OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 19:54 
Super User

Hi everyone,

A while back, I received a package of 5 blades from our dear member Adyy. As you can probably guess, I felt like a little kid during Christmas! This review is now long overdue.

As a background, I've been passionate about TT for about 10 years now, but my EJ journey really only picked up around middle of last year. My interest in blades started when I posted here looking for "stiff, hard, fast, linear" blades AKA the short pips holy grail. It wasn't long before a new Romanian OOAK member contacted me offering one of his prototype blades for testing. It would take about 100 back and forth messages before I received any blades but it felt like I found a travelling companion on sort of a discovery journey about materials, composition, technical measurements and most imprtantly "feel". We've shared many resources on wood charateristics, construction types and theoretical effects on playing properties.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind me revealing, but Adyy isn't much of a skilled player :lol: . His interest in TT only came about when his work colleagues challenged him to create a replacement for a broken blade. He is however, a very technically inclined engineer and at the same time a skilled woodworker. Our interest aligned when he started dissecting JRSDallas (MyTT) theories on blade stiffness/frequency (in fact he built a revised model for measuring potential characteristics from a blades composition and thickness). Our discussions have since progressed to testing, from November of last year to now, I've bought and tested 8 blades many of which I consulted him and then given feedback. Unbeknownst to me, he took to time to build 42 prototypes!

The idea of my perfect short pips blade WAS something stiff, hard, fast, but delivered power on a linear basis. A lot of seemingly fast blades with hardwood surface layers (ie Ebenholz, Gatein Absolum etc) delivered snappy flicks and crisp blocks but suffered severe power loss on high impact shots. Over the past 6 months, my preferences have matured and can be summarized in a blade that is moderately stiff and fast, but not necessarily hard as much as "solid", and mostly importantly crisp. Ie a blade that feels soft on touch but dense on very high impact, and at the same time, not hampered by vibration dampening properties from using composite materials. Most modern designs are hampered by weight restrictions and almost unanimously choose hard surface+soft core constructions. This will give an impression of high speed, but the soft core materials almost always makes the blade feel hollow (or matchbox like ad Adyy describes them), thus the opposite of "dense". I have since found my holy grail in the form of long forgotten mono-material basswood blades (old DHS 08 types). Thick, heavy blades that provided above average speed, yet maintains linear power output across all stroke types all while not sacrificing crisp feedback. This ofcourse came at ~110g of weight. Adyy's blades also err on the heavier side at ~100g, but IMO given that short pips are on average 10g lighter when cut that inverted, this (to me) is an acceptable weight gain.

Life has been busy lately, but I've had quite a few good sessions to fine tune a relative benchmark for these blades. I know quite well what I like and but I'm far from an expert reviewer. Nevertheless, I'll try to be as technical and objective as possible. Below is a table comparing Adyy's designs to a few more well known ones:

Stats Table

I took the classic pips blade (Clipper Wood) with 5 attached to all catageories and used that as a benchmark for everything else. Note, any numerical assignment is based on my relative testing, but other than stiffness, numerical measurements are not always possible. Example: speed 6 means slightly faster than clipper, 7 means noticeably faster etc...a 1 in density does not mean marshmallow-like, simply very "boxy" and insubstantial in respect to Stiga Clipper, but may very well be much more solid than someone elses balsa blade. I hope this format is understandable, but feel free to suggest better objective comparisons.

Being a penholder, all of these blades are tested with single sided short pips as not to unduly interfere with the feel by having another sheet on the back (yes your forehand feel will be impacted by your backhand rubber). As I have quite a few sheets of 802/802-40s laying around, they are what's used for all tests. Although I did play with other rubbers on a few blades I specifically enjoyed.

Note, these blades are designed for single-minded short-pips attacking. If you are looking for flex, dwell or any other subjective features, these will not be a good fit.

The Blades

002.2 Valiosaurus Mk II
First up is Valiosaurus Mk II

When we first started talking, Adyy came up with a hardwood blade with thick outer veeners. The idea was to have something stiff, hard, low dwell, and unform response regardless of shot effort. I think this was the 43rd blade Adyy made and the second iteration of his first custom blade and if nothing else, I can see the improvements in workmanship through the numbers.

