OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 05:47 

Blade: Palio Tct
FH: Yasaka Rakza 7 soft (Max)
BH: Nittaku Best Anti (1.3mm)
I play lot with this Toni Hold foil. But i use only with anti top sheet without rubber. I never tried with long pimple.

Today i order the 0.6mm Trouble Maker. Maybe next week i can test it.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 07:14 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

No full review yet, got my first sheet yesterday.

Man this is a fun rubber to use. really great.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 21:54 

Blade: Sauer and Troger Zeus
FH: Xiom vega Asia DF
BH: Dr Neubauer Troublemaker
I had a longer second session using TM 0.6, at my club against different opponents.
By using TM with sponge, for a longer time, I was impressed by the control which this rubber gives. Against fast topspin drives and loops, TM 0.6 returned the ball consistently and with good reversal. These returns were both away the table and at the table.
Hitting with TM 0.6 is also consistent, especially when at the table. The grip on the rubber is better than many of the other long pimples rubbers which I have used previously and I could hit backhands with confidence.
The control and relative slowness of the rubber enabled me to place the ball wherever I wanted, both short, just over the net, or long to the end of the table.
I think TM 0.6 is slightly slower than Ox, but has great control. The sponge slows down fast shots and the sponge is relatively hard underneath soft pimples. When playing with ox, the ball is not cushioned by sponge and the wood of the blade comes more into contact with the ball.
Two of my club players tried my setup with TM 0.6 and they too were very impressed with the control and performance of the rubber. They could return the ball consistently.
Both ox and 0.6 are great rubbers and I advise players to try both versions to see which one suits their particular style. Choice of blade is also important. Both versions have good control and reversal, with good grip and hitting is consistent.

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 02:06 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Hey guys, I've never played with LP but I have SP on the backhand side.
If I wanted to try LP, would you recommend the TM as the first rubber to try? Would it require significant changes in technique, compared to SP?
If I was to use the TM, what sponge thickness would you recommend? Coming from SP, I'd probably be looking for some attacking capabilities.
Thanks!

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 03:18 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
ziv wrote:
Hey guys, I've never played with LP but I have SP on the backhand side.
If I wanted to try LP, would you recommend the TM as the first rubber to try? Would it require significant changes in technique, compared to SP?
If I was to use the TM, what sponge thickness would you recommend? Coming from SP, I'd probably be looking for some attacking capabilities.
Thanks!

It's hard to recommend something without knowing more about how you'd want to play. If your goal would be to block at the table, with occasional chopping thrown in, the Dr. N. Troublemaker would be a great rubber, but if you want to focus on chopping more, there are probably better options (and you probably would want a thicker sponge).

The transition from short pips to long pips is definitely pretty significant (I've used both, having played with a short pips/long pips combo and twiddled with it). If you want to be able to attack consistently and often, OX long pips might be frustrating for you, and I might suggest something like the Dr. Neubauer Aggressor (longish medium pips) or the KTL Stranger Attack or one of the other pips known for attacking and play those with at 1.2mm sponge. That way the transition from short pips won't be as drastic, and you'll be able to decide later if you want to try a thinner sponge or no sponge. I haven't tried those attacking pips myself, since my game is different, but others can probably offer some thoughts on them.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 04:50 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
In my opinion if you're coming from short pips and want to get a taste of long, as Tradesman said you might want to have a transition step before Trouble Maker. I'm going to assume that you like to block, hit and counter hit with your short pips here, so my recommendations might change if your game is different.

One route would be to go the medium pip route. SpinLord Keiler is a good option there, if you want something slower, SpinLord ORKan can drop the ball short very well too. Dr Neubauer Aggressor could be a good option as well.

The other route would be to go straight to long pips, but ones that are better for hitting. I've always thought that Friendship 837 or 755 with some sponge (like 1.0) are good for hitting with and learning long pips while still maintaining an attacking capability. Dr Neubauer Allround Premium 2 is also a good choice for this.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 14:24 

jmkeynes wrote:
I had a longer second session using TM 0.6, at my club against different opponents.
By using TM with sponge, for a longer time, I was impressed by the control which this rubber gives. Against fast topspin drives and loops, TM 0.6 returned the ball consistently and with good reversal. These returns were both away the table and at the table.
Hitting with TM 0.6 is also consistent, especially when at the table. The grip on the rubber is better than many of the other long pimples rubbers which I have used previously and I could hit backhands with confidence.
The control and relative slowness of the rubber enabled me to place the ball wherever I wanted, both short, just over the net, or long to the end of the table.
I think TM 0.6 is slightly slower than Ox, but has great control. The sponge slows down fast shots and the sponge is relatively hard underneath soft pimples. When playing with ox, the ball is not cushioned by sponge and the wood of the blade comes more into contact with the ball.
Two of my club players tried my setup with TM 0.6 and they too were very impressed with the control and performance of the rubber. They could return the ball consistently.
Both ox and 0.6 are great rubbers and I advise players to try both versions to see which one suits their particular style. Choice of blade is also important. Both versions have good control and reversal, with good grip and hitting is consistent.

Thank you for the review!

This look great what you wrote. I also get my 0.6mm version next week. I put to my Osp blade and see what happend after.

So you now like better the 0.6mm version? Or you use OX in the future?

