OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 05:57 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Get the Donic defplay senso and Dr evil ox. It's the best defensive blade and cheap.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 07:30 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I have 2 x Dr Evil on a "Joola Basic" blade as my hardbat setp. I know nothing about the blade - got it in a clearance sale... it's fairly light and all round. It plays nicely enough, but it emits a terribly high ping sound when I hit the ball. I guess it's a function of the blade, so I'd be interested to hear from other Dr Evil users. Maybe one day I'll replace the blade with something else.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 00:42 

Got information on the JOOLA Toni Hold White Spot
It is 15,5cm×16,3cm, so it's out of the question to put my srivers on it, but still it doesn't feel completly right to defend with the sriver fx's, I don't think a def blade would slow it down that much.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 02:53 

also it seems most people say one cannot play as good against sponge players with a hardbat :S

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 04:11 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I hope you realize that the more things you try to change, the more difficult it is to adjust.

I don't see any advantage to putting the same rubber on both sides of the blade. IMO, you are wiser to put something faster and very spinny on one side and something slower and not spinny on the other side, if you want to attack sometimes and defend sometimes. Its important to be able to send your opponent a wide variety of balls to keep them unsure of their attacks.

I suggest you look for an all around paddle rather than a defensive one if you want to attack sometimes, but if you try to go with orthodox for chopping, it might be too fast for all but the slowest blades. I've tried chopping with a number of short pips on my backhand, and every time they were too fast, even with no sponge, and I missed the spin continuation when I'd try to block or push.

If I was to suggest, I'd say try the short pips or inverted with thin sponge on one side and long pips with no sponge on the other.

Did you consider asking the coach that is ok with defensive play for his opinion of what a good setup for you would be? Maybe try that first if you are going to want his help.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 05:24 

Tried playing with long pips, felt pretty weird, maybe just my technique :S
I'm always worried of putting different rubbers on my blade, I get confused wich one to use and when :D
I will also ask the coath.

Thinkin of something like this though:

JOOLA Toni Hold White Spot
JOOLA Tango Ultra 1,8mm(thinnest) or Butterfly Challenger Attack 1,5mm (thinnest) on one side

on the other Side

Butterfly Orthodox, or JOOLA Octopus

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 06:37 
Super User

ChaserHUN wrote:
I'm always worried of putting different rubbers on my blade, I get confused wich one to use and when :D

JOOLA Tango Ultra 1,8mm(thinnest) or Butterfly Challenger Attack 1,5mm (thinnest) on one side

on the other Side

I have the challenger attack 1.5, and could neither chop nor attack with it. 1.5 is too thick for much chopping and too thin for attacking, IMO. I would want the Joola Tango Utra 1.8 if those were my choices.

Having made to switch to long pips myself, I suggest that you want to watch the Dr Neubauer training video and look for the Richard MacAfee ones on youtube as well as Gregg Letts ones to get ideas how to use them, and learn to chop first with them, since that is what you'll probably do most with them initially. The key to making them work was to keep playing with them for at least 30 sessions, and by then I was getting adjusted to playing with them. I would also suggest to play any matches with easy opponents while adjusting to them so you don't get frustrated and give up. If I was getting Joola Long Pips, I would want Joola Badman Reloaded 0X rather than the Octopus, since it has more reversal and deception.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 14:18 

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
ChaserHUN wrote:

on the other Side

I have the challenger attack 1.5, and could neither chop nor attack with it. 1.5 is too thick for much chopping and too thin for attacking, IMO. I would want the Joola Tango Utra 1.8 if those were my choices.

Having made to switch to long pips myself, I suggest that you want to watch the Dr Neubauer training video and look for the Richard MacAfee ones on youtube as well as Gregg Letts ones to get ideas how to use them, and learn to chop first with them, since that is what you'll probably do most with them initially. The key to making them work was to keep playing with them for at least 30 sessions, and by then I was getting adjusted to playing with them. I would also suggest to play any matches with easy opponents while adjusting to them so you don't get frustrated and give up. If I was getting Joola Long Pips, I would want Joola Badman Reloaded 0X rather than the Octopus, since it has more reversal and deception.

Than wouldn't be the Tango Ultra 1,8mm too fast to chop? I don't want to be limited to chop only with one side of the bat, since mainly I will do that, and attack occasionally.
How does Joo Sae Hyuk manages to chop with Tenergy 64 2,1mm? :D

In one review I've red it's pretty hard to chop with the tango ultra :S

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 15:22 
Super User

ChaserHUN wrote:
Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
ChaserHUN wrote:

on the other Side

Than wouldn't be the Tango Ultra 1,8mm too fast to chop? I don't want to be limited to chop only with one side of the bat, since mainly I will do that, and attack occasionally.

In one review I've red it's pretty hard to chop with the tango ultra :S

I have never played with Joola Tango Ultra. It was too expensive for me to even consider trying it. In the past 3 years, as for short pips chopping, I tried TSP Spectol, 802-40, 802-1, Palio Flying Dragon, Challenger Attack, DHS 874, DHS 651, DHS 652, Senrei, and probably a few more if I thought longer. Most of those are known for being able to chop well, and I tried them all with 0X to 2.2 mm sponge, and could chop with all of them up to about 1.8 mm, but I couldn't attack well with any because my style and strokes are not right for short pips hitting, and so instead of my attacks winning points, I would just invite counter attacks, and would lose the point because I was out of position to chop it back. The end result was I gave up on short pips for forehand chopping, and instead chop with the inverted on my forehand.

