OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr. Neubauer ABS2
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2019, 22:58 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
How long do you think the ABS2 will last before you have to replace it?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 06:38 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
gus_goose wrote:
How long do you think the ABS2 will last before you have to replace it?

Difficult to say as it also depends on how much you attack yourself or if you play more passively. I used the ABS2 2.1mm before I switched to the 2.5mm version and that latest since it came out. The topsheet actually stays slick and is pretty robust but the sponge will eventually change its properties and become a little bit faster. If you hit hard with the rubber the sponge will probably change faster. It should last like 6 month at least i would say. How often do you change your Tenergy?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 11:50 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
I used tenergy only once and it lasted about 8 months before top sheet became slick and un-usable.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 06:54 
Super User

We recently taped a bunch of practice games where I play with ABS2 2.5mm, so hopefully I get some sort of idea about how it works. My opponent knows my anti game very well so generally he doesn't get too surprise by my stuff.

P.S.: Forget about the first 20 minutes or so since I get creamed pretty good but got much better after that... :?:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 21:53 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Great to see how you're using it. I have a sheet coming, just to give it a try and compare it to using the Trouble Maker long pips. It looks like your opponent really had a lot of trouble with shots where you were aggressive with the anti against his push. Your bump shots back at him really put him off guard. It looked like he knew what to do when top spinning, I can see where he's used to your game, because you had to put 3 or 4 blocks on the table before he might miss one, but for players who aren't used to that, I can imagine the errors come more quickly. Thanks for sharing!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 06:38 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
Great to see how you're using it. I have a sheet coming, just to give it a try and compare it to using the Trouble Maker long pips. It looks like your opponent really had a lot of trouble with shots where you were aggressive with the anti against his push. Your bump shots back at him really put him off guard. It looked like he knew what to do when top spinning, I can see where he's used to your game, because you had to put 3 or 4 blocks on the table before he might miss one, but for players who aren't used to that, I can imagine the errors come more quickly. Thanks for sharing!

Doug, with the new ABS balls you can't make a living anymore with just spin reversal as a frictionless anti player as you get less incoming spin. So you have to change the strategy a little bit and try to keep the opponents, in particular strong loopers off guard, by playing left-right and long-short. To me the ABS2 2.5 is the safest frictionless anti I have ever tested and since you are not scoring with massive reversal anymore you need to be as safe as possible and put balls back on the table. Also, with the ABS2 2.5 it's possible to block short and low which forces the opponent to push the ball so you can then attack. It is possible to attack with ABS2 2.5 as well (there are a few examples in the video towards the end) but it's not as fast as some other antis but it's very controlled again in that department. Other antis like Rhino+ or Tarantula are better for attacking. I was essentially trying to just show different stuff you can do with ABS2 2.5 (or I can do) like safe blocking, short blocking, some attacks and aggressive pushing.
Coincidentally, my Troublemaker arrived today and I'm hoping to give it a go Friday or Saturday. It would be interesting to exchange our experiences in particular since you played so long with LN ox and I with frictionless anti.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 22:57 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I'm a huge fan of the Troublemaker. Would definitely love to exchange thoughts and ideas with you!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 04:05 
Super User

Doug, did you already have a chance to give the ABS2 2.5 a go? I would be interested to hear how it went. Meanwhile, i used the Troublemaker in one session and will post my impressions soon over in the TM thread.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 22:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I saw your impression Matt! I'm hoping to give the ABS2 a try at the club tomorrow. Will definitely let you know my thoughts comparing the pips to this anti!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 21:41 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Hey Matt, what type of blade do you recommend for this anti? I had a very, very brief hit with it on a defensive blade and I was dumping most of the balls short into the net, or not even getting to the net. I get the feeling I might need a more "forward" motion with this rubber, but also that it might be more effective on a faster blade.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 07:56 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
Hey Matt, what type of blade do you recommend for this anti? I had a very, very brief hit with it on a defensive blade and I was dumping most of the balls short into the net, or not even getting to the net. I get the feeling I might need a more "forward" motion with this rubber, but also that it might be more effective on a faster blade.

Doug, first of all, I would always recommend to try the blade you are currently using before moving to something else just so you don't change two variables at a time. Generally, the nice thing about this rubber is that you can use it on a fast blade and still block very controllably and short. Since this is the first time you tried and only for a brief hit, I may very well be a technique or blade angle adjustment issue. You generally have to open the blade more than you would with the Troublemaker, which I tested. On block you do NOT want any forward motion as it will cost you some reversal, unless it's a really slow, soft loop. You can push very aggressively with the ABS2 against underspin, again with a fairly open blade angle. Without seeing a video, I would say that give it another go on your def blade and work on blade angle.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 21:48 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Thanks for the tips! I will give it another go, more extended next time. I just need to find someone who is willing to loop at me and let me dump a bunch of balls into the net. :D

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 21:01 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Over this past weekend I had a chance to practice a little more with the ABS2. I was able to adjust the blade angle and start returning loops pretty short with weird spin on them. I was also practicing the "punch" and "lift" shots against dead balls and back spin balls. When I did that, it gave my drill partner some nasty balls that he almost always missed. I don't know if in the long run this is the best choice for me, but I'm interested in giving it a longer try in practice.

I have a big tournament coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to put away the anti spin until after that and another smaller tournament in early June. Over the summer, though, I may give more time to seeing if the ABS2 would be more effective for my new game than the Trouble Maker OX long pips. Should be fun to test!

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 06:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Is it called ABS2 because it was designed for the newest ball? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 May 2019, 13:41 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Is it called ABS2 because it was designed for the newest ball? :lol:

Iskandar

No it's not! The original ABS is on the market since many years (long before the ABS ball) and the ABS2 is just a newer version with short pips and thicker sponge. ABS was an abbreviation for something but I can't remember what exactly; something like anti-block-?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next