit a very fast controled hit with my pips on the opposite direction. I.lost 13-11 on the 5th game. I was very exited of that night.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 03:04 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Great feedback, thanks! I will be putting that on my list to eventually try. :)
How thick of a sponge are you using?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 04:17 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
1,5mm. Expect To buy ox and 1, 8 maybe 2.mm to really see the difference and different thickness to.play different style of opponent.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 02:30 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
maddrag wrote:
1,5mm. Expect To buy ox and 1, 8 maybe 2.mm to really see the difference and different thickness to.play different style of opponent.

Great feedback! I'd be interested in finding out how the different thicknesses affect your game with the PP.

I only have a couple of sessions with the PP so far, all with the 1.8 mm sponge. It is a little faster than Keiler both when hitting and pushing, chop block with PP is better, since it actually can return some spin. With Keiler all I could ever manage was a dead chop block, maybe just my touch. I'm able to attack backspin with either one, though with slightly different techniques. With Keiler, I tend to roll the ball like short pips, with PP I tend to attack like I would with long pips. We have a short pips hitter, about 1950~ rated, and I was able to counter hit with her with no problem with either rubber. She seemed to have more problems with the PP ball, since it is a little faster and takes away some of her time. The key seems to be moving the ball around against her.

My problem at the moment is I have too many pips to try out. Power Pipes, Elfrark, and Do Knuckle (These 2 have already been pushed to the bin of used rubbers: Do Super Knuckle, Pistol 2). I'm tempted to order Explosion since it is on sale at TT11 this week.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 21:36 

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
I have tried to solve my problems with attacking and deception issue that I play with 2 different setups. In both setups I have barricade blade and Joola golden Tango 1,8mm in FH. My main setup I have Dtechs ox in BH. Setup 2 I have Orkan or Keiler 1,5mm in backhand. I have noticed that I can loose my opponent with Detechs but then I win easlily that same guy with Keiler.
How does this sound to you guys? Is it wise to have 2 different setups? Somebody said that I dont learn to play with either one?.
My problem is that how to know in competiton what setup to choose against different opponents.
By the way I have cut Barricade blade smaller and now its little bit faster. I think its allround now.

Regards

Soba

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 21:45 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I tried briefly to use the multiple setup idea, and I think I have to agree with the advice you were given, I didn't feel like I was ever really learning to play with one or the other very well. Especially with different rubber types that have different benefits. The DTecS provides a lot of spin reversal but is more difficult to control, while medium pips like Keiler or ORKan have less "reversal" but are easier to control and attack with. My recommendation would be, play a little bit with each and see which fits your style the best. If having the more "tricky" to play against DTecS sets up your offense and forces errors, then go with that. But if you are more of a block/hit type player who plays better when attacking more with the backhand, go with a medium pip.
When I tried Keiler and ORKan I liked them both, but they are very different too. Keiler is better for attacking as it is a little faster and blocks well. ORKan is much slower in my opinion, great if you want to block short and disturb opponents with off speed balls and balls that bounce twice on the table off blocks. Some opponents will struggle to counter attack longer balls, but other opponents who adjust to the slower speed will smack through them.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 23:31 
Super User

The sensible thing which you have done is minimise the variables i.e same blade and FH rubber.

I have found the same as you that a high reversal/blocking pips out rubber is great against good level loopers but when faced with a mixed bag of shots of varying pace and spin it is better to use a rubber that can impart spin and pace as long as factors like launch angle are similar.

Dr Neubauer on his website states he has two blade & rubber combinations for this reason.

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 04:06 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Yeah, but Dr Neubauer is also an international level player. I tend to go by the old saying "walk before you can run". As a non-elite player who has a lot of work to do when it comes to mastering one setup, in my personal opinion you'd be best served by testing out the setups over a couple of nights, get some feedback from players who you've played a lot as to which they feel is most effective, and go "all in" on that one until you feel like your level has gone to its maximum with that setup. It's much easier for someone who practices and plays to the point where it's basically their job to be able to competently play two setups, as opposed to your average player who plays a couple of times a week for fun.

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 22:29 

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
Thanks guys you have good points. Ill try both for a while and decide witch one will be my setup in games. Offcourse I need funny bat setup and that will be another one.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2019, 06:06 
Super User

Getting back to the Topic of Orkan, I am back using my sheet of 1.5mm black this time on my Dr Neubauer Bloodhound blade which is quite hard and fast with a low throw. Seems to suit Orkan well and I am slowly working out how to get the best out of it. The reversal is definitely a strong point against topspin and returning backspin is just so easy. Pushing on the Bloodhound is also good and low the best technique seeming to be to point the tip of the blade at the ball and add some side spin to the stroke. What it is not strong at is aggresive hitting, control diminishing rapidly the harder one tries to hit and as others have mentioned it is not that fast and not good at creating spin except by reversal.

As an experiment as I was having problems on my forehand against backspin my training partner suggested twiddling and trying Orkan on my forehand and we were both amazed how easy it was to aggresively return back spin low and deep the reversal bringing the ball down. Then against topspin the high reversal caused him a lot of problems with hitting into the net, but I had to be careful not to hit too hard as the reversal would then make the ball visibly curl up and go long. For aggressive forehand play too slow of course but it makes me wonder if Orkan 2 in say 1.8mm would be a dangerous tool on the forehand for those not looking to create a lot of topspin.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 22:24 
Super User

having moved away from Orkan back to more offensive MP rubbers like keiler I recently bought a sheet of 1.5mm red to go on my all speed B&W blade - verdict not good as compared to the black the pips are much harder and this combined with the springy sponge made pushing and chopping tricky as ball just pops up and a distinct lack of feel for soft blocks. Removed the sponge and attaching to a 1mm medium sponge improved it quite a bit but it needs a heavier blade than my 70gm B&W or heavier FH rubber to compensate for the low weight.

Interestingly having moved fully to using MP and LP on my BH when I try inverted or spinny short pips now on the BH everything just flies high and long as I am too used to hitting with a slightly open blade and stiffish wrist. Conversely on my FH as I use spinny high throw inverted rubbers my shots with SP's just go into the net !!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next