The blade feels very stiff, fairly hard and crisp. Easy access to low impact speed (flicks) and maintains power on high impact. Not too springy, not too dull, stable response on all shots. A fast blade that achieves a balanced linear feel. A little bit hollow on medium impact, but not enough for me to not like it, and certainly not "matchboxy" (in fact, still more solid than 90% of mass market blades). Very crisp smashing feel. Seems to share some common characteristics with the Mazunov (guessing from the thicker, hard outer+thin core construction). This is the only blade where Adyy can achieve high stiffness and speed, using all wood, and not at excessive weight (90g is featherweight in this batch).This is also a refinement of the first blade that Adyy came up with when we started talking about stiff, hard, fast, linear blades and it ticks all those boxes. This is actually an excellent blade that suits hitting+agressive looping and would be perfect for a combination player. But I am a single sided penholder, and somewhere along the line of trying blades, I discovered that I like the sense of high-density reinforced repulsive feeling, and for that, he came up with better options. Personal rating: 8.

012: 7-ply all spruce blade

Second up is a 7-ply all spruce blade. Reading up on Wood Database, spruce is one of the best strength to weight ratio wood around and IMO a technically superior material to the fabled Hinoki for mono-material designs. This blade certainly lives up to expectations and I'm surprised why there aren't more blade makers using this material.

Very stiff, medium soft, VERY springy, ridiculously fast on all gears. Very lively and a little hard to control on over the table play, however maintains an extremely stable feel on moderate to high impact. The stability really reinforces attacking confidence, there are no "inflection" points in power delivery so once you get used to it, the blade is fairly predictable and an absolute top notch tool. Slightly harder and much faster than 7-ply hinoki blades but maintains generaly similar playing characteristics. No dampening feeling at all and keeps giving the harder you hit. Easily the fastest blade in this batch, and I would dare say it rivals if not exceeds the T1S in top-end power. Personal rating: 9.

020: 7 layer hardwood surface+spruce backbone

Adyy and I had very high hopes for this blade. The intention was for something that provides the same strength/stiffness as an all spruce, but having hard wenge outer veneers to give a more crisp feel. However, I felt that the hardness was a little excessive and instead of crispness, the blade simply felt "jarring". It is a very fast blade but the it became so hard that it was nearly impossible to achieve the penetrating crack feel on smashes that makes all wood blades "crisp" in the first place. Nexy's Deigner Diary series mentioned the effect of "dulling" from using very hard outer veneers and I generally agree with they thesis. To be honest, this is my least favorite blade in the batch and I'm not sure what kind of style it would suit. It doesn't have nearly enough feedback for a direct hitting style and the hard+stiff low dwell nature aren't suited for loopers either. If it can be slowed down, perhaps choppers would like it, but so far, this is the odd one out. Hard, hard + hard combo may be something Samsonov would enjoy, but both me and my club mates feel this is too excessive. Personal rating: 4.

041: Hard Zebrano wood surface + dense wood core

A Unique design combining hard surface AND dense core but separated by springy spruce intermediate layers. Very loud sound that rivals my Gatien Absolum. Feels similar to the Absolum in low impact feel (hard, sharp). Easy access to low impact speed like the Absolum, but unlike that one keeps high end power. Slightly hollow feel on medium impact, but the dense core kicks in when hitting hard. A bit complex in feel in that power delivery is an S-shaped curve (Fast-medium-fast-medium depending on effort). Despite using hard materials, the relative thiness provide ample feedback. Very fast flicks, moderate speed on drives, fast hits, but starts flexing and tops out on very hard smashes. I suppose that's to be expected from a somewhat thin construction. The Zebrano surface of this blade was damaged during the glueing process (this no close-up) and may be responsible for the "complex" response/feel during play. Personal rating: 7. If this design can be improved, I would recomend and intermediary layer (currently spruce) to be replaced with something harder than ash, but softer than Zebrano.