Anyway, As I said, you only gave the 2 choices, and I knew the Challenger Attack didn't work, so I figured the Tango Ultra wouldn't be any worse than me chopping with 1.8 mm inverted which is what I do on FH. I only attack rarely, but its really demoralizing if I attack and it fails and I lose the point because my attack was too weak, and that was what was happening when I tried it with less than 1.8 mm sponge on either inverted or short pips.

The advantage of having one side spinny, one not, is that the chops you send with be dramatically different depending which side you chop with. The key to chopping with spinny rubber is that the blade needs to be moving faster than the ball is spinning or its going to pop up. I can chop with thicker sponge as well, but my chops seem to be a bit higher. As long as you almost never try to attack, you could go with thin 1.0 mm sponge or even 0X on the forehand side. You might consider defensive inverted rubber, too, if you plan only to attack very rarely if ever. Juic makes Elite Defense with 1.0 mm sponge, which I've played with, and it can really serve or chop.

Joo is so good. If you can chop like that you should get a coach. Like I said before, maybe you should ask a coach anyway.

Last edited by Old-Man-Southpaw on 23 Jul 2014, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 18:38 
LP Collector
LP Collector

ChaserHUN wrote:

Ability, and practice :)

Seriously though... sounds like you're tying yourself in knots. I understand: I've been in the position where I've even literally had dreams about which setups to buy and try. My advice? Just pick *anything* and play with it for a while. The only question to need to answer at this stage is whether you're going to for:

a) Hardbat
b) Double Inverted
c) Pips on one side

There are slight variations here... you might have an SP/LP combo... but really, just pick the family, and get what is inexpensive and generic. Spend your time and money on practicing, video yourself, inspect and adapt.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 18:41 
LP Collector
LP Collector

ChaserHUN wrote:

Seriously though... sounds like you're tying yourself in knots. I understand: I've been in the position where I've even literally had dreams about which setups to buy and try. My advice? Just pick *anything* and play with it for a while. The only question to need to answer at this stage is whether you're going to for:

a) Hardbat
b) Double Inverted
c) Pips on one side

There are slight variations here... you might have an SP/LP combo... but really, just pick the family, and get what is inexpensive and generic. Spend your time and money on practicing, video yourself, inspect and adapt.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 20:35 
Super User

LordCope wrote:
ChaserHUN wrote:

a) Hardbat
b) Double Inverted
c) Pips on one side

I agree on some points there. I think it also depends on how much he wants to win vs how much he wants to play with a setup or style he enjoys playing. There are people that enjoy playing hardbat, but they are giving up a lot of their spin potential to do so. Likewise their are probably people that can chop well with inverted on both sides, but I've just never seen or met any, and I think he's been suffering with trying to play as a double inverted chopper using the Sriver and hardbats, and that's why he's here asking.

I think the most important thing equipment wise is to at least have equipment that can do the shots you will need to do to play the style you play, well, and then practice and play with it enough to really get used to it. For me, it takes up to 30 sessions just to see if I can adjust to a new rubber or blade, and see if it has the potential to do all the shots I need from it. To really get used to it usually takes me at least 100 sessions, so I think he probably wants to at least spend some time choosing well so he doesn't find himself wanting to change EVERYTHING again, like he is now, because after the changes are made, it will be a while for him to build his game around it, and really get good with it. For me, that's when its really fun, when I can make the ball do what I want it to, because that's when its all worthwhile in my mind.

If he really wanted to do it the easy way, maybe he should just put some good 0X Long Pips on one side of his current blade, and go chop with it for 30 sessions. That way he would only need to adjust his game on one side, and the change would come about much quicker at a much reduced cost. After 30 sessions, he would probably know if he needed a new blade or different inverted, and what needed to be different about it, if he did.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 05:39 

Played with this today:

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140723/2014-07-2 ... es.hu_.jpg
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/view/140723/2014 ... es.hu_.jpg

It was pretty good, the Tibhar Supra felt bit fast for defensive chopping, but the spong is 2mm I think, could do some pretty good offensive shots with it, the other side I have no ide what is, could chop pretty good with it, but would have been better OX version.

Thinking of maybe putting a JOOLA Topspin C on one side and a Badman Reloaded or Octopus OX on the other side.

I have sriver fx's now, because I was mainly taugh to play offensive, but I'm better at defense, also I like to play it a lot more the srivers doesn't suit my playing too well :S

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 06:28 
Super User

I haven't played with Joola Topspin C, but it looks like its designed for chopping, and the ratings look good for it. Same for Badman Reloaded 0X.

I can't tell what kind of blade it is other than that its at least 3 ply, and that its likely pretty old because neither rubber has an ittf number, but the main thing is if you like how it chopped and hit, and I'm assuming it can be bought cheap, too. If you can identify the blade, I'd suggest checking to make sure its not super fast, because to chop, you need more control than speed.

I think you've likely found what you were looking for at this point, so good luck with it, and remember to give yourself plenty of practice time to adjust to the setup.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 14:38 

I mainly have an idea what I want I think. Still I think I like short pips better than long pips. It's easier to hit and smash with it, the long pips didn't seem to give my opponents as much trouble, but on the other hand it was easier to block topspins with it.

On the other side I think I will be going for something like the joola topspin c or butterfly tackiness chop. I saw there was a rubber called challenger chop, but it got discointued, any good alternatives for challenger chop maybe?

Comparing the two blades:

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/jool ... -spot.html
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/butt ... fence.html

The butterfly seems hard and stiff, whre as the joola is more felixble and sof, would this make it that much harder to occasionally attack with the joola?

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/doni ... senso.html
Seems the defplay senso is more in between the two

Sorry for asking too much questions, but if I invest money in to something, I don't want to change it too soon :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!