OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 15:16 

Hey guys I've been playing ping pong since September. I've only been playing with the Stiga Performance Racket that came in a 4 pack. However, I usually play 2-4 hours Monday - Friday so I think I have improved a lot. I think it's time for me to get a new racket one that will help me develop from beginner to intermediate and above. One thing I do like about the Stiga Racket is the thump and feeling that I hit the ball(LOL) I've been reading a lot on this forum and many guides, and from reading those I know that I want to make a custom racket. Here is some information about my style of play:

- Shakehand Grip
- I tend to smash/drive with my forehand
- I chop/push with my backhand rarely forehand but I will learn
- I serve a combination of top spin/side spin/back spin but I use top and side more than back spin on serves.

So I guess I am or on my way to becoming a modern defender. I also play behind the table since our ping pong table at work doesn't really have much space to move 10 feet back etc. So typically I'm directly behind the table or up to 4 feet away from the table. I hope I've given enough information for some recommendations. I don't mind spending good money on the racket between $150-$300. I also would like to keep the racket as light as possible.

I'm looking forward to everyone's recommendations on blades and rubbers

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 16:05 
Super User

Butterfly Peter Korbel + two Xiom Europe Rubbers in 2.0.

Korbel is can-do-no-wrong blade and it's cheap and many pros use it. It's a perfect speed and relatively light.

Xiom Europe are fast enough for high level play but forgiving enough for developing players. I know some people might recommend old generation rubbers because of your level, but I wouldn't listen to them. :angel:

Your question is also so big and open-ended that you might end up with hundreds of responses. Good luck and go to a club if you can.

If you want to save some money, go to colestt.com and buy a W-6 blade + two Air Illumina rubbers. Will be just as good as what I described above but save you quite a bit of money.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 21:00 
Super User

To early to define your style so get beginner friendly custom combo.
Eurojap : Yasaka extra all+ with two Yasaka Mark V (1.8 mm) rubbers. Around 90 $ + shipping
Chinese: LKT Instinct+ with two Friendship Cream transcend (1.8 mm) rubbers. Around 25 $ + shipping

I'd go with Chinese setup. Balanced, controllable, durable, cheap, great to begin.
Yasaka setup is even a bit better but price is much higher.

I could recommend setup for you described style but better not. Get something universal and decide much later.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 22:20 
Super User

Friendship Cream is tacky and therefore very reactive to spin. I wouldn't recommend this rubber to anyone, unless they really love cheap, tacky rubbers.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 00:56 
Super User

josesiem wrote:
Friendship Cream is tacky and therefore very reactive to spin. I wouldn't recommend this rubber to anyone, unless they really love cheap, tacky rubbers.

As tacky goes, Cream is not that tacky. Also real tackiness goes away fast and you get something really easy to use. So for Chinese stuff, this is good choice. If you have rubber that is reactive to spin (Cream is not that reactive as some others), you are going to need to learn to read opponents spin and that is a good thing. I would recommend spin reactive Chinese rubber rather that faster Euro rubber because you'll progress faster with Chinese rubber. You need to learn spin and cannot count on speed to bail you out.
Maybe Hurricane is not for beginner, but Friendship is pretty friendly... ;)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 09:10 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I agree with Obi that its too early to define your style. Some cheap Chinese stuff is fine for now. A sensible blade with something like KTL XL (haggisv put me on to this) would be ok.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 10:25 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
carbonman wrote:
I agree with Obi that its too early to define your style. Some cheap Chinese stuff is fine for now. A sensible blade with something like KTL XL (haggisv put me on to this) would be ok.

Do you mean KTL XP Pro?

Agree with both this and the Mark V but there are plenty of rubbers like that very similar, Nittaku Magic Carbon and Donic Vario to name a couple but Mark V seems to be the benchmark.

As far as blades go, there are chinese options which Iskander will tell you about but if you are prepared to spend a little extra, the Yasaka Extra would be a good choice along with the Donic Allplays and Stiga Allround/Evolution. There are differing opinions however a common one is not to go too fast with a blade and don't buy a tensor rubber just yet. By sensible, I think Carbonman means not too fast. Stay out of the OFF, OFF+ range.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 13:42 

How about the BTY Primorac?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 15:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Phaseshift wrote:

The Primorac (not to be confused with the Primorac Carbon which is much faster) is a good solid all-round blade as well, so that's a good choice too.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 15:49 

haggisv wrote:
Phaseshift wrote:

The Primorac (not to be confused with the Primorac Carbon which is much faster) is a good solid all-round blade as well, so that's a good choice too.

Going with the Primorac w/ Sriver 1.9mm for both sides what do you guys think?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 15:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That should work very well. :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 16:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Phaseshift Said:
Quote:

I think the blade choice is good, and the Sriver 1.9mm is a good forehand choice. But I don't think Sriver 1.9mm is a good BH rubber if you like chopping, it's a bit too fast for chopping. If you try Butterfly Tackiness chop in a 1.5 mm it will reduce your weight and be a bit slower, thus allowing for chopping. The Tackiness Chop can still be used for Topspin and Attack.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 16:08 

glennholder wrote:
Phaseshift Said:
Quote:

I think the blade choice is good, and the Sriver 1.9mm is a good forehand choice. But I don't think Sriver 1.9mm is a good BH rubber if you like chopping, it's a bit too fast for chopping. If you try Butterfly Tackiness chop in a 1.5 mm it will reduce your weight and be a bit slower, thus allowing for chopping. The Tackiness Chop can still be used for Topspin and Attack.

hmmm!! You make a valid point, I was also thinking about feint long II for my BH, between the Tackiness Chop in 1.5mm and Feint Long II which one would you guys recommend?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 18:27 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

As has been mentioned before, you wont have a defined style yet. 98% of beginners who post here would say they like to attack with the fh and chop and block with the bh. Just get invrrted both sides and see how you develop. Sriver, Tackiness, KTL XL Pro etc are all fine for you.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 19:48 
Super User

For newbies starting at our club, for first / second bats, I usually suggest do it all style Chinese rubbers / blade, largely coz of price in case they give up, and because they are should think about learning the game / strokes and not deciding on style yet.

If they want to spend more, or have pretty good strokes then I'd recommend either Stiga / Donic allround blades, which would be likely to last and suit most styles that develop, and compliment most rubbers. Mark V as are Sriver, Stiga Mendo, Donic Coppa are solid do it all choices...and I'd say stick with that for next 1-2 years, depending on development.