OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 20:58 
The Artist
The Artist

I have no gap on the BH, but leave a small gap on FH.

Using cpen, I find it gives me a little more grip with the hookfinger against the front of the handle. If the rubber goes all the way up on FH, the handle and rubber becomes almost level and cancel out the height transition between them. This means I have not enough of handle to grip or lean on with the hookfinger.

My gap is about 1 cm. It is enough for me. I have the delicate fingers of a pianist. Or a woman , if you prefer to picture that ;) :lol:

On the BH, a gap has no practical use for me and also I prefer the BH fingers to rest directly on the rubber at all times. Also, I prefer it aestetically.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 05:12 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
I have some blades where I had stuck the rubber all the way to the handle. Then I started leaving a gap. Now I want to play with those rubbers as well, but if I move them up the they won't fit the head of the blade because of the curvature. What I mean is then I will have gaps where the blade head curves towards the handle. The best way to do it would be to simply leave the rubber stuck on and just cut off the base part. That means removing the logo and stuff. I am worried about the legality then, they are all legal rubbers but then players can question them because the logs and ittf seal will be gone. Should I go ahead with it anyway. The rubbers in question are a air of stag explosive rubbers, a Sriver L and a Yasaka Mark V. I really want to play with them again because I love the way they play. Maybe I can save the cut off part to prove my case if questioned?

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 11:12 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
If you cut off the logo, you will not be able to use them in a sancioned tourney. I would just move them up. The amount not covered will be small.

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 23:00 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Yeah, hookshot, you are right, I guess thats the best way, even with the small spaces left which will basically be in a part of the blade that is not really used.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 26 May 2009, 10:34 

Hello,
First of all nice forum :alien:

GAP ISSUE
(questions in bold)
I find the Samsonov Alpha, which itself is only 5mm thick and has a pretty small handle but with those two rubbers reaches 13mm, is still pretty thick. I'm planning to move the forehand rubber up 1cm in the hope this will decrease the angle between hookfinger and middle finger, which seems to be the pain variable for me. Wondering if I should raise the bachkand rubber while I'm at it? I'm thinking not, because it could be more comfortable to have the rubber under my curled up finger than wood - especially in summer considering sweat... does that sound about right?

As this is my first post I'll introduce myself.
In the early 90s as a kid I played penhold with a RITC one sided bat, sometimes splaying fingers a bit sometimes not all was fine. Then I stopped playing and took up again last year, since then I train about 8h/week. I bought the BOMB, and still have the early 90s RITC to compare and say that pretty much all ph blades seem to have got thicker handles now (maybe they sold me a small handle because I was a kid?). So much so that the BOMB actually saws into my hookfinger and I've had to sand it down but after sanding it down a bit (actually very little just to smooth the edge, didnt take off sizably much material), I played 3 weeks and found my hand was very painful, actually from the large angle it is forcing between hookfinger and big finger. I don't remember having this kind of pain with the old RITC. So I took up shakehand and played happily for 6 months, and when season was over I thought I really want to try this RPB which wasn't around before and looks very funky. Also I had noticed in the three weeks how my ph fh topspin had remained as natural and fun as I remembered. In comparison the shakehand fh topspin felt a bit pushy to me, like I had to close the bat angle a lot to get any decent topspin, and hitting just didn't feel as 'right' as with ph. I got this Samsonov alpha and stuck the pro xp on for backhand. That works a charm for me btw: found the stroke initially easier than expected, now I'm working on hitting more flat and without sidespin using pretty much exactly the shakehand gesture of swivelling around the elbow (like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJ7hGYQqF4&feature=channel ) - had to do this because I found the full RPB-cum-crazy-sideandtopspin loop was nice but if the ball came back I couldn't be in place to play a second one in time.

Think I'll be adding a second sheet to the bomb while i'm at it - considering Faster w/ German sponge. I'm hoping it will give me a bit more "mechanical" spin and less of the character of the higher that has two very distinct gears depending on whether or not you really get the sponge into it. I think I'll go for 2 gaps on this one, just so I can change sides to experiment. If I get consistent ideas about these experiments I'll post how it went. In the meantime, though I've read what you all tried, maybe someone else has felt this -basically, sore middle finger - symptom from penhold?

PostPosted: 26 May 2009, 10:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes, I put 3/8" or so distance between the handle and the bottom of the rubber, but it depends on the thickness and size of your fingers, so try it with that blade and see what helps. I keep the back side flush unless I'm planning to flip to the other rubber, then I use a smaller gap, maybe 1/4" or so.

I always sand down the edge where my forefinger rests pretty radically, not sure why more people don't do that. Never had finger pain from gripping penhold and no calluses either.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 04:00 

Here Wang Hao has no gap on FH, any particular reason for this? http://www.youtube.com/user/ttCountenan ... NtDko-l7cw

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 06:32 

Yea wang hao is not leave gap in fh because he wants to have more bh control (see post in page 1). On the other hand ma lin does leave a gap in his fh because he rarely uses he's bh and since he wants a wants a perfect and accurate FH he doesnt mind sacrificing some bh control.

I have a thing,dont know if you have it too, where after some time of playing my hands start to get sweaty. That's a bit frustrating because i have to have a towel next to me and sweep my hands. That's only affecting me in backhand cause sometimes i feel like i am gonna loose the control of the blade. So i am afraid that if i dont leave gap in fh my fh will get slippery too and i ll be overwhelmed..

P.S Do you know what blade,rubbers was wang hao using in World Cup 2010?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 05:06 

Blade: Tibhar lebesson
FH: Xiom vega europe 2.0
BH: Stiga DNA future 2.1
Could i also save some weight if i glue my rubber with a little gap (5mm)from my handle in my shakehand blade ,or it will affect the balance very much?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020, 16:47 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

The longer handle of a SH blade would have affected the weight and balance of the set up already. Trimming the rubber would probably counter that.
Why not get a penhold blade?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020, 22:56 

Blade: Tibhar lebesson
FH: Xiom vega europe 2.0
BH: Stiga DNA future 2.1
shaolinTT wrote:
The longer handle of a SH blade would have affected the weight and balance of the set up already. Trimming the rubber would probably counter that.
Why not get a penhold blade?

I play shakehand style but i wanna just save some weight from my set up the way penholders does it.