OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 02:47 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I'm not talking about the first post in a review thread here, I'm talking about actual threads.

Choosing a table tennis rubber without actually trying it yourself first on your own blade can be very difficult. When you read different opinions in the same thread about the same rubber, what are the key things you look for when trying to decide which opinion on the rubber you think is right. For example, do you look at what equipment a poster has listed in their signature as a guide, whether they mention that they have a similar style to you or do you steer away from people who describe certain makes of rubbers as fast when you've found them to be slow. Or perhaps you just read the equipment threads and have a giggle.

I'm not after a "naming" session here as to who you do and don't trust - that's not fair on anyone who has the guts to post an opinion, whether you agree with it or not, but I am interested in what you look for to help you make up your mind that the rubber being discussed might just be one worth buying for yourself.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 07:52 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Massive response.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 08:02 
Super User

Yes it helps if there is a robust discussion about the item. Especially for beginners or people who don't know much about equipment, reading about a wide range of opinions gives you a better idea of what to look out for.

For me, I haven't really tried a lot of equipment, so when I read reviews, I find it helpful if a person describes their playing style and level, as well as their views on the item. Then their descriptions have more context and meaning for me.

Someone who just says Rubber A is faster/etc than Rubber B, and quoting sponge thicknesses or hardness means little to me if I've never played with either A or B.

Just a newbie's point of view. :)

Juic Offense Ultima 2.0mm Red

Backup:
Blade: Stiga Optimum Sync C-Pen
Globe 999 National Team 2.0mm Red
729 804-40 Super Soft Pro Ver 2.0mm Black

On its way: Haifu Blue Whale II (Black Sponge) Red Label Factory Tuned

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 08:10 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I find it helpfull. I also know which reviews to put some weight on. Most helpfull is when one rubber or blade is compared to another that I have used.

Things I look for, #1, who the poster is.

Grins?,,,,Yea, get lots. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 08:28 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I am very fond of equipment reviews, I like to read up on reading everything I can on a product, especially just before i make a new purchase on a new product I have not tried before, as it narrows down on what I am about to get. Not only here in oneofakind but in other forums and online stores that have a review link.
The reputation of the reviewer does also influence me, first it would be the level of the player, the style and the experience of equipment junkie.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 08:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think I look for a few opinions that agree with each other... or if it's a person who really knows his stuff, one opinion might be enough...I'd be particularly wary if the person sells the rubber/blade, unless I know them to give unbiassed advice...

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 11:20 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I love them. And for consistency sake, that's why I love the template that haggis came up with for reviews. Makes it easy to ensure that you get all the information that you need.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 11:25 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

hookshot wrote:
I find it helpfull. I also know which reviews to put some weight on. Most helpfull is when one rubber or blade is compared to another that I have used.

Things I look for, #1, who the poster is.

Grins?,,,,Yea, get lots. :D

I agree totally here. Unless the review of a rubber/blade is against something that I have used, then it is pretty hard to judge. After all, spinny to some may not be spinny enough to another. Whereas if you say more/less spinny compared to this or that rubber that I have used, then I get a better relative picture.

I also find review useful in that it brings my attention to the existence of a certain equipment :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 13:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I hate them!! It just makes me want to buy more stuff!! :roll: :lol:

OK, that's only partially true. If I'm looking for something in particular then reviews are great. The more info the better on something you are interested in buying. And as Choi said, sometimes a review will pop up on something you had no idea existed and it can be very handy. Haggisv has always espoused some info is better than no info and I totally agree. Even if the info is not of great quality, its existence can ferret out people to disagree with it and reveal better facts or opinions. So a poor review (I don't necessarily mean just negative reviews) can actually be a catalyst for good information. Good reviews that trigger agreement from others obviously give great weight to the true characteristics of the product.

So overall reviews are great, but they just stir EJ urges that sometimes would be better left alone lol. :shock:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 23:14 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

I don't really care.
Most players(I'm one of them :D ) always give positive feedback after trying new equip like can loop everything, can not miss a shot, never miss a block then conclusion I only lost a close game !!!!! How can you lost when you never miss a shot?

Seriously, I ask a few people I know, seen them play of similar skills and style.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 23:56 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I definitely find the threads helpful because they usually get at nuances not available in the initial review. Often they note certain additional weaknesses or strengths of the rubber or blade, relate equipment to particular styles of play or to playing against certain kinds of players or simply disagree strongly with an initial review. And it does make a difference when a given rubber or blade gets universal or near-universal acclaim vs. one or two strong proponents with others who are lukewarm or strongly disagree.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 01:11 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I agree with Hookshot on this one. A lot of weight goes with who is posting it. If I know this person is new to the game and isn't that good, I take it as a grain of salt. But mostly I find new rubbers and paddles at the club. This way I can try them first hand.

There has been a time or two when I happen to know the posters name and look up his/her name. When I see what their rating is... I also grin and shake my head.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 03:20 

I read a lot of reviews - most of them were written very good, but didn't help me...
Only "the best blade/rubber i've used" or "damn fast" or "looping was great with this"... you know what i mean :wink:

I also agree with hookshot: i need to compare to other blades or rubbers!

I need to know in combination with which blade or which rubber it was used, how many times it was played (at the beginning it's always euphoria - reviews too early aren't helpful) and if it was used only during practice or in a competition and how does the reviewer play (style!!!).

What i like to know about the material is the touch and the throw!

Benny

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 04:32 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Mathias wrote:
Massive response.

Okay it was a massive response.

Yes I find them useful. However I need to understand a persons game in order to understand how they assess a rubber. Clearly the comparison is against the stuff they normally play with. Whether this is useful for my game depends on how close the styles are. The other thing is whether the reviewer has optimal equipment for their style. Finally alot is whether I can source within the UK.

Basically have I got help in my setup from this forum?. Yes heaps. Do I buy any equipment that someone recommends on a review - rarely but it can build up the overall picture of the product.

Is my kit optimal? The inverted isn't spot on, but I'll live with it.

The big factor of course is the blade / rubber combo which often gets ignored but can transform a rubbers performance.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 08:33 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Very much agree with what you've said in your post Mathias, in particular the blade / rubber combo aspect.