042 - An improve OSP Ultimate

Love at first sight! Slightly harder, slightly stiffer, slightly denser, and slightly faster than the Clipper on all gears, yet maintains stable and predictable power delivery. An all round improvement on a fan favorite! Plays very similar to classic 7-plies but with added density that "kicks in" only when you need it. To me, this is a direct upgrade to the Clipper types with no noticeable sacrifices. This is the slowest blade in Adyy's batch, but nevertheless an OFF+ (the others are just very very very fast). I would happily keep this as my only blade. Stable, crisp penetrating feeling, good control, low hollowness, no high end power loss. The original OSP Ultimate had a good idea, but I think they fell short by sacrificing blade thickness (and thus had excessive flex). No compromises here, a better 7-ply hitters blade period. Personal rating: 10.

I have quite a bit of jot notes and will be adding comments. However, as a new blade designer, Adyy is always interested in new testers. If anyone is interested in a PIF I'll be happy to forward the package at my expense. Please post if you are interested, and I'll let Adyy decide who gets them.

Cheers,

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 19:54 
Super User

Anyone interested in playing around with these blades?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 01:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Interesting that your favorite blade has a Mahogany core and a relatively low vibration frequency. I've been working with BBC off and on over the years, most recently trying to optimize a blade for SP/LP play. We happened across Mahogany as a core material a couple of hears ago (the "Ghost" series) and it was immediately my favorite SP blade. Since then we've been experimenting with Poplar as a core material which I prefer over Mahogany. My dream blade for SP is stiff and fast with a low vibration frequency.. qualities that Charlie tells me are mutually exclusive. But we keep trying. My only saving grace is that, as an OX LP player, I'm not bothered by blade weight of 100g or even higher. If Adyy cracks this challenge please post about it! And let us know which SPs you're testing these blades with.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 02:35 
Super User

I think we have much in common! As a single sided pips player, I prefer 100+ as well.

All compared using 802-40 as I have a whole bunch of those lying around, but I have played a few with spinpips red, spinpips blue, and dolphin.

I'm surprised you prefer low frequency. Is there a reason for this? I think it's generally accepted that frequency is positively correlated to stiffness.

Regarding hardwood core, I think the mahogany can be improved even more with a more gradual transition from soft surface-hard core. The BBC hinoki ghost seems like a good idea, but I'm sure I saw a frequency of low 1200's somewhere. I feel anything less than 1400 has too much flex for a block/smash game (IMO).

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 03:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Low frequency indicates more dwell time which I equate with more feel/better control. A blade's dwell time is influenced by many things, the degree of flex being a major -- but not the only -- contributor; that, from my observation and testing of countless blades that have emerged from the BBC workshop over the past dozen years.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 10:51 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Some fine hunks of wood there!

I get all of my blades custom made by SOULSPIN, and have done quite a bit of testing with different compositions.

It was interesting to me that you labelled the spruce/fitche wood as a good one to use. Reason being, soulspin seems to specialize in this wood. I had some blades made specifically for anti-spin BH and short pip forehand. They weigh a lot... but due to the lighter rubbers, the overall weight is still within the normal range.

Blade 1 - 127 grams

koto
ZLC
spruce
ZLC
ayous
ZLC
spruce
ZLC
walnut

With DMS reflection and TSP spectol - 185 grams

Blade 2 - 120 grams

Spruce
ZLC
spruce
ZLC
kiri
ZLC
spruce
ZLC
Walnut

With DMS reflection and impartial XB - 184 grams

That's 4 layers of ZLC in each blade... naturally, they are like heavy mallets! But the feeling is still rather soft on contact. I thought they would be super fast, all things considered, yet in playing I found the stationary block wasn't actually faster than any other blades you might try such as garaydia t5000 or ebenholz types. When smashing, man... the ball just explodes! Great stability in all shots, no vibrations etc.

