OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Introducing: Brian Pace
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 16:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Brian Pace has joined our forum, and agreed to answer some of our question, and participate in discussions.

For those that don't know Brian, below are some details. Please join me in welcoming Brian to our forum!

Quote:
Brian Pace started playing table tennis at age 13 in 1986 from a USATT supported table tennis grant, with the goal of creating an Olympian. 75 kids started in that program, and 2 years later the program walked away with the most celebrated title at the Junior Olympics, the “Team Event”.

At 16, Brian was invited to live at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs and train with the best juniors in the country. Brian spent 3 years there, graduated, and moved to Augusta GA, where he led the Augusta College Jaguars to 2 Collegiate Team Titles.

This was the stage where the last of the players in his group quit playing, and Brian was the last man standing, which he calls it, “Last of the Brohicans”. Brian spent every summer training with 2-Time Olympian Jimmy Butler who was back from playing in the Swedish League. In 1995, with the Augusta program declining, Brian expanded his horizon by moving to New Orleans to become a private coach. 6 years before Richard McAfee told Brian he would be a better coach than player, and Brian had success with his first student in leading him to a National Junior Title.

Neglecting his program as a player had Brian leave the coaching job, and just focus on training. So he moved to Maryland to train with 2 Time Olympian Todd Sweeris, Olympian Cheng Yinghua, 2-Time Olympian Sean O’neil, Olympic Silver Medalist Gao Jun, 2700 rated Xu Hua Zhang, and National Collegiate Champion Sean Lonergan. This was the period when Brian reached his highest ranking of No. 4 in the US.

In 1997, coaching came calling in Miami, and Brian moved to take another stab at coaching. This time he was coaching more kids, and it was a more stable job. He soon enjoyed more success as 2 of the juniors he was working with went to the finals of their age event to play each other at the US Nationals. The next year Brian added more National titles to his coaching resume, but decided to retreat once more.

At this time Brian realized what kind of coach he would be, and it would be a coach for the “Everyday Player”. Brian states, “ You don’t have to be a professional to want those kind of results”. Instead of having high profile clients, Brian opted to deal with the masses of players that just simply wanted to keep getting better. “Coaching is a job for some people, but for me it was a calling and it had to be bigger than the parents wanting the National Title more than their kids. So I thank Richard McAfee for corning me at a tournament when I was 17 to plant that seed”.

All the while Brian was still actively a player and in 1999 was voted one of the most improved Olympic hopefuls and was given a brand new car (Saturn) from General Motors. The next 2 years would see Brian slowly continue to improve, all the while keeping his coaching a covert operation.

2001, saw Brian finish 1st alternate for the US Team, and instead of being upset or disappointed, Brian packed up everything he owned, put it in a storage unit, and moved to Romania. He didn’t tell anyone what he was doing, he just simply left. He took a summer trip to Sweden, Germany, and Romania. Viorel Filimon was such an intense coach that Brian decided to train in that program. Most players would have chosen the atmosphere of Sweden and Germany, but Brian was there for one reason, and it was to train. Brian states, “I wanted to be in an environment that you only could focus on eating, sleeping, and looping. If you think Rocky IV in Russia training in the snow, then you will have captured my training environment.

Richard influenced this decision and he said, “It would be a shame for you to end your career having never trained in a high level environment abroad before you retire.” So Brian needed to add closure, and he spent the next 2 and a half years training and living in Romania.

After the 2004 Olympic Trials, Brian retired and went right back to his covert operation of coaching. But the real reason Brian retired was, “Dynamic Table Tennis”. He had been working on creating a “Tae Bo” style training series for Table Tennis, but he was convinced he had to “ Own my existence”.

So he spent the next years learning every aspect of media production. In 2008, Brian reemerged at the Cary Cup as a player, made the round of 16 and was up 4-0 in the 5th game against the No. 2 Canadian at the time. Most players have to knock the rust off, and after Brian trained for 3 weeks he said, “My skills stayed submerged in a fountain of youth”.

Brian wrote a proposal to Butterfly to do short video segments as a part-time job. “They were a big company and had a large amount of the global market, but they didn’t have any kind of professional video program. So I offered a program to them because they had no one with name recognition working there, and I thought it was a perfect fit”. Brian produced a video 5 days week varying from tournament highlights, the “How To” Series, interviews, and the all famous “Rubber Reviews.

Months after Brian had taken the job he was asked to give over the rights to “Dynamic Table Tennis”, and he declined. Brian states, “I was already selling products on their website, and now I was asked to sell my soul. “If I did that I would be giving away the existence I had just spent the last 15 years creating for myself”, so Brian was told he had to give up the rights, or leave. He left.