PostPosted: 01 May 2019, 19:30 

For my style of play and since I play with a heavy blade, I will continue to play with the OX. The Zeus blade has an oversized head also, so the OX version makes this easier and lighter to manage.
On a lighter blade, the 0.6 version would do equally as well, since the extra weight of the sponge would make the blade slightly heavier.
Last night I played with the Zeus blade and OX and this enables me to play shots that I could not play with previous long pimples. Previously when I received service, I always stood away from the table and if the ball was served short, I could step in and push the ball back. Alternatively if the serve was long and fast, I used to take a step back and chop back the return. In both cases, this put me at an initial disadvantage. The disadvantage was that my opponent was in charge of the rally and could immediately attack or wait for the right ball to attack. The grip on my previous long pimples was low and I could not stay up to the table and roll or chop block the service.
Now with Troublemaker OX, I can stay up to the table and roll/chop block the service and this now gives me the advantage. I am in command of the rally and in control. The Troublemaker has better grip on the pimples, so it is easier to roll and hit with them, especially if you are up to the table. Troublemaker also has good reversal, which some of my previous long pimples also had, so I can still go back and chop, if I am required to do so.
I will continue to play with OX and will continue to post comments on my progress with this rubber.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 02:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
After less than a month using Troublemaker OX, I felt confident enough to campaign it in a USATT sanctioned 3-star tournament where I took 1st in U1750 and 3rd in U2000, pushing my USA rating to 1745. Not bad for my first tournament in over six years! In addition, my local league rating has increased 77pts since adopting troublemaker. That's a powerful testament to the superiority of this LP.

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 19:31 

I had another session with Troublemaker ox on my Zeus blade last night. I was very impressed with its chopping capabilities away from the table. If you play a passive chop, this produces a float ball and if an active chop is produced, then more reversal is the result. Furthermore the returns keep very low over the net.
Many long pimples in ox, which are sold today, will give reversal and deception, but it all depends on the amount of spin which your opponent has put onto the ball. Thus if your opponent has put topspin or side spin onto the ball, you can produce various amounts of reversal/deception. However, better opponents will realise this and will give back to you a ball with little or no spin, with the aim of reducing the effectiveness of the long pimples. This is where Troublemaker excels. If a ball comes back with little or no spin, it is very easy to attack. Troublemaker seems to have more grip than other long pimples and this makes it very easy to hit returns with an active shot.
I will certainly continue to play with Troublemaker in ox and hopefully continue to improve with this rubber.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 15:11 

I have my 0.6mm Trouble Maker. Now i can compare with OX version.

For me OX version have much better control. Easy to play short behind the net and easy to chop but nothing special.

The 0.6mm version different. The control not as good like OX because me little bit faster but i can hit more easy than ox and i can give more backspin when i chopping. My friend very good player and he can make very strong topspin. When i chop with ox he can easy hit back with his strong topspin play but with sponge version he have trouble many time because the ball full with backspin.

So i find the ox version good with passive control play and the 0.6mm version good to active play.
I use now the 0.6mm because i see more potential.

Sorry for my bad English

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 16:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I just moved my Troublemaker OX from a hard 6-ply Poplar/carbon blade to a soft 3-ply Cypress/Poplar blade, and WOW! The amount of backspin on chops and chop-blocks just increased massively, helping me win table #1 at my weekly club RR tonight; a victory that included a 3:1 victory over a USA2000+ regular opponent. League rating since changing to TM OX: +145 and counting!

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 19:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
nathanso wrote:
After less than a month using Troublemaker OX, I felt confident enough to campaign it in a USATT sanctioned 3-star tournament where I took 1st in U1750 and 3rd in U2000, pushing my USA rating to 1745. Not bad for my first tournament in over six years! In addition, my local league rating has increased 77pts since adopting troublemaker. That's a powerful testament to the superiority of this LP.

Great effort, well done! :rock:

The rubber must be quite durable as well, considering how hard you are on pips. :o

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 20:15 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Wow, TM is a good rubber, but I'm not having the universal success with it that all you guys are. I guess I'll keep working with it off and on. :headbang:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 14:34 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Matt Pimple wrote:
I had a chance of a first test with Troublemaker as well on my regular blade (Alser Allround5) . I usually play frictionless anti on backhand, currently Dr. N ABS2 2.5mm, and have only played anti the past few years without testing any pips. Interestingly, I was able to play with TM right away with very good control and only minor bat angle adjustments. It's faster than ABS2 2.5 but that wasn't really a surprise but it's still pretty slow so i didn't have any problems with the speed. I did have problems with the speed of the Palio CK513 a week before as comparison. Attacking with TM was easier as with anti and had more pop too. In particular lifting due to the grip was very easy. Chop blocking against slow and medium pace loops was also easy to control with good reversal. I'm by no means a chop block expert (you don't do that with frictionless anti!) so I was pleasantly surprised here. Against hard loops or fast drives I could not block with the TM, neither chop block nor passive block. This is much easier for me with the slow and dampening ABS2. Maybe my technique with the TM was not right here?
Overall I really enjoyed my little test with the TM and I'm planning to give it a more thorough look probably after our next tournament mid May. I think it could be a good alternative to frictionless antis with the ABS ball for a more aggressive game.

I assume you tested TM in OX? Did you notice a dramatic difference in weight compared to your setup with ABS2 2.5?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 36  Next