They're kind of gimmicky/guilty pleasures I had designed, but having since used them, I think you could get the same playing characteristics using fewer/thinner materials without much difference in the end result.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 19:33 

Blade: homemade
FH: 729FX SuperSoft
BH: 729FX SuperSoft
Hi everyone,

Just today I had the time to fully read this review by Lasta. As he says, the quest for a fast-stiff-linear seemed like a challenge to me since all the blades I build till now are at least fast and stiff.
And I think this is how new products should be developed: someone having a clear idea -> some designer/builder make some prototypes.

lasta wrote:
042 - An improve OSP Ultimate ..... I would happily keep this as my only blade. Stable, crisp penetrating feeling, good control, low hollowness, no high end power loss. The original OSP Ultimate had a good idea, but I think they fell short by sacrificing blade thickness (and thus had excessive flex). No compromises here, a better 7-ply hitters blade period. Personal rating: 10.

Then, let it be yours forever!

lasta wrote:
... However, as a new blade designer, Adyy is always interested in new testers.

True!

lasta wrote:
If anyone is interested in a PIF I'll be happy to forward the package at my expense. Please post if you are interested, and I'll let Adyy decide who gets them.

If someone here wants to make a test, please post here your wish. Lasta will send you the blade(s) by ground shipping, user tests for a month, writes a short review about the blade and send the blade(s) to the next tester (or to me).

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 03:28 

And here some designer comments 8)

002.2 Valiosaurus Mk II
First up is Valiosaurus Mk II

This is indeed the second design that I have made since I am building blades. It is the second iteration of that design number. That's why it is #002.2. I proposed it to Lasta, since this design went much much faster that expected and the colleague that was initially built for, started to out-speed everyone with this blade.
For this design I plan in the future a Mark III, having a thinner walnut outer (~0.55mm instead of ~1mm) and having a more commercial weight, under 90 grams.

012: 7-ply all spruce blade
This came up since Lasta reported me some test results about of a 7-ply all-basswood blade he had. The concept of a mono-material makes sense since this should eliminate the matchbox effect and I thought how can I further evolve this design. So the logical decision was to keep the 7 ply structure but use some other material, a bit lighter and possibly a bit faster that basswood. The obvious material available to me was spruce. Maybe cedar or pine or douglas fir could have been an alternative, but I had none available in the desired thicknesses. Meanwhile, things changed :D

020: 7 layer hardwood surface+spruce backbone
This, if you examine the pictures, is a 7ply all-spruce with different outer plies. The basic idea with this blade, was that I wanted to use a denser core than traditional ayous/kiri and go away from the big bounce effect given by a ticker&softer core. Also I wanted a hard outer in order to get a harder impact feeling. I used Wenge since it performs well in the hardness department. But it looks like it went too much hard/dull/unforgiving.
Maybe this design can be further (de)tuned to get away from the "two excesive" feeling it creates. Lasta's idea to use it as a base design for a modern defensive blade can be good, but we will see.

041: Hard Zebrano wood surface + dense wood core
Actually for this I was inspired from a defensive blade that I have built in January. The defensive blade was a cherrywood-balsa-white ash-balsa-cherrywood of 5mm and 78 grams. Frequency was around 980-1000 Hz. Very interesting structure, but yet, tunning it to become offensive ended up badly. But I still think this design is a work-in-progress and it can be further tuned/improved. I do not know if Lasta agrees, but to me this prototype had at least one nice feature: it feels like it gives you a good ball impact feeling.

042 - An improve OSP Ultimate
As Lasta mentioned this is inspired by the discontinued OSP Ultimate. Initial intention was to build something in the spirit of Clipper, but a tuned design, not a replica. I only changed 2 layers (2nd and 6th) in order to make it a bit reinforced and create a feel that it is there the harder you hit and tried to build it a bit
Why OSP dropped their design I have no idea. I think this design was originally intended for plastic balls and topspin/looping oriented players. Now they have a (detuned) Ultimate II on their catalogue, which has a spruce center-ply instead of mahogany.