Brian said, “All it did was speed up the DTT Movement. I walked away with a true since of pride because it is a rewarding feeling to be self actualized before you have the money. This website, these video, this entire experience is a testament to my intelligence and I don’t want that to be filtered. I want it to go straight to the table tennis community.

“Dynamic Table Tennis is my contribution to table tennis. It is a covert operation that has gone global, and it will never become corporate. “I’m a table tennis professional that has learned how to position myself in the global economy of the Table Tennis business with a product that won’t be overlooked. If you are going to do that, then your product better be the business. There is no company representing me. I am the company, and I’m representing myself, and I want to deal directly with the table tennis community, because I’m a “Pong Junkie” just like them.

Brian explains why his Video Series is so different. “Every aspect of the video Series was done by me, from the scripting, storyboarding, shooting, set design, etc. It is shot for a table tennis player, by a table tennis player. I’m looking at this as the “ Little Video Series” that could.

Brian has set his sights outside of just making money with the 2 Video Series, and wants to provide a table tennis service, which will include interviews of player and coaches, tournament highlight footage, and equipment reviews of all the major companies. “This is our sport. It belongs to the people that want to get better, the people that love to watch it, and the true diehard junkies. That is my core group and what sets me apart from most companies, is I live in that world of dealing with my peer group. I’m a high level player, but I’m still a player.”

“On the site there will be a multitude of different type of videos, and my goal is to have everyone bookmark the site and visit it 3-5 times a week. Brian states, “To do that you have to educate, entertain, and inspire”. Brian states, “ Every training video is using a training methodology equipped with theories and concepts that are so concrete that a person off the street will get instant education. It’s important to entertain your customer with clever angles, smooth transitions and slow motion to the point of the person saying, “I want to see that again.” The primary focus Brian states is to inspire. “I have been inspiring people around me every since I could remember that I had that kind of affect on people. Now, I’m simple offering my inspiration to the world.

World, “I’m Brian Pace”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 19:52 
The Artist
The Artist

Hey, Brian and welcome to the OOAK forum. It is a very cool place and I am sure you will fit right in. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 20:02 
Mars Attacks!

A big welcome to the forum Brian,
I have seen many of your previous clips and rubber reviews and always found them immensely insightful and enjoyable.

I really look forward to reading and sharing your insights and comments on this wonderful game as it is obvious to me that you love this sport.

cheers
Mars

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 20:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Welcome to the forum Brian. Look forward to your posts and talking TT with us. Hope you enjoy it near as much as we do! :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 20:27 
VaMP-ire Killer

welcome brian, I look foward to seeing your posts

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 21:16 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Welcome to the forum Brian!!!

Looking forward to see your posts as well, today I was speaking to friend and your name came up, I told him you will be participating in the forum.
He jumped and nearly touched the roof!!!!

Great fan on your videos and the work you are doing and your ideas with "Dynamic Table Tennis" .

Metal Monkey :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 00:07 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm really looking forward to chatting with you all.

I'm currently working on my first article for the forum which is "Dynamic Harmony", and it is the flagship concept that I have taught my entire career.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Best Wishes

Brian aka "Pacer".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 00:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well COngratulations on being our first "official" pro here Pacer! Dan Seemiller has made some posts here, but not in this "invited pros" area. Its terrific you guys participating in a forum like this. It really makes a connection between the Elite level and the club level, which I dare say would only really happen when pros do demonstrations or the like, which I wouldn't think would have as much opportunity to make either as considered replies or develop the relationships you can on a forum (which seems paradoxical given the anonimity of the forum). But hang around long enough and you get to know people pretty well from their writings.

Actually its strange you joining here. I don't know a heck of a lot of US pro names, but when I returned to TT after 20 years off the game, and before I joined here, I bought a premade bat from a US ebay site, and it was a Bty Brian Pace. I won't tell you what I thought of it though lol. Did you ever play with one yourself (and I don't mean professionally :lol:) ? Since joining this forum I have become quite an Equipment Junkie though and have found the joys of experiencing all kind of gear. So it was just one in series of trials. Some have been good, some not so good.

I look forward to your article, it sounds like it will be a very enjoyable read from the title. Good to have you on board. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 00:40 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Brian Pace wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm really looking forward to chatting with you all.

I'm currently working on my first article for the forum which is "Dynamic Harmony", and it is the flagship concept that I have taught my entire career.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Best Wishes

Brian aka "Pacer".

