OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: GuoYueHua blade
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 17:39 
Super User

If the rotation has an significant effect on play, then it can be seen on video. If it can't even be seen, then it's not significant by definition.

There was a paper/study on the poly from Tianjin university conducted on fairly high level chinese players. 50% thought it was faster on topspin, 30% slower. 24% didn't think spin changed. This was >1 year ago when overall ball quality wasn't the greatest.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23019

Personally I don't understand the crusade against the new ball. Everyone's level will still remain the same and fast-loop-attack will still dominate. For whatever reason some folks (esp at less than elite level) will convince themselves that faster equipment will be necessary yet still won't improve nor get worse. It's like 38->40mm except a smaller change. The ITTF achieved all of nothing with that, yet for some reason some still hold out hope that something magical will happen this time.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 18:27 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I have had a modest hit with 3 varieties of the new ball. They appear to bounce a fraction less but I didnt notice a great deal of difference re spin. The overall difference is certainly not as severe as that between the 38 and the 40. The introduction of the 40 was one of the darkest events in history.

To me, all the talk about equipment designed for the new ball smells like what male cattle drop in paddocks.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:07 

If there were no diff on new balls nobody would talk about them..
If you play on higher lever you use rotatios more then on lower level, so for me there is diff like for all player with I played with..
Crusaide? no crousaide, nobody can reverse new balls, but every now and then they change some s***. Last time when they changed gluing you couldn't find decend rubber for a half a year..and it is problem when you play for money..

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:19 
Super User

Can you at least attempt to quantify the problem? 5%? 20%? 50%?

Is the claim that a lower level player can't spin the ball enough for this to manifest? I swing through the ball pretty damn hard for an intermed player (I use Stiga AC to loopkill). Carbonman is not that far removed from pro level, so maybe this is problem exclusive to elite player like yourself?

Last edited by agenthex on 02 Oct 2014, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:20 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

There is certainly a difference - the question is how dramatic is this difference. There seems to be differing opinions regarding this.

At my club we play for $2 per best of 3 games. One day I won $8.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 07:06 

back to topic

- after a while with guoyuehua blade I can say that control is outstanding, speed id something like OFF on butterfly scale
- a college from club where I train also decided to take one blade, people generally like this blade
- for 12$ it is unbelivable how good is this blade

- I bought guoyuehua crystal carbon blade, it is also low price, now it is league competition time for me, so I will just try it(report later), in christmas perriod maybe play more with it, i suppose it will be good for new balls becouse od high speed

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 17:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

h3neo wrote:
I bought GuoYueHua blade on aliexpress for 12.50$ , real good deal. It is this "darker" version
http://goo.gl/0TjQoJ

I am impressed that for such low price you can buy such good blade, when I look at prices of butterfly I think - are thay selling space shuttles or table tennis blades? :)
I ordered it more for fun pourposes, to try something new. Until this blade I recently played with Sword blade(84$) and Stiga Clipper CR (58$).

$11.84 here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 87462.html

Interestingly enough, unavailable via Eacheng. Only two vendors on AliExpress carry it.

This is a carbon blade, they apparently use wenge throughout, interestingly enough. No weight mentioned. There's one all-wood "beginner" blade in the lineup, one titanium blade (for under $19!), the rest are carbon blades.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2014, 09:23 

yes, that titatium seems interesting, maybe I'll try it in Christmass brake

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2014, 09:38 
Super User

Do you hit/drive the more ball more? A faster blade is not going to replenish the spin if that's the trouble with the plastic ball. You need more elastic/expensive rubber for that.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 01:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

"Crystal carbon" sounds like HRT (they make three blades using what they call "crystal carbon"). Maybe they OEM the blade. "Crystal carbon" seems to be a copycat (namewise, if not substance-wise) of Stiga's "Crystal Carbo" (which is powdered carbon mixed with the glue used to glue the plies together).

Iskandar