----------
I think that after all this tests made by Lasta (and a bit confirmed by Nathanso) 2 conclusions are clear regarding SP dedicated blades:
- mono material blades like an all-spruce and all-basswood perform well;
- reversed structures with a central harder/stiffer ply cut some frequency and perform well on hard hits;

Last edited by adyy on 12 Jun 2019, 04:36, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 04:32 

Hi Nathanso,

nathanso wrote:
I've been working with BBC off and on over the years, most recently trying to optimize a blade for SP/LP play. We happened across Mahogany as a core material a couple of hears ago (the "Ghost" series) and it was immediately my favorite SP blade. Since then we've been experimenting with Poplar as a core material which I prefer over Mahogany.

Let me guess, poplar makes the blade feel somehow softer/milder and/or makes the blade a bit forgiving and cuts some of the high frequency?
Did you tested a poplar core blade similar in structure to the BBC Hinoki Ghost? If yes, can you post some measurements (thickness, head-size, weight, frequency) of both?

nathanso wrote:
My dream blade for SP is stiff and fast with a low vibration frequency.. qualities that Charlie tells me are mutually exclusive. But we keep trying. My only saving grace is that, as an OX LP player, I'm not bothered by blade weight of 100g or even higher.

There are a few aspects here. I think.
First is that Charlie is right. In a classic design (hard outers with/out some fibers and a thick low density core) having something fast and low vibration is hardly possible. Maybe with some synthetic fibers/layers something can be done, but I am reserved onto that.
Secondly the reversed type construction, like in the Hinoki Ghost, I think this is a good path that should be explored.
3rdly when using OX SP/LP and blades +100 grams, I think speed is obtained in a different way than with a classic blade. Here, speed is created by the weight of the blade that creates high inertia and transfers this energy to the ball during impact. In a classic blade, the thinner harder outer ply and the rubber structure act like a trampoline.
I hope you agree :D

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 04:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hi Adyy,

Out of respect for Charlie, since the Poplar-cored blades haven't been released yet, I'm going to refrain from sharing design specifics.. I hope you understand.

Your guesses about Poplar vs Mahogany are all correct. To my ear, the frequencies sound almost identical.. but they certainly don't play identically.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 05:31 

nathanso wrote:
Hi Adyy,
Out of respect for Charlie, since the Poplar-cored blades haven't been released yet, I'm going to refrain from sharing design specifics.. I hope you understand.
Your guesses about Poplar vs Mahogany are all correct. To my ear, the frequencies sound almost identical.. but they certainly don't play identically.

Any planned release date?

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 05:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

adyy wrote:
nathanso wrote:
Hi Adyy,

Any planned release date?
Not that I'm aware of.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 17:51 

skilless_slapper wrote:
Some fine hunks of wood there!

It was interesting to me that you labelled the spruce/fitche wood as a good one to use. Reason being, soulspin seems to specialize in this wood. I had some blades made specifically for anti-spin BH and short pip forehand. They weigh a lot... but due to the lighter rubbers, the overall weight is still within the normal range.

To me, seems like spruce has good potential that is not so much explored. Japanese builders have popularised hinoki/cypress because that is abundent there and easy to source.
If you are curious, maybe Lasta can send you the All-Spruce prototype.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Blade 1 - 127 grams
Blade 2 - 120 grams

Can you provide some thickness values and frequencies for those blades?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 21:31 

nathanso wrote:
My dream blade for SP is stiff and fast with a low vibration frequency.. qualities that Charlie tells me are mutually exclusive. But we keep trying. My only saving grace is that, as an OX LP player, I'm not bothered by blade weight of 100g or even higher. If Adyy cracks this challenge please post about it!

Hard or medium-soft feeling? I actually have a few ideas ...

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 00:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

adyy wrote:
nathanso wrote:
My dream blade for SP is stiff and fast with a low vibration frequency.. qualities that Charlie tells me are mutually exclusive. But we keep trying. My only saving grace is that, as an OX LP player, I'm not bothered by blade weight of 100g or even higher. If Adyy cracks this challenge please post about it!

Hard or medium-soft feeling? I actually have a few ideas ...
For the rubbers I'm using lately, JOOLA Express Ultra and Dr Neubauer Troublemaker OX, softer-faced blades are providing better results than harder-faced blades.