OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2014, 22:50 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Welcome clarity...........

This week, the SDTTL Management have been debating on which Table Tennis Ball our league should be using for all  league match play and competitions next season 2014/15.

The decision made is that for all League and Competition matches in the Southend and District Table Tennis League for the 2014/15 season, you are to continue with the exclusive use of the Celluloid Table Tennis Ball.

The debate arose as it was questioned about the performance of new ball and what if a team refused to play with either the old or new in a League Match.  Would this cause a problem as some people would be used to the plastic as they have managed to purchase some and been practicing and others have not.   Apparently there are two types of plastic ball, seamed and seamless.  I am told that both bounce differently and both bounce higher than the celluloid ball.  Some have said that the plastic is slower and some have said it is quicker.

Once again Table Tennis England would not make a clear cut decision for Local Table Tennis.  if you look at the bottom of their newsletters it says, “It is a decision for the Local Leagues which ball will be used and Clubs then abide by that decision”. 

So I repeat, for all League Matches and Competition matches in the Southend and District Table Tennis League for the 2014/15 season, you are to continue with the exclusive use of the Celluloid Table Tennis Ball.

It was interesting that at the Essex County Meeting last night (17 July), Romford and Chelmsford Leagues have also said that they will continue with the Celluloid ball for 2014/15.   The Essex County have also said that for all Essex County Competitions (inter-league inclusive) they will continue with the Celluloid Ball for 2014/15.  Obviously we will have to watch this space as at present Table Tennis England have said it will be compulsory come 31 July 2015 to use the plastic ball.

Talk is, that there has not been enough research into the performance and durability of the new ball and that China and Germany have in fact refused to use it full stop.  Interesting.

Kind Regards

185g

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 04:49 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
This season is going to be silly. As I understand it, we're going to allow the home team to decide which ball to use, which means having to adjust between balls on a match by match basis. It's tricky enough making adjustments but having to keep adjusting back and forward all season is going to be a nightmare!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 12:25 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
An Australian local league does not even have the poly ball on the agenda yet. As I'm on the committee, and there have been no local sightings of the poly ball yet, I might just suggest that we stick with the celluloid ball for the rest of the year at the next committee meeting, to head off any shenanigans from the clubs / teams. :)

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 07:35 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Update for local Australian league with regards to the poly ball - the president has stated to committee that comp games will be only with celluloid ball, presumably to be confirmed by committee.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 08:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This TTA's response when I asked them a few months ago for ourTable Talk Newsletter:

At present TTA is taking a wait and see approach with regards to the new poly ball.
TTA is sponsored by Adidas and we receive quantities of the old ball (Celluloid) for use in all National Champion-
ships. TTA will continue to use the Adidas balls at least until the end of this year by which time we will have a
better understanding of the availability of the new balls and can make a more informed decision on 2015 events.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 08:17 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Club secretary just posted this update:

Quote:
Table Tennis England had initially proposed to introduce the new ball for Grand Prix events and National Championships from the start of this season - subject to availability. However, ETTA have now had to postpone the introduction of the new plastic ball because of a lack of widespread availability.

Consequently, the celluloid ball will be used at the first two Grand Prix events of the season – at Liverpool on August 16-17 and at Medway on September 6-7.

She also cited an update from Teesport which pointed to uncertainties about quality, availability and even form of the new ball, and stating that county and British league matches will be played with the celluloid ball, and recommending that local leagues do likewise.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 08:32 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Aren't TeeSports heavily involved in selling Butterfly products. And aren't Butterfly allegedly only taking the second batch of plastic balls which are allegedly supposed to have better production qualities. My understanding is that Butterfly might not have a plastic ball out until around Christmas. That's a late start in a market where first in gets a head start on competition.

Could it possibly be in TeeSports interest to recommend the delay because it fits in with Butterfly's marketing strategy whilst also damaging to Butterfly's competitors?

All these are only questions of course and not statements of fact.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 08:39 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Yep, good observations. I'm attempting to upload the image of the update from TeeSport...

Attachments:
File comment: Plastic Balls
tees-poly.jpg
tees-poly.jpg [ 980.37 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 10:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
If thicker ball walls are allowed, the weight tolerance must go up.