OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: TSP Reflex 50 Offensive
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 16:00 
I am Legend
I am Legend

The Reflex 50 Offensive has some foam between the handle and the blade at the neck. Anyone know what it's supposed to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 17:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I assume you've read the TSP comments on this:

Quote:
This sensitive offensive blade with the Reflex dampening system in half the length of the grip has, in a short time, become the TSP bestseller in Europe and Japan. Many TSP top players rely on the TSP Reflex 50 Award.

The REFLEX SYSTEM was developed with the idea that " The racket extends the movement and operation of the human wrist". The best feature is that the racket creates a slight bowing and a ball digs into it by working the special fabrics (impact absorbing cushioning) into the junction between the racket and the grip. This creates outstanding control and makes it easy to spin. In addition, stability immediately after the impact is fantastic, so it gives a ball quick flick and creates a high-speed ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 17:19 
I am Legend
I am Legend

yeah... I just got a penhold one. The actual blade is pretty stiff and I can't feel any flex at all. Can't really bend it either :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 18:22 

If I am not mistaken, this TSP Award 50 Reflex System (black surface color) has some kind of foam up to half the length of the handle. I don't know how it plays, but I once hold a TSP Reflex Offensive (natural wood color on surface) with some kind of foam inserted along the whole length of the handle. I don't know if this has to do with the foam, but when I bounced ball on bare blade, the blade overall felt soft with minimal vibration. The ST handle is very comfortable. Based on my experience bouncing ball on bare blades, this kind of softness usually translates to good looping but a bit lack of hitting / blocking. I have not played the blade (TSP Reflex Off, not the one Silver commented on) in real game, so I am not 100% sure. I also don't know the effect of foam on half or whole length of the handle. Is it better only half the length? Haggisv probably knows, which one is more popular? TSP 50 Award or TSP Reflex Off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 19:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes the original reflex system has the insert in the whole length of the rubbers, the new reflex 50 in only 50% (hence the 50 :P ). The 50 is supposed to bring back a little more direct feel. Both are looping blades.

The reflex blades are among the most popular TSP blades. I had a brief hit with the reflex 50 offensive and I thought the feel was beautiful.

I also heard the Dr N used the reflex defensive and won a world champ with it (veteran), this is before he started bringing out his own blades...

The penhold might be a little stiffer since its shorter of course. Are you going to try it Silver?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 20:15 
I am Legend
I am Legend

These aren't in any particular order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 20:19 
I am Legend
I am Legend

haggisv wrote:
The penhold might be a little stiffer since its shorter of course. Are you going to try it Silver?

Yep. Put some tenergy on it. Unglued H3BS is a bit slow on it and I don't really like the #19 sponge stuff. Still thinking about what to put on the BH.

The blade on the whole is pretty stiff, fairly hard, not that much dwell time purely in the wood. I assume that the dwell is meant to come from the reflex system. It feels pretty good with the tenergy on it anyway. Handle is a bit chunky, bit squarish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 22:05 

you have awaken my inner EJ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 22:36 
I am Legend
I am Legend

buahahaha.

Ok, I put Tenergy on the fh and platin soft on the back. 162g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 22:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Nice pics :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 23:37 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I also meant to ask - anyone know what the black layer between the core and 2nd layers is? The blade is listed as a 5 ply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 21:17 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Silver wrote:
buahahaha.

Ok, I put Tenergy on the fh and platin soft on the back. 162g.

I would like to hear how it performs after you played with it. I'm considering getting either the older Reflex Off (natural wood color) or the Reflex Award 50 (black color). Anyone had tried both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 23:12 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Ok. Played 2 matches, one doubles and had a hitup with my coach with this bat.

First off: It's got a pretty hard feel. I suspect this has to do with the laminated/varnished black top ply. Not sure what it is. Either way, it's hard and stiff and I didn't really have much touch compared to my acoustic.

The handle is a bit too chunky for my liking, but that can be fixed. It didn't really make any different to me. I couldn't tell what that layer of foam was doing when hitting anyway.

Over the table it doesn't really have that great a feel - vibrates a bit and it's a wee bit sharp for my liking, though not as sharp as the SawtechAR. Not really that easy to control over the table. Blocking had a good solid feel, looping was stable and fast albeit dwell was limited. I didn't have any problems spinning and smashing with it, though it does do the latter better than the former.

All in all it's a pretty decent blade. Definitely not the best blade I've ever used, but it does the job well. I'm not entirely sure hard rubbers like this tenergy work that well on it, but we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 02:08 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Hhhmm... didn't sound too exciting... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 02:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
To me it makes more sense for that system for SH than Pen because there is more leverage in the handle for shake, whereas Pen is not only shorter, but the handle plays less of a role in the stroke as the fingers are up around the neck more. Even with shake I could see that it might have little effect, but it looks like its supposed to be like a shock absorber like on a car...to give it a smoother ride LOL. If it all worked properly, you'd think it should increase dwell time by the fact the blade should be slightly giving way to the ball for a microsecond and then catapulting it back as the sponge recovers. All well in theory it seems :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.