OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 15:34 

Blade: Galaxy Children's Carbon
FH: Nittaku Moristo DF 1.3mm
BH: Yinhe Neptune .7mm
In experimental stage between tournaments, I usually play one Usatt tournament per month, so I have 24 more days to figure this out. Been playing about a year with Nittaku's DF 1.3mm sponge, slightly tensioned rubber, ideal for looping, chopping and hitting.

Just had a good tournament went up 4 points to 1751 but not getting any younger and looking an extra edge.

Tried the Sandwind which is a very interesting rubber but only really effective on a faster blade, I lean toward all-around wood.

So I will be trying the 802-40 1.8mm tomorrow for club play. When I had the Sandwind and long pips no one wanted to play me in singles; perhaps short pips and long pips won't care away the competition :)

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 16:16 
Super User

Short/long pips should have nothing to do with whether or not people want to play with you. Stick with what you enjoy using.

If it really is happening because they took a look at your racket, find yourself another club with a concentration of higher moral standards.

If it is because of other social/communication issues, I won't comment.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 22:08 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
lasta wrote:
If it really is happening because they took a look at your racket, find yourself another club with a concentration of higher moral standards.

I doubt it has anything at all to do with 'moral' standards. I've played with LP on my BH for more than 90% of the last six years, and with SP on the FH for at least half, although I now use inverted rubber on my FH. Very often people don't want to play people with such setups because they know they're going to make a lot of mistakes. They find it frustrating that the speed, trajectory, and spin are not like that to which they are generally accustomed. They know they're going to hit a load of balls into the net, or off the table, which is going to be frustrating, and no fun. Many regular club players play table tennis for fun - they don't want to have to adjust, they rarely encounter pimples players, they don't play seriously, they don't enter competitons, and frankly, given a choice between playing their mate with a regular bat, and getting annoyed and looking like a complete patzer against a double pimples player, they, quite reasonably, prefer not to play. There's nothing 'immoral' about that.

However, a player who is mid 1700s probably doesn't want to be playing with these people anyway. Such a player wants to find people who relish the chance of playing against pimples, who know how to play against pimples, who can generate significant spin, feign spin, and play intelligently. If there aren't players like that in the OP's club, sure, that would be a reason to find a different club, if possible, but it hasn't got anything at all to do with the moral standards of the club.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 01:24 

The club I play in is pretty good, four tournament players besides myself, levels from just under 1000 up to 1900. I've played with long pips for over 20 years and pretty used to the players who have a "problem" with my style; pips should be illegal, they're unfair etc, my position remains the same, you're argument is with the ITTF not me.

Played my club's top players in doubles Wednesday night and they were having a lot of trouble with the Sandwind, not knowing how to react to it's different effects depending on my choice of strokes, however it was difficult to get the ball passed them because of it's slower speed, even with 1.8mm sponge.

And I have a great flat hit, my best shot (Typical of long pip players, lack of a consistent looping game, fall back to flat hitting when an opponent makes a mistake against the pips) so I know how to shift my body weight and snap my wrist through the ball and stroke.

Going to have to find a student where the Sandwind will compliment their game rather than be a hindrance to mine.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 02:48 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Sandwind is an antispin rubber, isn't it?

One of the reasons I've played with inverted for the last couple of seasons is that as an LP player, I need to generate and use spin, and the difference in speed and spin between my fh and bh is significant, and therefore dangerous.

When I had SP on my FH that delta wasn't so apparent, and so was less dangerous, and I felt I had fewer options.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have two rubbers both broadly incapable of generating much spin - you'd be entirely at the mercy of the other player, if they had half a brain.

That said I did enter a tournament playing double LP, for a laugh, and won quite a few games, but the standard wasn't very high.

FWIW I did use 1.8mm 802-40 for a long time, and found it very reliable and effective.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 17:56 

Trying out Sandwind 1.5mm on Friday and trying Pluto medium pips tomorrow. Wonder how long it will take me to break down and go back to inverted on the forehand.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 00:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
i use anti b/h and s/p f/h as im from a tennis background and dont really play my strokes right.ive never been coached and dont want to be as id rather find my own way.Ive been playing at a high league level recently and im pleased with my progress.the really good players have no problem with my game -depends what level you play at really.If you are winning easily i would suggest changing clubs so you get more competition.you may then need to change your equipment .i will try sandwind at somepoint .

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 01:35 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
flipper4pipper wrote:
Trying out Sandwind 1.5mm on Friday and trying Pluto medium pips tomorrow. Wonder how long it will take me to break down and go back to inverted on the forehand.

Be patient as a disruptive medium Pip on the FDH will cause both you and you opponents at lot of trouble. To avoid hitting everything into the net due to a low throw angle and low grip, you may find you need to come into the ball with a slightly open blade and stiff wrist ie avoid cloisng the blade too much as you hit.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 07:08 

Blade: Hallmark combi
FH: Hurricane 2 red side
BH: Curl P1 r .5. black side
Interesting but I get that about players being nervous challenging a pip or anti player.
Personally, I am playing LP/anti/rev. In my league (premier div), we all turn up and play no one really worries too much about rubbers, although a few do ask what I'm playing and of course I have no problem showing my set up.. I've long stopped enquiring about my opponents equipment, as I feel my way into the game anyway. last season I kinda felt my anti was limiting, as really good players can just power through the no spin. However. I feel I've upped my own game. My def is better especially fh chop, and blocks are better. mostly though being a modern defender one must have a great attack. Attack is essential. Combine with a solid defense/mix/change of pace. Then it starts to fall into shape...
Sorry I digress, I've heard about sandwind. It kinda sounds neither here or there. my anti is neo anti. I was given it years ago. Still plays pretty good, like a fine wine it matures with age lol