OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 18:08 

Blade: TB ALC
FH: T64
BH: T05
Hi, im finding attacking deep low chops difficult, please advise pros/cons using the following for this:
(Note - this question is on Equipment Only - the 1% enhancers) - NOT execution/application of technique)

• Soft/defence touch blade
• All-rounder blade
• Hard/offensive blade
• Tacky top sheet
• No tacky top sheet
• Soft sponge
• Med sponge
• hard sponge
• Thin sponge
• Thick sponge

Last edited by opinion on 23 May 2019, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 19:24 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
It's actually an interesting question. At one level, I could roll out the standard trope, and say: doesn't matter - you can attack a low, deep chop with anything. And I'd be right. I have a friend who plays with a mobile phone, and beats division 2 players... however...

A deep push is probably the thing I struggle to attack most.... and I've tried, historically, to paper over this weakness with..... equipment. I played with short pips on my fh for a while, because they tend to take some of the spin off, and make it easier to 'lift' the ball. But I've since moved to inverted, because really there's no shortcut here - it's a hard, technical task, and you've just got to buckle down and practice.

Note, I've played with LP on my BH for a long time now, and I can tell you from experience that it's possible to attack a deep push with lp, but that it's easier, in my experience (and also in the opinion of my coach) to do this if you have some sponge, compared to playing without any sponge. However, I assume you mean a FH or BH topspin against push, with an inverted rubber.

In essence, the task at hand is simple. You need to generate enough spin to overcome the spin that's already on the ball. This means starting below the ball, accelerating fast through contact, and *brushing* the ball - allowing the rubber to grip the side of the ball to impart maximum spin. You can do this with any sensible blade and sensible rubber. It's more important to get the mechanics of the shot right. Bad mechanics with 'perfect' equipment will still mean the ball goes in the net. Good mechanics with 'any' equipment will get the ball over the net. The best bet is to find a happy medium - work on your mechanics, and use standard equipment - any modern All+ blade, and any modern Euro/Jap/Chinese rubbers.

People will be along shortly to tell you that it's easier with more sponge, or with a softer rubber, or a slower blade, etc etc etc. Meh. Maybe. Define easier. There are good players playing with every possible variation you can imagine. I think in general the best way to learn to attack a low deep push/chop is to find someone who can consistently push and chop for you, and for you to practice against it. I don't honestly think the time you'd need to invest in getting better at it would be any different based on the blade and rubber you use, unless you go to the extremes of the spectrum.

Bottom line - as a percentage of the sum of all the overall factors that influence whether you successfully attack a low, deep chop/push, the equipment you choose will be on the low side, in my view.

PostPosted: 22 May 2019, 19:33 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
This isn't my friend... but it's similar:

PostPosted: 25 May 2019, 12:01 

Hi, thanks for your reply however I'm Only looking for information on equipment not mechanics or techniques, are you able to provide pros/cons on the equipment bullet point list I had out-lined?

PostPosted: 25 May 2019, 12:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No doubt about it. You need a Viscaria and Tenergy 05. Dignics might even be better. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 May 2019, 15:57 
Super User

opinion wrote:
Hi, thanks for your reply however I'm Only looking for information on equipment not mechanics or techniques, are you able to provide pros/cons on the equipment bullet point list I had out-lined?

Oh the answer is quite obvious - Given that your technique is near perfect, only Nittaku Goriki Super Cut, along with the butterfly Dignics would solve the issue at hand... Mind you, the Diginics, after around a month of regular play, would be rendered useless for your type of play.. So, you'll have to install new sheets... Therefore, 24 sheets of Dignics and around 2 Nittaku Goriki Super Cut blades per year, would work wonders for your game...

PostPosted: 26 May 2019, 01:57 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Joola Rhyzer 48 is real bouncy and easy to loop backspin.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 26 May 2019, 14:33 
Super User

Tacky topsheet hard sponge hard offensive blade. If you already have optimal technique, this setup will provide the optimal results.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 26 May 2019, 16:59 

hi, tacky top sheet, hard sponge, please advise what's better 1.7, 1.9 or 2.1?

PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 02:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Most definitely 2.2. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 08:01 

Hi Guys,
from my original Question could someone please respond on each individual point? or can you refer me to someone? thanks

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 10:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think you're getting getting the responses you're after, because you haven't actually identified how you're going to attack the deep chop. Are you going to loop it, loop-drive, hit, lob?
If you're going to loop it, it's probably going to be easiest with a rubber that has a high throw. To get a higher throw a softer sponge tends to have a higher throw. Thicker sponge tends to have higher throw. Softer and slower blades tend to have higher throw compared to hard and fast blades. As mentioned to you privately, I think your currently equipment is perfectly fine for this.

PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 11:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think LordCope said it best... it's an interesting question and one without an absolute black-and-white answer. Most middle of the road attacking equipment would work just fine, though some would be slightly better than others. Nothing will do it automatically - you still need to learn/develop the proper strokes before you get consistent at it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 22:01 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

You asked for the "1% enhancers", equipment wise, relative to each of the points on your list.

Assuming "attack" means loop.My opinion, which seems to be close to what others also suggest:
  • Soft/defence touch blade: No - Too much hard work
  • All-rounder blade: Yes - Manageable with some control for most players
  • Hard/offensive blade: No - Lose control when you must make great effort.
  • Tacky top sheet: No
  • No tacky top sheet: Yes
  • Soft sponge: Yes
  • Med sponge : Yes
  • hard sponge: No
  • Thin sponge: No
  • Thick sponge: Yes

Pretty close to what you have, isn't it?

Then again, this 1% - or so - possible gain (assuming that your abilities are those of an "average" accomplished offensive player) is a long term effect. Short/middle term gain (and also long term, assuming that you have found a suitable setup) of 10% can be expected from this setup:
Same thing you used yesterday.

PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 22:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tenergy 05 is pretty much made to attack backspin balls. Players pay $80 a sheet for a reason, it's not all just marketing

If you can't loop the low deep chop with t05, there is no equipment that will save you.

Yoko Ono