You live in Raleigh, NC???
So I guess you will be at Cary for sure?
Mind to hit a few minutes and record video for members here?
Raghu said you are really good and solid.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 01:21 

Reborn TT

I can give my personal opinion about the "Brian Pace" racket now that I'm no longer sponsored by anyone. "CRAP!" It is a racket that you will only be able to use for 2-4 months. I think it was made with the serious ping pong player in mind. Table Tennis players should not waste the time.

I think the company was trying to appeal to the customer getting the racket, then eventually upgrading, because that is the only way they would put such crappy rubber on the racket.

It was the no. 1 selling racket for Butterfly in that line of rackets for the last 10 years. Was it the racket? Was it the player? I'm not sure, but I'm going to parlay that success with the "Brian Pace" premade racket that will be out in 2010 with DTT and find out.

Bogey Hunter

I will be at the Cary Cup, but it will only be as a coach. I have so many clients that are playing, because the tournament is in my backyard that I decided not to play and coach instead. I'll take time to talk, coach, play with any members that are there if there is a table open, or I'm not coaching.

Just find me.

Pacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 01:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Pacer, just call me Reb, its easier to type lol. So glad you thought the same word about it as I did. Didn't want to offend you though lol. I had previously used a Bty bat that had Tackiness C and D on either side and it was great, even being 25 years old when I came back to TT. The power I could generate off those dead rubbers was lightening. Nothing I've used since has been as blazing fast. Mind you control was an issue, but I hit smashes with them that people literally had to assume hit the table as they could only see a blur (including me). I should never have tried to remove them to put new ones on the blade. Wrecked the blade and the rubbers trying. The funny thing was the old Tackiness actually had some tack, unlike todays. I gave them a drink of veggie oil (as learnt off this forum) and they could pick up a ball for a half second at 25 years old! They took me to my first ever premiership in the season I returned (2007) though. And have only had 2 runners-up since (all with newer equipment).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 06:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Brian!

I know you've tested some of the Tenergy rubbers. Now that you're no longer tied to Butterfly, I'd be really interested to hear what you think of these rubbers?

I read you also plan to do more equipment reviews... what equipment reviews are you planning to do in the near future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 00:33 

I have tried Tenergy 05, and Tenergy 25. I did 2 reviews of the T05 just to confirm that what I was saying in the first video was true in the second video. I stand by that rubber.

However, I did try the Tenergy 25, and I was very disappointed with it. At the time I was just leaving Butterfly, and I didn't want to bash their rubber, but it is awful. The pips are too large, which absorbs into the racket and that equals too much power being lost at the point of contact.

I started to chop with it, then I realized it was a chopper's rubber. I know that may sound crazy, but the pips are three times larger than normal, and they are so spread out that it has to be for absorbing & redirecting, not adding power.

I was going to do a review of it, but it was totally not worth it because it would have been, "Hello, my name is Brian Pace and T25 is not worth the purchase unless you are a chopper, have a good day".

I haven't tried the T64, but have heard good things about it.

I plan to do equipment reviews from all companies, and I'm in the process of receiving rubber right now. I think most companies want to use their own in house tech guru to review the rubber so they can slant their review of it. Once the site becomes more popular and they see that I have a unbiased opinion, I think they will be more receptive.

I'll keep you posted.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 00:44 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Brian Pace wrote:
I was going to do a review of it, but it was totally not worth it because it would have been, "Hello, my name is Brian Pace and T25 is not worth the purchase unless you are a chopper, have a good day".

Brian

Ha ha...I'm gonna buy it!!!
But seriously, 3 times larger?????

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Last edited by Bogeyhunter on 14 Mar 2009, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 01:32 

Speedplay

First of all, do you know that your screen name is the most popular road bike racing pedal in the world? I have them on my carbon fiber road bike, and they are the bomb. Just wanted to give you that tidbid.

You raised a great question. On the Butterfly website I was only giving my professional opinion about the pros of the rubber. I don't think upper management would have liked me really giving my personal opinion about some of the rubbers, so I felt just a little handcuffed.

When I was living and training in Europe I was using Bryce on my BH, and it was because I was training 4-6 hours a day, and I could use the anything because my touch was so fine. Because of the talent of my FH, I can still command my stroke with just about any rubber on the planet.

But on the BH, I have put on the parachute and downgraded to Catapult. That is almost going in reverse. So my personal opinion is T25 may be the rubber of choice for players that don't train everyday, and don't have that type of touch or command over their shots.

So many people were asking me when the next T25 Review was coming, and the truth is I didn't have anything to say.

Pacer

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!